Seahawks team with Pearl Jam to fight homelessness

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheSeahawksWire/status/989301320636141569[/tweet]

The Seattle Seahawks’ Players Equality & Justice for All Action Fund has teamed up with Pearl Jam to fight homelessness with the hopes of raising $10 million to benefit the cause.

Wide receiver Doug Baldwin and defensive end Frank Clark — who experienced homelessness as a child — were on hand Tuesday to kick off the event.

“That’s really what the action fund is all about, supporting these organizations that are viewing these social issues at a humanistic level, realizing that the people we’re interacting with are human beings, and they want to be loved and taken care of,” Baldwin said via the team website. “That’s what we’re hoping to do now.”

Pearl Jam will be holding their first Seattle concerts in five years and have pledged to donate $1 million of the proceeds directly to fight homelessness.

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2018/ ... n-seattle/

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Most of these people have mental health issues. Building cheap housing projects or soup kitchens are not the answer. I really wish a politician would stand up with a direct plan and a goal. Throwing money at a problem and claiming how empathetic one is doesn't work.

If I am investing into to something I would expect results. If something is not working let's fix it or I'm out. Again throwing money at something and showing how caring one is does not constitute "caring". There are multiple steps to solving problems. If you care don't you want results? If not, take a hike.

RastaHawk12!

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":9gu0sik1 said:
Most of these people have mental health issues.

While I agree that mental health is an issue... I don't think the word "most" can be statistically supported. I could be wrong.

I have volunteered with the homeless in depth. Most recently, it has been with homeless kids. We find many reasons for youth homelessness... runaways, homeless parents , etc. Sometimes a teenager is homeless due to no fault of their own, and sometimes it's a byproduct of some really bad life choices. Of the teenage population, some have mental issues but most of the time the reasoning fell into another category altogether.

I do agree that real solutions need to be explored rather than just throwing money. At the same time, meeting short term needs like food, clothing, shelter, and a warm shower are sometimes all they want in a given day.

My 2 cents.