Seahawks which failed your expectations?

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Jeremy Stevens. He was fast , could get open just dropped the ball a lot and at the worst times. We all know about his off field issues as well

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
sadhappy":1kifu9j7 said:
SalishHawkFan":1kifu9j7 said:
As far as players go, Justin Forsett. I really thought that guy could be a great one, but he was only good.

This is what makes the premise of the thread such a good one, as we're talking about individual perceptions.

I see Forsett as a classic underdog success story. 7th round pick/camp fodder on the fringes, cut, bounced around a bit, worked his way on to a 53 man roster, and has been in the league for 5 years and counting, well past the average career length for an NFL tailback. To me he's a hero, a class act who demonstrates how to make the most of the cards you've been dealt.

Word. And man if he isn't just PERFECT for the Texans run game. But, ya know, those guys ahead of him aren't too shabby.

Forsett with those late 90's Bronco's teams would've gained 1,600 yards a few seasons. No doubt in my mind.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Poor Owen, I always liked that guy. But it looks like he washed out from his 3rd team in 5 years.

owen-schmitt1.jpg

CHawk

Reaction score
One for me is Jon Kitna, I followed him when the hawks signed him and went to the euro league. Big underdog story, he did Ok but I was pulling for him to be great.

rastahawk

Reaction score
I'll just limit myself to the last 10 years.

1. John Carlson - I thought he'd be our pro-bowl TE for years to come. He turned out to be a one hit wonder. Fortunately Zack Miller made us forget him really fast.
2. Aaron Curry - Was a high draft pick and even touted by many as a safe pick. He was supposed to be a long term answer. He sucked! Low IQ and horrible instincts.
3. Owen Schmidt - I was hoping he'd be our next Mack Strong. Had all the mannerisms of a tough FB type but never materialized into the player we were hoping.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm the opposite on Carlson. I thought he made hay ONLY when all other options we're injured AND being with a QB in Seneca taught to always checkdown.

I never dug his game.

Happy

Reaction score
I whiffed on Carlson.

I thought he was gonna be a top tier TE but I'm watching him in his 3rd year making dumb mental mistakes (john, if the DB is on your outside shoulder and trailing slightly, turn towards your inside shoulder to locate the f%^*ng ball!) and I'm wondering what the problem is. I stuck up for him when people were starting to raise questions in year 2 and I was simply wrong.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Sadhappy, will you just save bandwidth and tell us when you're right?

NinerBuff

Reaction score
Aaron Curry...

I was pissed when you guys picked him... I was really hoping you'd pick Sanchez. I thought he was going to be a great OLB...

whifff

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Solomon Bates. I honestly believed he was our answer at MLB back when it was a real problem for us.

Happy

Reaction score
pehawk":24awgbz2 said:

So you're saying you'd prefer I not post at all? Man that really hurts my feelings.

People love to be the first to call someone a bust and it gets tiresome hearing how every damn player is a bust in year 2 if they aren't a top player at their position already. I'd rather err on the side of giving a player time to sort their game out anyhow.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
sadhappy":2vrka1fx said:
pehawk":2vrka1fx said:

So you're saying you'd prefer I not post at all? Man that really hurts my feelings.

People love to be the first to call someone a bust and it gets tiresome hearing how every damn player is a bust in year 2 if they aren't a top player at their position already. I'd rather err on the side of giving a player time to sort their game out anyhow.

We've been lucky lately but it often takes 2 or 3 or 4 seasons for somebody to realize their potential. Can't stand when people give up hope so easily. Let them kids play man!!

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
sadhappy":2wykc28f said:
pehawk":2wykc28f said:
If only Jennings was male. Flawless technique, no wasted motion, always in a position to defend the pass have a ringside seat to watch the completion.

The last preseason he was on the team....I don't remember the opponent but they were picking on him and completing pass after pass. It was painful to watch. He was traded shortly after that for a bag of peanuts and a bud tall boy.

We got rid of Jennings during The Great Pete Carroll Purge of 2010. One of Carroll and Schneider's underrated moves was dumping as many subpar players as possible during the uncapped year.

I could never figure out why Jennings was so bad. He had great cover skills--he was always in the receiver's hip pocket--but he had the worst ball skills of any DB I have ever seen. He would be right there every time and never managed to get a hand or two on the football, let alone intercept one.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
No, Jennings started for a year under Carroll. His bad play was magnified by a young FS.

I'm with ya sadhappy, I hate the bust talk. I'm a Carp supporter, and hopefully I don't look more stupid.

Riley12

Reaction score
rightbench":yvyykfq5 said:
Sean Alexander 2006 version

Yup

I remember how much I defended him vs. my father and other people who said that he wouldn't remain the 2005 version
after a big payday. I cannot overstate how wrong I was. Some of it had to do with the line and losing Hass in the Vikings game, but when he would display his patented "fall in front of an opposing player" move, I would take more and more shots from the "I told you so" crowd.

To ripoff some very funny fellows: 2005 Shaun was tight butthole and 2006 Shaun was loose butthole.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
CHawk":csb45m10 said:
One for me is Jon Kitna, I followed him when the hawks signed him and went to the euro league. Big underdog story, he did Ok but I was pulling for him to be great.

Kitna actually exceeded my expectations. An undrafted QB that went to Europe then ended up playing 14/15 seasons in the NFL? That's a great career IMO. Now he's back at his old HS (Lincoln HS ...c/o 2004) coaching the team and teaching kids.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
-The Glove-":17jhu6z6 said:
CHawk":17jhu6z6 said:

Kitna actually exceeded my expectations. An undrafted QB that went to Europe then ended up playing 14/15 seasons in the NFL? That's a great career IMO. Now he's back at his old HS (Lincoln HS ...c/o 2004) coaching the team and teaching kids.

Yup.

Erickson was VERY underrated from a personnel perspective. Tough breaks and circumstances doomed him, but once he got player control he did some good things.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
pehawk":2sdygiw0 said:
If only Jennings was male. Flawless technique, no wasted motion, always in a position to defend the YAC.
I think that's about right