Seahawks virtually assured of #1 Seed Now ...

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Canhawks":26j6gplm said:
I'm just curious,how does SF win the tie-break if they win out and we lose out?
the 49ers would have a better divisional record. the 49ers would be 5-1 within the division, and the Hawks would be 3-3

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2krqw8zf said:
SoHo9erFan":2krqw8zf said:
here's a weird thought. the Hawks could really mess with the 49ers playoff shot if they lost to the Cards next week. since the seahawks have virtually sealed the #1 seed, what if PC and the Hawks purposefully lose to the Cards by sitting all the starters...

electing to sit the starters week 16 and playing them week 17 also prevents the rustiness factor that plagues teams with 1st round bye
Pete doesn't rest starters.
yeah, again, i don't see any negatives to resting them week 16. you guys would still have a game week 17 to get back into the flow and what not

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Canhawks":qr7q94s4 said:
We'd lose the division because we'd be 3-3 in division and they'd be better than that. The teams would have the same overall record and first tie breaker to decide division winner is head to head (tied at one each) and second is division record.That would make the Hawks a 5 seed. No thanks. WIN NEXT WEEK HAWKS!!!

BlueThunder

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":zekhrp6r said:
technically that's not true. if saints won out and the hawks lose their next two, the saints would have the one seed.

This is incorrect. We own the tie-breaker. If we lost 2 and they won 2, we would be tied at 12-4 with us owning the head to head tie-breaker. Do your research.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":dha0m7ca said:
Scottemojo":dha0m7ca said:
SoHo9erFan":dha0m7ca said:
here's a weird thought. the Hawks could really mess with the 49ers playoff shot if they lost to the Cards next week. since the seahawks have virtually sealed the #1 seed, what if PC and the Hawks purposefully lose to the Cards by sitting all the starters...

electing to sit the starters week 16 and playing them week 17 also prevents the rustiness factor that plagues teams with 1st round bye
yeah, again, i don't see any negatives to resting them week 16. you guys would still have a game week 17 to get back into the flow and what not
Negatives? Pete's Always Compete mantra would be hollow. He has said so, last year when our final game vs the Rams had no meaning.

Canhawks

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":3mq3mlit said:
Canhawks":3mq3mlit said:
the 49ers would have a better divisional record. the 49ers would be 5-1 within the division, and the Hawks would be 3-3
Ok,for whatever reason I thought it came down to common opponents,but that explains it.Aint gonna happen anyway :D

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
BlueThunder":gk50ia1z said:
SoHo9erFan":gk50ia1z said:
technically that's not true. if saints won out and the hawks lose their next two, the saints would have the one seed.

This is incorrect. We own the tie-breaker. If we lost 2 and they won 2, we would be tied at 12-4 with us owning the head to head tie-breaker. Do your research.
yeah, but we were talking about the game today. if the saints won, they would still have 3 losses. and if they won out, they'd still have 3 losses while the seahawks would have 4

SeahawksMSHing

Reaction score
Division Record we would be 3-3 if lost next two and 49ers would be 5-1 hence we have not clinched division yet... just beat Az and clinch everything...

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Scottemojo":13bsca60 said:
SoHo9erFan":13bsca60 said:
Scottemojo":13bsca60 said:
SoHo9erFan":13bsca60 said:

Negatives? Pete's Always Compete mantra would be hollow. He has said so, last year when our final game vs the Rams had no meaning.
again, that was the final game. but, yes, the compete mantra would lose its mystic i guess

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
kidhawk":3klj70vf said:
Hawkscanner":3klj70vf said:
I don't know how many of you have connected the dots ... but by virtue of the Saints losing today ... they have officially been eliminated from the #1 Seed. The very best they can get to is 12-4 ... and of course Seattle holds the tiebreaker, which means Seattle would win the #1 Seed if for some reason they lose the final 2 home games.

The same thing is true with Carolina -- Seattle also owns the tiebreaker there as well.

The ONLY NFC team that could possibly pose a threat to the #1 Seed ... is San Francisco. Next Seahawks win OR San Francisco Loss and the #1 Seed and HFA throughout the playoffs is Seattle's. Simple as that. Just FYI for those who haven't realized that yet. :mrgreen:

The saints game today means absolutely nothing. As soon as we won today we only needed one more win to clinch hfa. After the saints loss that won't change. We still need one more win to clinch both our division and hfa

Sorry, but if the Seahawks had lost both of our last 2 games ... and the Saints had won out, they would have had the #1 Seed at 13-3. We would have finished 12-4.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3sa64ur1 said:
kidhawk":3sa64ur1 said:
Hawkscanner":3sa64ur1 said:
I don't know how many of you have connected the dots ... but by virtue of the Saints losing today ... they have officially been eliminated from the #1 Seed. The very best they can get to is 12-4 ... and of course Seattle holds the tiebreaker, which means Seattle would win the #1 Seed if for some reason they lose the final 2 home games.

