Peter King MMQB: "The NFL Needed This Game" - Russell Wilson

byau

Reaction score
Fantastic read:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/22/russell-w ... fl-week-3/

I listen to a lot of sports radio and it has been overwhelmingly dedicated to the off-the-field issues. Wilson (and Peter King) make a good point in this article about this being a fantastic NFL game.

Here's the first bit:

"The adrenaline was still flowing for Russell Wilson an hour after a game that was supposed to be high drama, and actually was.

“The NFL needed this game,” Wilson said.

After another week of off-field hell for the NFL, Wilson won’t get any argument from the 12’s in Seattle, the folks from California to Maine watching the CBS doubleheader game that bled deep into 60 Minutes time, the worried NFL suits on Park Avenue, and the advertisers who wanted the great old quarterback (Peyton Manning) and the great new one (Wilson) dueling into overtime in the din of CenturyLink Field. Games like this one are why people won’t throw the NFL out with the trash because of the Ray Rice scandal. And people like Wilson, who has perfected the art of saying the right thing and doing the right things in the community, need to be front-and-center if the public is going to retain confidence in the NFL, a confidence that’s been shaken so badly this month.

The NFL is on fire. The first Super Bowl rematch in 17 years couldn’t put it out, of course. But it could remind people who love football but are pissed off at it why they loved it in the first place. Wilson and Manning and the Broncos and the Seahawks did their best in three hours and 33 minutes to put some salve on the sport."

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
No, the NFL needs to fire Goodell and whoever else was involved in the cover up, punish the Ravens for their part in the scandal, and stem the tide of domestic violence.

And SI needs to find someone who isn't a toadie for the NFL - someone with journalistic integrity.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1r4usnwb said:
No, the NFL needs to fire Goodell and whoever else was involved in the cover up, punish the Ravens for their part in the scandal, and stem the tide of domestic violence.

And SI needs to find someone who isn't a toadie for the NFL - someone with journalistic integrity.
Yep, that is the key word right there * INTEGRITY * Goodell wasn't misinformed, he was mistruthin' on the whole Ray Rice matter, and I suspect that there's a whole lot more about other players and their shit doings, that he's trying to keep in the dark.
As for Russell Wilson?, he is chock full of integrity, and class. 8)

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
ROOHHHHHHHH PEYTON, whining after big losses as ALWAYS....
The coin flip was big. “They changed the rules a little bit,” Manning told the press in Seattle, “but it doesn’t really change if you go down and get a touchdown. It puts a premium on the coin toss. I called tails at the beginning of the game, went with it again in overtime, it was heads, and it proved to be a significant call. That’s the way it is, and you like to not leave it to that, not that situation. We had a chance on the second to last series of the game. But bad throw by me.”

Maybe I'm out of it, but how exactly were the rules changed a bit that would make it more difficult for the team that lost the coin toss in OT?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":30y0um9v said:
The coin flip was big. “They changed the rules a little bit,” Manning told the press in Seattle, “but it doesn’t really change if you go down and get a touchdown. It puts a premium on the coin toss. I called tails at the beginning of the game, went with it again in overtime, it was heads, and it proved to be a significant call. That’s the way it is, and you like to not leave it to that, not that situation. We had a chance on the second to last series of the game. But bad throw by me.”

Maybe I'm out of it, but how exactly were the rules changed a bit that would make it more difficult for the team that lost the coin toss in OT?
Yes Peyton they did change the rules a bit...to benefit you once again in making it a TD to win instead of a FG

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":virtb2hg said:

I was about to say go back to the Webzone, 49er fan; then I saw that you were a long-time Seahawks fan poster here. :|

Dismas

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":2ypzl0vz said:

Not changed to make it more difficult, changed to give both teams a chance.

Used to be any score ended the game.

Now, a FG by the team with first possession ( ON the first possession ) does not end the game . . other team gets one drive to try to do better.

But, if the team with first possession gets a TD on that first drive, it is still game over.

Donko D needed to hold us to a FG, then Manning would have got his shot.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2xtkus5z said:

This.

Yes, its great we have good guys like Russell as role models but it does nothing for the fact that Goodell tried to sweep a bad guys actions under the rug. A good guys face as the image model should not be a cover up for all the crap underneath.

Actions are needed, not different media strategies.

-

Otherwise a very good read, Thanks for posting the link!

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3i30ggud said:
Sarlacc83":3i30ggud said:

I was about to say go back to the Webzone, 49er fan; then I saw that you were a long-time Seahawks fan poster here. :|

Wilson's comments cut right to the heart of the matter; they are what the NFL is hoping for. 'The games are great! That means everything is OK!' It's a diversion from the issues being confronted, not a solution. At best, great games remind us of the small good against the alarming bad; they are a mere bandaid while the league hemorrhages.

Which is apparently obvious to everyone but you.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":jd7xztnk said:

Slow clap. I read an article late last week (that I can no longer find) that catalogued the many, many lies the NFL's front office has trickled to the media since February. It wasn't a short list. I understand it's Goodell's job to manage public relations, but the degree to which he's comfortable scrubbing the truth for the sake of avoiding headlines horrifies me.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
A good defense can either keep the game tied, score on a takeaway, or get the ball back for the Offense. In other words a good defense has the advantage in OT. PC has built that; Den is still trying.

The advantage isn't to the coin-flip winner, but to the team built to take advantage of the rules.

Advantage Hawks.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2aq71mpp said:
Wilson's comments cut right to the heart of the matter; they are what the NFL is hoping for. 'The games are great! That means everything is OK!' It's a diversion from the issues being confronted, not a solution. At best, great games remind us of the small good against the alarming bad; they are a mere bandaid while the league hemorrhages.

Of course comments like that are what the NFL is hoping for. It astounds me that you believe I didn't realize that. Thanks for explaining it anyway, I suppose.

ben-roethlisberger.jpg

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3q1qnd5m said:
Sarlacc83":3q1qnd5m said:

Of course comments like that are what the NFL is hoping for. It astounds me that you believe I didn't realize that. Thanks for explaining it anyway, I suppose.

ben-roethlisberger.jpg

Ah yes, the "I was just trolling" defense. Ask me if I believe you.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2sr2u8ve said:
Ah yes, the "I was just trolling" defense. Ask me if I believe you.
I'm still trying to figure out how anything I said in this thread came within 50 miles of making you think I didn't understand. You clearly didn't get the point I was making in my initial reply. If you want to discuss it further, PM me. Otherwise, let's not dirty the main forum thread.