Seahawks vs Broncos was highest-rated 2014 NFL game to date

pmedic920

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":l62bzvg2 said:
WilsonMVP":l62bzvg2 said:
onanygivensunday":l62bzvg2 said:
For watching the NFL, I love living on the west coast.

Used to live in the Central Time Zone... but now the Pacific... for the past 33 years.

I agree...West Coast is awesome...just sleep in til 9 or so and wake up and get ready to watch the games.

If 9 am is sleeping in you're doing it wrong.

I get up at 3:30 AM to be in Houston by 5:45.
9:00 is sleeping in, in my world. :{)

NorCalHawk12

Reaction score
I don't wake up or sleep at any given time so I win the thread...
**retired** Oh, wait, it's about ratings...never mind...

BlueBlood

Reaction score
If I have a business trip back east during the football season i rather enjoy experiencing the games at the different times. I could see it getting really old quickly though.

gulliver

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":3o9z1x6k said:
Probably because it wasn't an evening game. You west coasters have no idea what a pain it is to stay up to watch an evening game on EST. When you have to be to work in the morning it really does blow. I don't work anymore but when I used to I always came in to work the next morning tired and groggy from being up too late. I never got enough sleep on Sunday, Monday and Thursday evenings. Monday, Tuesday and Friday at work were always somewhat less productive for me because of it. So, those of you who cry about East Coast Bias can suck it! :sarcasm_on:
Agreed. I'm a WSU grad and, because I'm on the eastcoast and because WSU has sucked for so long, it gets the late spots--which often start as late as 10:30 or 11 PM ET. As you can imagine, these are often going until 2 AM.

Ridiculous.

Threedee

Reaction score
Speaking of eastern time, is there ever going to be a day when a west coast team hosts another west coast team (like WA and Stanford this weekend) and the game isn't advertised on ESPN in eastern time?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Threedee":2amozklh said:
Speaking of eastern time, is there ever going to be a day when a west coast team hosts another west coast team (like WA and Stanford this weekend) and the game isn't advertised on ESPN in eastern time?

National networks almost always use Eastern time. By doing so, they create a system in which you can always know what time zone they are talking about and people can adjust to their own time zone accordingly. If a station like ESPN were to advertise games all in the local time zone the game is played in, more people would be confused than are confused the way it is.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
bigskydoc":443s9giu said:
RolandDeschain":443s9giu said:
Yeah, because staying up to finish watching an NFL game at around 11:45pm is rough, lol. What, do you have to wake up at 4:30am or something?

Some of us do. That's what TiVo is for.

-bsd
Psh. Just get less sleep, and chug a bunch of coffee and pop some caffeine pills the next morning. That's what I do (well, Mountain Dew instead of coffee) when I see a midnight release of a film on a Thursday night with friends and have to wake up for work the next morning after getting home at 3am or later.

We sacrifice for worthy things!! :)

RiverDog

Reaction score
kidhawk":2ovbt0gr said:
Threedee":2ovbt0gr said:

National networks almost always use Eastern time. By doing so, they create a system in which you can always know what time zone they are talking about and people can adjust to their own time zone accordingly. If a station like ESPN were to advertise games all in the local time zone the game is played in, more people would be confused than are confused the way it is.

Yep. It's been going on for decades, ever since nation wide radio broadcasts became common nearly 100 years ago. It's like Greenwich Mean Time, or Zulu, to the airline industry. Everyone has to be speaking a common language, and since nation wide broadcasting originated on the east coast in New York and Washington, DC, and that the vast majority of the nation's population was in the ETZ, that's the time everyone started using to reference their programming.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":21yyxyf1 said:
Psh. Just get less sleep, and chug a bunch of coffee and pop some caffeine pills the next morning. That's what I do (well, Mountain Dew instead of coffee) when I see a midnight release of a film on a Thursday night with friends and have to wake up for work the next morning after getting home at 3am or later.

We sacrifice for worthy things!! :)

Mrs. Smith, I am sorry your husband died because I fell asleep during his surgery and the nurses had to wake me up to resuscitate him. The Hawks were on last night you see.

I am sure that he understands and his sacrifice was worth it though.

What's that? He was a Niners fan?

Oh $#!^.

:mrgreen:

- bsd

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Threedee":3vrvc3t7 said:

Google does this automatically if you use their schedule.

taco40

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2sarv6xf said:
Probably because it wasn't an evening game. You west coasters have no idea what a pain it is to stay up to watch an evening game on EST. When you have to be to work in the morning it really does blow. I don't work anymore but when I used to I always came in to work the next morning tired and groggy from being up too late. I never got enough sleep on Sunday, Monday and Thursday evenings. Monday, Tuesday and Friday at work were always somewhat less productive for me because of it. So, those of you who cry about East Coast Bias can suck it! :sarcasm_on:

I DO know what a pain it is to stay up that late as I used to live in the Midwest. Now I love watching games that begin at 7:30 or so on the east coast. Can watch them and still do stuff after the game cuz it's done by 7:30 or 8:00 here.

It's for your stated reason (pain to stay up that late) that I get extremely irritated at the PAC-12 conference for starting marquee games at 7:30 PDT. Last week's Duck game, therefore, started the second half at 12:40 pm. EDT. Who's going to stay up and watch the PAC-12 on the east coast?

The downfall of poorly planned game start times hits us on Sundays when west coast teams have to play at 10 AM. How ridiculous to not have a Sunday afternoon game, especially now that many of the west coast teams are pretty good. They would make a good "national" broadcast as a later game in the east played after the east coast teams' normal time at 1:00 EDT. TV would get more folks watching and more commercial income.