The same thing is true with Carolina -- Seattle also owns the tiebreaker there as well.

The ONLY NFC team that could possibly pose a threat to the #1 Seed ... is San Francisco. Next Seahawks win OR San Francisco Loss and the #1 Seed and HFA throughout the playoffs is Seattle's. Simple as that. Just FYI for those who haven't realized that yet. :mrgreen:

The saints game today means absolutely nothing. As soon as we won today we only needed one more win to clinch hfa. After the saints loss that won't change. We still need one more win to clinch both our division and hfa

Sorry, but if the Seahawks had lost both of our last 2 games ... and the Saints had won out, they would have had the #1 Seed at 13-3. We would have finished 12-4.
exactly.. don't know what blue thunder is talking about

Polaris

Reaction score
The Saints have NOT been eliminated from the #1 seed. However, by vitue of the Saints losing today and Seattle winning (and by Philly losing), Seattle has been eliminated from the 2,3,4, and 6 seeds. Seattle is assured of a playoff berth, but it can only be the #1 or #5 seed.

The only way the Saints get the #1 seed is for them to win out, Seattle to lose out and for San Fran to win out. San Fran gets the divisional record, and New Orleans would get the #1 seed vs San Fran by virtue of head to head.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":u5nbwiaq said:
Our starters play regularly on special friggin' teams, we'll get at least a half out of them in Week Seventeen and they will go balls out next week, too.
yeah, i guess i was thinking of a dumb hypothetical..

starters playing on STs happens on a lot of teams btw

Polaris

Reaction score
BlueThunder":1rzvomdy said:
SoHo9erFan":1rzvomdy said:

That isn't completely incorrect. SoHo8nerFan forgot to add that San Fran would also have to win out. Then and only then would the Saints get the #1 seed.

The Saints game is very meaingful because it means that Seattle is locked into either the #1 or #5 seed. All other seeds for Seattle are eliminated.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":z1fy0gpc said:
Hawkscanner":z1fy0gpc said:
kidhawk":z1fy0gpc said:
Hawkscanner":z1fy0gpc said:

exactly.. don't know what blue thunder is talking about

I didn't know you were talking about had the Saints won and we lost today. I thought you were talking about after the results of todays games. Guess I should have paid more attention to the previous posts... I figured it was all moot since the games are already over.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Polaris":svomx9rj said:
BlueThunder":svomx9rj said:
SoHo9erFan":svomx9rj said:

That isn't completely incorrect. SoHo8nerFan forgot to add that San Fran would also have to win out. Then and only then would the Saints get the #1 seed.

The Saints game is very meaingful because it means that Seattle is locked into either the #1 or #5 seed. All other seeds for Seattle are eliminated.
polaris, we were talking about the saints game today and how it was "meaningless" according to a poster.

if the saints won today, and then won out, they would be the #1 (if the hawks lost their remaining games, which is practically impossible)...

anyways, this whole discussion is kinda pointless considering the Seahawks will at least win 1 of their remaining games

kidhawk

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":zxbrz3h2 said:
kidhawk":zxbrz3h2 said:

but the likelihood of that scenario playing out was slim to none

Re-read what I've said. After our win...once we won we had 12 wins.... I also said we need one more win to clinch. Win or lose the saints don't change that. Even if they won the could only get to 13. With 1 more win we will be at13 and hold the tie breaker.

JGreen79

Reaction score
BlueThunder":3ij6a9ga said:
SoHo9erFan":3ij6a9ga said:

Now if said scenario happend and SF wins out as well then NO gets the 1 seed SF the 2 and SEA the 5. Same thing goes if it's CAR instead of NO at 12-4 with SF and SEA.

Polaris

Reaction score
My point then for what it's worth is that the Saints game wasn't meaningless to us, but one more win by Seattle would render it so. Had San Fran lost, Seattle would have clinched the enchilda today. Oh well.

In fact Seattle's position depends extremely little on the rest of the league now. If Seattle wins or ties *OR* San Fran loses or ties, Seattle clinches HFA. The only way Seattle doesn't clinch HFA is for Seattle to lose out AND San Fran to win out. I think that combination is rather unlikely.