Seattle fans Over 30 years Old Thread

hawkpride

Reaction score
55 years young here. I was living in west Seattle and going to school at Queen Anne high from 73-76, so I watched the kingdome being built as I drove the viaduct every day.
The memories that really stand out were the Zorn to Largent passes. Man Steve Largent had glue for hands. The Bronco's and Raider's games were not to be missed. Just like the 49er's and Seahawks of today.

MexHawk

Reaction score
42 soon to be 43. Started to follow the team in 83, and fell in love with it in 85: I wrote a letter to the team and they wrote back, to a fan in Mexico, could you believe that? They sent me a letter, some stickers (that are still sticked to the wall at my parent's house) and a little flag, oh and the merchandise catalog of course, the front page of it had John L. Williams, and I used it as a cover for one of my school notebooks, it looked amazing :D I still have it.

Didn't get to watch Zorn, but Largent, Krieg, Warner, and the rest of the team. And here we are, in a season full of expectations, let's win it all!!

stack600

Reaction score
54 years young. My 1st memory is of getting a franchise. picture a H.S. junior 5'7" 145 lb RB/LB. I could play for these guys someday. (ofcourse that didn't happen) My 1st on Field memory Sherman Smith running behind Steve August for a 20 yard gain. Fav Players.
1 Easely 45
2 John L 32 ( I think memory on the # fading)
3 Warner 28
Paul Moyer 21 (If the young people don't remember, You know that guy that talks on the radio pre game Sundays, played thru a double rupture to a couple of things us men know hurt win hit let alone ruptured. In a playoff game. tough guy in my book)
5 Greg Gaines 56

Stainlesssteve

Reaction score
My first post... I'm 44... Original season ticket holder. I've been to almost every Seahawks home game. My favorite all time player has to be Largent.

As I recall John 'L' got his name because there were 2 John Williams in training camp. The other was John 'A' I think. He didn't make the roster. Kept the 'L' anyway...

In college I was on a knowledge bowl team named 'Alonzo Mitz'.

Renohawk

Reaction score
I've been a Hawks fan since the day they began. One of my highlights was as a 19yo, going to Cheney and getting to go into the Hawk workout area and snap pictures of players working out on equipment, I still have those pics of Largent, Zorn, Warner, Michael Jackson, and many others working out and if I knew how to post them here, would love to share.

HawkWow

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":yr06nphr said:
HawkWow":yr06nphr said:
Love me some Lynch...but I'd trade Lynch in an instant for John L. He was that good. Like a cross between Earl Campbell and Curt Warner. I envy those of you too young to remember him, but you missed the best player nobody ever talks about.

This statement is just silly. Totally different animals, and Beast is the hardest runner to ever wear blue and green.

"Totally different animals" > Care to elaborate? Cuz my memory recalls both men as ball carriers for the Hawks. We're not talking safety vs. TE here.

"This statement is just silly" > My interpretation of that comment is " I don't have a clue, but I'll post anyway". John L was used as a tailback frequently. Had his blocking not been so exceptional, he probably would have played TB exclusively (over Fenner) but he was too valuable and well rounded for that.

Your post diminishes John L (vs. Lynch) basically, because he could do MORE things than Lynch. Now, that's silly.

John L ran hard too. He was our first "Beast", but did I say he ran harder than Lynch? No, I didn't. What I said was I would take him over Lynch (because he would be more valuable to this 2013 Hawks team than Lynch). Lynch, BTW, is my 3rd all time fav Hawk.

Another uninformed poster in this thread said John L's value would better compare to MRob's. I'm not going to dissect this comment, just wanted to use it to show what "silly" really looks like.

Picture a cross between Strong and Lynch, but with better hands. That was John L. Williams.

HawkHouse

Reaction score
My name is Erik and I'm a Seahawks fan, ... support group together, "Hello Erik"

I'm 41 and my first Seahawk game was in 1980. My parents divorced when I was little and when I would visit my Dad on weekends, he would take me to games at the Kingdome.

Sonics, Sounders, Mariners and Seahawks.

We'd spend the day at the Seattle Center and I rode the kiddie rides and had snacks, we always went up into the Space Needle and afterwards, we went to a game.

Enjoyed all the sports but Sounders and Seahawks were my favorite.

Zorn to Largent ... my friend and I would play catch and run routes, one of us being Zorn, the other Largent and we would do the play by play as we did it ... "Zorn out of the shotgun, looking down field, he's got Largent wide open ... :179417:

Support group yells, "Touch Down Seahawks" !!!

Seattle1980a
Seattle1980
Seattle1980b

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I'm 46. My recollection starts from day one. Family being from Pittsburgh after migrating West, during the Steelers prime.

