Seahawks to Sign K Ryan Longwell

lukerguy

Reaction score
Pro Football Weekly ‏@ProFootballWkly
Per @Edwerderespn, Ryan Longwell won a kicker tryout in Seattle and will sign with the #Seahawks. He has not kicked this year.
Retweeted by Danny Kelly
Expand

kidhawk

Reaction score
Interesting. Still hoping that Haushcka can heal and be ready to go, but we definitely need someone besides Ryan around, to be safe. Playoff games can be so close, that not being able to kick a FG or even an extra point could be the difference between moving on or going home.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Longwell is a great kicker, although his leg strength is significantly down compared to what it used to be. He won't be kicking any touchbacks or 50+ yarders.

But he's money on anything inside 40 yards. A solid, veteran guy who can be relied upon in a clutch situation.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Indeed. A decent kicker is vital in the playoffs.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
kidhawk":3jleuodq said:
Interesting. Still hoping that Haushcka can heal and be ready to go, but we definitely need someone besides Ryan around, to be safe. Playoff games can be so close, that not being able to kick a FG or even an extra point could be the difference between moving on or going home.

Yes hopefully Haush is ready to go

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I liked our squib kicks with Ryan last weekend, hopefully we go with that again

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Sounds good. If solid to 50 yards we are ok. Better him than a injured kicker

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I would have been happy with Longwell or Rackers. Rackers has a bigger foot, but I think Longwell is more accurate.

I do know one thing, please God don't let this game come down to a FG...........I'd hate for Longwell to get crucified for missing a big kick. Extra points only please!

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I like this over signing Rackers, but I still would prefer Steven so hopefully he can go Sunday.

OrFan

Reaction score
At least he is from the PNW. He went to high school in Bend here in central Oregon. Chances are good he is a Seahawk fan.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CHawks4L":1cpuw8n9 said:
So does Hauschka go to IR?

Don't think IR, this is probably a week to week thing. So for Sunday inactive, and if we win Carroll will reassess next week.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":p9bijl5n said:
I liked our squib kicks with Ryan last weekend, hopefully we go with that again

You know it's kinda funny that Ryan (or any punter) wouldn't be able to boot a decent kick-off or even short field goal/xtra point. I wouldn't expect Red Bryant to go in and kick one out of the endzone but you'd think a punter would at least get something in the air down close to the endzone. Unless of course squibing it was what they asked him to do.

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
Considering what was out there available on the street, I like this move.
He is much better than Rackers (who has missed some big kicks).

Ryan longwell was decent with Minnesota and good when he was a younger player in Green Bay.
He has kicked in some big games too.

He was also born in Seattle, WA - so hopefully he will care more about the Seahawks success than someone else who hasnt been on the team all season.

Also makes me feel better he beat out 3 other kickers to get the job.

mrblitz

Reaction score
in one of the late-season games (rams?) hauschka looked a bit gimpy after a kick.

i wonder if the thing at fed-ex was the 'aggravation of an earlier aggravation'.

anyway, does this mean that maybe we carry 2 kickers on the active roster sunday?