Seahawks signed QB Jerrod Johnson

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
chris98251":1h4iybgm said:
Looks fast would work well in the read option, throwing motion is all over, chest high, short arm relase and sort of side arm at times. If that can be converted to a more over the top with his accuracy intact from the highlights of the season on the bottom vid he could be a hidden gem.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/college ... r-nfl-shot

Says he reconstructed his throwing motion.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
RobBaker7714409":3oofbly9 said:
This guy sucks. Probably just covering our a$$es in case an UDFA they're looking at gets drafted or signs somewhere else this weekend. Bet you $1 he doesn't make it to the initial cutdown to 75.
Ugh, I really thought the day with these types of posts were over...

I love this move, no risk but the reward could be huge.

Rat

Reaction score
He completed 42% of his passes in the UFL last year. Seems likely that he'll push somebody off the roster, probably Wilson.

mikeak

Reaction score
You can't be a NFL qb if you were a backup in college

Sincerely,

Tom Brady

Seriously though I like it. Close enoug to the cut before, been working and commiting to making it. Will come in and work very hard and should be able to contribute just with a professional approach. I wouldn't mind someone pushing Quinn so he doesn't get comfortable as backup....

MysterMatt

Reaction score
It's just a highlight reel, but some of those passes are brilliant. I've no problem letting him come in and compete with Portis and Quinn and anyone else. Ultimately, I hope we become a backup QB farm, kind of like GB under Favre, so we can trade our backups away for good pics every year or two. If we can recycle Johnson, then grand!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":12tcbgxp said:
RobBaker7714409":12tcbgxp said:
This guy sucks. Probably just covering our a$$es in case an UDFA they're looking at gets drafted or signs somewhere else this weekend. Bet you $1 he doesn't make it to the initial cutdown to 75.
Ugh, I really thought the day with these types of posts were over...

I love this move, no risk but the reward could be huge.
I too was hoping that these type of posts were over and done with, but I guess that there are some that see themselves as a better talent evaluator than the Seahawks front office boys SMH.
Speaking frankly now, I'm hoping JJ has a re-awakening, and Wilson shows he and Quinn how to get back in their groove.
Johnson was an outstanding QB, that didn't get anywhere near the recognition or accolades he justly deserved.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Quotes from people who saw him throw to draft prospects at the A&M Pro Day this year:

Former Texas A&M QB Jerrod Johnson was throwing to wideouts and running backs during the pro day and the zip on his passes was noticeable. Johnson suffered a shoulder injury while in college that took awhile for him to recover from, but Johnson's arm strength and accuracy looked pretty solid to my eyes.

Quarterback Jerrod Johnson, whose eligibility wrapped up two years ago, threw passes to the receivers and showed considerable arm strength, especially in comparison to his last season at A&M, when he struggled with a shoulder injury. Toward the end of Pro Day Johnson was launching 70-yard bombs. The Steelers cut Johnson in training camp last summer.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
With further research on Jerrod Johnson, I would be very content if the Seahawks chose not to draft a QB,

It would also be an interesting to see the competition between Quinn, Portis, and Johnson.

Not very often does one get a chance to develop a young and cheap 6'5, 250 pound QB with 4.75 speed plus a 70 yard rocket launcher with a chip on his throwing shoulder the size of Texas from all the adversity he's faced through his hardships and doubters.

He's won me over, and I hope he's totally committed to battle his way onto the roster and do everything in his power to create something for himself out of this opportunity. He's the Anti-JaMarcus Russell.

It also shows again how Schneider refuses to leave no stone unturned to continue to make this team better whether its through competition or opportunity.

drdiags

Reaction score
This could also explain the signing

At 6-5 and 250 pounds, Johnson is a big quarterback with a strong arm who can move. He played under Mike Sherman at Texas A&M, now the offensive coordinator for Miami, so Johnson should be familiar with the West Coast offense.

And with Seattle scheduled to host a rookie minicamp May 10-12, Johnson gives the Seahawks an legitimate camp arm to run the team’s offense during the three-day camp.

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... rylink=cpy

Seafan

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing as drdiags. The Hawks had Wilson and a couple other rookies in for their rookie minicamp last year. Johnson will be one of those camp arms. They may draft a QB but they still need about three guys for the camp. Last year they only had one QB under contract for the camp (RW) with two invitees. It's possible the only way they could have secured his invitation to their camp was through a contract. There were probably other teams that would liked to have brought him in for their rookie camps as well.

CostaRicaHawk

Reaction score
Or it could be that he is already thanking the 12th man...He has that part down! Some of you way over think things (must be the off season) :snack: not!!!! :stirthepot:

You guys make me laugh! :lol:

Hope the season starts soon.

Like the Johnson as the new #2.

GO Hawks

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
People are getting way to over hyped about a guy who may or may not even make the team. Let alone making a big deal out of the 12th Man comment, when the guy played for Texas A&M.
This is the same front office that made over 200 transactions the first couple years here. They know what they are doing, PC is one hell of a coach and talent evaluator.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Rat":3vxxt1ul said:
He completed 42% of his passes in the UFL last year. Seems likely that he'll push somebody off the roster, probably Wilson.

LOL, good to see you are in mid-season form already, and it's early, can't wait until training camp starts.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Sure, this signing isn't a big one. It's not a huge splash free agent signing like some want, but it doesn't have to be. And Johnson doesn't even have to be good enough to compete for the starting job. We don't need him to be.

But it does give us a good group of quarterbacks going into the workups for the season, and indicates we may not have to think about drafting a quarterback this year, allowing us to spend those draft picks on other areas of concern. I really like this move - and the rest of the quarterback moves - for the simple reason of the flexibility it gives the team.

We have ten draft picks, and while most of them are low, that's still a pretty good number of them. And we don't have too many more areas of concern. This is exactly the situation teams want to be in going into the draft. Bringing in Johnson to complete a solid quarterback roster might just allow us the luxury of packaging a few of those lower picks and moving up to another second or third rounder, which I think would be an excellent move.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
You can never have too many Aggies! :th2thumbs: Gig 'Em!