We had Niner/Raider games, but the famed Steelers always seemed to be the national game. My mother and I watched football together every Sunday. I mean we didnt miss games. She would let me stay up on MNF too.

That first day, the Steelers were against the Raiders, a must see game. But during the pre game, she turned the channel and saw the Hawks. She said "oh, here is that new team in Seattle". Living in Gresham, OR, Seattle seemed like cross country to me as a 9 year old. That didn't matter, I LOVED the blue uniforms. I became a Hawks fan immediately, they were pure, new, fresh and different.

I demanded that we watch that game instead of the Steelers. This would mark the first time we didn't watch a game together. Mom went upstairs and left me to watch them lose, but in the 4th quarter, Zorn made it close and I was hooked. It was a weird year because the Hawks were NFC and the Steelers were AFC, so there were a few times that both teams were on TV.

I was there for the Expansion bowl. The first Hawks win. It was like yesterday to me. I will never forget the excitement I felt as MY team, not the family team won their first game.

My mom died last year in Feb. But let it be known that she passed a Seahawks fan. The final transformation taking place in my family room in Feb. 2006, when even she thought the Hawks got screwed. During BeastQuake, she was in a wheelchair, under hospice care. It would mark the first time she jumped out of that chair in excitement screaming. Talk about emotional time for my sister and I, with families in her presence.

Most guys identify their football memories with their dad, but my mom was the one who got me into it and I won't ever forget that moment she told me "here is that new team in Seattle".

Sometimes being older has it's advantages.

HawkWow

Reaction score
"My mom died last year in Feb. But let it be known that she passed a Seahawks fan. The final transformation taking place in my family room in Feb. 2006, when even she thought the Hawks got screwed. During BeastQuake, she was in a wheelchair, under hospice care. It would mark the first time she jumped out of that chair in excitement screaming. Talk about emotional time for my sister and I, with families in her presence". ~lofoftatupu

I highlighted this part of your story because of the story inside the story. This is what sports, football in particular, offers both individual and family alike: Hope.

Sorry to hear about the passing of your mom. #12 lives on in her memory.

hawkpride

Reaction score
One more to add to my earlier post. To this day, I can see in my memory the brutal hits Paul Sanski took catching passes in the middle, and still not only getting up off the turf, but still holding onto to the ball.
I also can remember watching Steve Raible (the news commentator) catch many a pass.

m0ng0

Reaction score
42 years old and a fan from the start, I remember collecting the Nalley's potato chip boxes that had seahawks on the back, I got a Zorn jersey with the rubber numbers and a seahawks helmet for christmas when I was 8.

This was my first truly concrete memory because it was Howard Cosell on monday night football !

[youtube]IQf1rhAE_34[/youtube]

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I don't remember what my "first" memory of the 'Hawks is, but I do remember my dad getting us tickets to the game against KC for my eighth birthday in 1979. Seattle got blown out 24-6 but I loved the experience.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'm 45 years old. I remember when Cornell Webster was returning kickoffs for the Seahawks in the late 70s and early 80s. Not too mention David Sims was a running back for them back then too. Now he's M's color play by play announcer. My first Seahawk player card was Ron Howard, TE. I bleed blue and green. Always have and always will.

rideaducati

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":nwmb915f said:
58, yeah...so what.

Tell me about Curt's 1st carry as a pro.

60 yards of beauty. Forecast of great things to come. Too bad it came in a loss.

rideaducati

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":1kznawog said:
58, yeah...so what.

Tell me about Curt's 1st carry as a pro.

60 yards of beauty. Forecast of great things to come. Too bad it came in a loss.

OP
OP
seahawk 17

seahawk 17

Reaction score
Johnny":1v6x1zl3 said:
seahawk 17":1v6x1zl3 said:
I missed my first daughters birth for the 2000 game against Miami.

This should never happen.

I know that Seahawks football is a great part of life, but this is your family and you can never get those moments back... If I were you, I wouldn't be proud of this and stating it as a symbol of your fan-hood for the Seahawks.

Last game in the Kingdome and my only chance to see Dan Marino play in person. I made it back right after the game.

My wife supported the decision and my daughter thinks it's a great story.

If they don't care why should you?

chris98251

Reaction score
David Sims and Sherman Smith were our first Beasmode guys, more David Sims until his neck injury. Then later what could have been a franchise QB drafted in the second round from New Mexico Steve Myer who also had a neck injury that brought Dave Kreig to the forefront.

But been here since day one, watched all the Patera creative ways to win with fake feild goals with Efren to some stuff just where did that come from, Zorn got his own little tribute, The Mark of Zorn, the Yellow VW he and Largent used to commute in, so many memorys.

Oh 54 yrs here.

Latest posts