Seahawks which failed your expectations?

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Tracy White- I remember every training camp players saying he was going to be an awesome LB.

Norman Hand - Super stoked that we got him from the saints I don't remember if he ever played a down.

Steve Broussard- I thought he was going to be a stud, he was an average back.

Daryl Tapp- Always almost there for the sack.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
G'damn...forgot about the Hand era.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
sadhappy":b01abmc9 said:
I whiffed on Carlson.

I thought he was gonna be a top tier TE but I'm watching him in his 3rd year making dumb mental mistakes (john, if the DB is on your outside shoulder and trailing slightly, turn towards your inside shoulder to locate the f%^*ng ball!) and I'm wondering what the problem is. I stuck up for him when people were starting to raise questions in year 2 and I was simply wrong.
I know we always pick on scouting reports when they are wrong, but scouts had Carlson pegged. The reports he was NFL ready, but had already reached his ceiling were right on.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
storm74":2c3mr4ee said:
Tracy White- I remember every training camp players saying he was going to be an awesome LB.

Norman Hand - Super stoked that we got him from the saints I don't remember if he ever played a down.

Steve Broussard- I thought he was going to be a stud, he was an average back.

Daryl Tapp- Always almost there for the sack.
Nice call on Tapp. Led the league in almost. And precipitated the great John Morgan meltdown that lasted for months at the beginning of the Pete Carroll era.

Happy

Reaction score
pehawk":3btz848b said:
I'm with ya sadhappy, I hate the bust talk. I'm a Carp supporter, and hopefully I don't look more stupid.

I'm still pulling for carp but the signs aren't good at this point. Dude needs to go gluten free or something, idk.

Atradees

Reaction score
I also thought Big Die Slow and Andrews would work out.

The Big Show and his 100 million to get to one show and throw a tantrum.

Springs, Simmons, Carlson, Koren, Stevens and Mora..

Everybody Loved Ruskell Initially.....

kearly

Reaction score
I've whiffed on a few players here and there, but I've yet to LOVE a prospect drafted by Seattle and not have that player manage those high expectations.

I guess the closest might be James Carpenter, though I think he might still become a plus contributor, maybe even a pro-bowler at guard. The reason I say Carpenter is because he did well under the microscope when I scouted his Alabama games. He didn't ooze athleticism, but he looked athletic enough to handle LT in the NFL, even if he didn't have much athleticism to spare. When he went to RT, it seemed like a virtual certainty that he could handle the position. Then he took the field in the NFL, and was an immediate disaster. He probably would have led the league in sacks allowed had he played 16 games at tackle that season.

I happen to be a former high school / college level offensive lineman who, like Carpenter, is left handed. I would agree with him that playing on the left side is slightly more natural. But his attempt to blame his struggles on handedness is pretty silly- it was abundantly obvious that his real problem was a lack of athleticism, weight control, and conditioning. When Seattle drafted Carpenter, they probably hoped they'd be getting a Rodger Saffold. Instead, they got a Stacy Andrews. Ouch.

I'd also say that Bruce Irvin has been a very, very, very mild disappointment. He was a prospect I loved, and though he met my 2012 expectations exactly, I gave what I think was a low bar to clear. I know more about Irvin now than I did when I raved about him during the spring of 2012, and none of that new knowledge is complimentary to Irvin's future. That said, I think 2013 is a huge season for Irvin, and he might emerge as a dynamic contributor under Dan Quinn's guidance. He might not end up being exactly the kind of player that I thought he'd be a year ago, but he could still help the team in a way I had not envisioned. And I think he probably will.

godawg

Reaction score
Rick Mirer, Grant Wistrom, The Boz, Anthony Simmons, Ken Lucas, Lamar King, Lawrence Jackson, Koren Robinson, Jerramy Stevens.

seabowl

Reaction score
Marcus Tubbs, Mike Williams. Btw Norman Hand did play for us because I was at his first game against the team that let him go, the Saints. As the first half ended he went near the Saints sideline and was barking at them as they went to the locker room.

NYCoug

Reaction score
For me, it's gotta be K-Rob. Thought he was going to be a beast when the Hawks drafted him and after his breakout season as a 2nd year, 22 year old WR I was sure that he was destined for stardom. Then real life got in the way and it just wasn't meant to be. He's definitely my ultimate disappointment though.

Anthony Simmons is also on the short list for me, as is David Greene, Mike Teel, and every other quarterback that "QB Guru" Mike Holmgren drafted as a potential heir to the throne of Matthew Hasselbeck. Sorta kidding about that laughable list of QB's. Sort of.

Edit: I gotta add Jerramy Stevens to my shortlist as well. I thought he was going to be one of the most unique Tight Ends in the league and that his height would create problems for every defensive coordinator in the league. I put my Husky hate aside for a minute and embraced the idea of J-Ram (that was my nickname for him, I know, stupid on many levels) as the best TE in Seahawks history. Safe to say, I learned my lesson. Now I don't have to hide my hate for Jermaine Kearse. What's with all the Husky WR's and TE's who end up on the Hawks lately having stone hands. And yeah, I'm counting Reggie Williams for his appearance as a camp body in 2010 :mrgreen:

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm inclined to agree with you on Irvin, kearly. I'm not ripping him as a player, but I just dont see him being an every-down, hand on the ground type. I have to think Irvin's true position and future is hybrid OLB/Mathews type.

Carp was NEVER drafted to play tackle. The Seahawks we're the only team to really work him out at guard. But, the regime but him at tackle just to get the best talent on the field. Just as it is with Carp, I think Pete and John have always wanted Irvin in that "spin-rusher" role; but he was just to talented to keep off the field last year, even if out of position.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
What no Franco Harris votes? Ricky Watters? More recently KRob, Kelly Jennings for me.

But as a side note. I have been down on Carp, Irvin and Breno in the not so distant past. And I honestly hope that was just my lofty expectations getting in the way! Because I suspect we are going to need them all shortly!

NYCoug

Reaction score
pehawk":1lk72n5l said:
I'm inclined to agree with you on Irvin, kearly. I'm not ripping him as a player, but I just dont see him being an every-down, hand on the ground type. I have to think Irvin's true position and future is hybrid OLB/Mathews type.

Carp was NEVER drafted to play tackle. The Seahawks we're the only team to really work him out at guard. But, the regime but him at tackle just to get the best talent on the field. Just as it is with Carp, I think Pete and John have always wanted Irvin in that "spin-rusher" role; but he was just to talented to keep off the field last year, even if out of position.

If Irvin never pans out as a LEO and ends up as our version of Clay Matthews he's still a massive success. Same goes for Carp if he becomes a monster at LG. Sure, it might not be what we "expected" when they were drafted as a LEO and an Offensive Tackle but at the end of the day if they have successful careers in College Navy and Wolf Grey then who cares? Especially if Okung and Breno/Bowie hold it down at the Tackle spots and Clem/Avril hold it down at LEO, it's actually better off that Irvin/Carp found success (hypothetically of course, this is all projection anyway since they are still young enough to blow up) at positions different from where they were expected to. I'm just trying to be like Pete by looking at what players can do for the team, and not what they can't.

seabowl

Reaction score
One more I forgot:

Lofa Tatupu

Started off great but I think his size was his downfall.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
seabowl":363pk23a said:
One more I forgot:

Lofa Tatupu

Started off great but I think his size was his downfall.
UM no, the problem was he played so intensely that he blew out his knees at a young age.

Happy

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":39g4as7b said:
Lofa gave 110 percent, every single play. One of the all time great Hawks imo.

Seconded. The man sacrificed his body for football, I don't know how you can ask for more than that from a player.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
It also wasn't Lofa's fault Ruskell failed to build any real depth, DL heavies, to compensate for Lofa's limited frame. Lofa is/was a GREAT player...but he cant be great without a good interior DL, period. Hell, Ray Lewis was only as good as his Nose Tackle, and Ray's the best MLB ever in my book.

NYCoug

Reaction score
pe, I love that you hold out hope for a Lofa return with the "is/was" bit. Once I saw seabowl's ill-advised post, I immediately a) knew that the jackals would come out to pick apart his carcass in a matter of minutes, b) thought of how tough it must be to be seabowl's first born son, and c) googled Lofa's name to see if he was trying out somewhere around the league.

Don't lose hope though. His wikipedia page says he's still a Free Agent. Apparently he hasn't officially called it quits yet and if he hasn't, then who I am to? Lofa for Seahawks LB Coach in '14 once Norton leaves to be a DC or Head Coach (Singletary style) somewhere after winning a ring with the Hawks.