Seahawks sign CJ Spiller

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
What is his contract status, week to week or signed for the whole year?

He left the Saints with a guaranteed $1.6M, supposedly he only gets beyond that if he earns it, the first part goes to the Saints?

Difficult to see why he has signed unless it was a commitment to him well above the $1.6, IF that is the situation.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":e3h4rkt3 said:
IndyHawk":e3h4rkt3 said:
#28 is not in the ring of honor??That's just wrong..
VERY wrong imo.

Warner is in the Ring of Honor, but #28 is not retired, and rightly so. They've reserved retiring numbers for Hall of Famers...#80, #71, #96.

King Dog

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":8pqvbyac said:

He left the Saints with a guaranteed $1.6M, supposedly he only gets beyond that if he earns it, the first part goes to the Saints?

Difficult to see why he has signed unless it was a commitment to him well above the $1.6, IF that is the situation.

My guess is league minimum - it will be for the rest of the year. Some kind of dollar for dollar credit with the Saints is what I read.

kpak76

Reaction score
austinslater25":2myzjhqp said:
Love this signing. Dynamic player. Pete worked some magic with another under performer a few short years ago....

If you're talking about Lynch, he was more underutilized by a inept Buffalo team. He had 2 thousand yard seasons even before he came to Seattle. When you don't use that special player, that special player can't shine. The Bill should have gotten a new head coach, and not drafted Spiller in the first round.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2s3h16o2 said:
hawksfansinceday1":2s3h16o2 said:
IndyHawk":2s3h16o2 said:
#28 is not in the ring of honor??That's just wrong..
VERY wrong imo.

Warner is in the Ring of Honor, but #28 is not retired, and rightly so. They've reserved retiring numbers for Hall of Famers...#80, #71, #96.
OK, that I can understand.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
While I like the gamble on signing Spiller, this move (and thread) reminds me a lot of the Jahri Evans signing when it happened.

He could pay off, or he could do nothing and be cut in a week or two. Just have to wait and see.

I don't think this spells out anything in particular to what they think of Alex Collins though.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":gps3e3mg said:

Based on overthecap.com and rotoworld.com, he's signed for the year with the Hawks. No terms are listed at either website... except except that at overthecap.com, he counts as $4.5M against their 2016 cap... and another $2.5M against their 2017 cap... dead money already paid to Spiller in signing bonuses.

Generally speaking, if a player is cut in the year in which their salarly (or a portion thereof) is fully guaranteed, the team that cuts the player has to pay that player their weekly game checks throughout the season... and unless there is an offset clause in their contract, the team cutting the player is responsible for all of that money regardless of how much the player signs for with their new team. Offset clauses are the exception... not the rule.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
From his press conference yesterday, sounds like Spiller isn't even 100% yet from his injury.

Why are we signing guys we need in the short term that aren't even 100% ready to roll? Confusing to me.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":w1ho6xgk said:
While I like the gamble on signing Spiller, this move (and thread) reminds me a lot of the Jahri Evans signing when it happened.

He could pay off, or he could do nothing and be cut in a week or two. Just have to wait and see.

This is a possibility.

Isn't Jahri Evans back with the Saints and starting at the guard position?

xgeoff

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3unj4lvg said:
It's almost like they could've kept Pope over Collins and this wouldn't have happened

Yes :( I like the Spiller signing, but wish we had just kept Pope.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
xgeoff":3kijtcl1 said:
Jerhawk":3kijtcl1 said:
It's almost like they could've kept Pope over Collins and this wouldn't have happened

Yes :( I like the Spiller signing, but wish we had just kept Pope.
No reason to keep Pope because you cannot project for injuries.

At the time rosters were set, the only known injury was Rawls and he was progressing. This means that you had a healthy Michaels, Collins, and Procise.

Rawls fractures his leg in Game 2, Procise breaks his wrist in game one.

Michaels and Collins get the bulk of the playing time. Collins has looked like a rookie; I would like to see more burst but he was playing when the defense knew we were going to milk clock.

Pope has been inactive for the Jets for 3 games and probably the 4th inactive is this Sunday. He's not doing anyone's roster any good.

Seafan

Reaction score
ivotuk":24od5m0x said:
SeahawksFanForever":24od5m0x said:
Seahawks were using Collins as a 3rd down back. Spiller is an immediate upgrade. Solid move!

Not too sure about that. I think they need to give those snaps to AC. There's a reason why Spiller is available.

A flippant comment. There were reasons that Rawls wasn't drafted. There were reasons CM was on the street last year.

Spiller IS an immediate upgrade at 3rd down back. You never want AC on the field on third down unless it's on a give up draw. The Hawks want to win.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Seen on Twitter

--

Officially on the job hunt: Anyone know of anybody looking for a 3 down back w/ great movement skills who's also freakishly good looking lol
— Justin Forsett (@JForsett) October 5, 2016

--

mrt144

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":3vsjuuzt said:
Seen on Twitter

--

Officially on the job hunt: Anyone know of anybody looking for a 3 down back w/ great movement skills who's also freakishly good looking lol

--

I'm sure that if worst comes to worst with the Seahawks, he'll get a ring.

McGruff

Reaction score
mrt144":28b4hlm2 said:
LeftHandSmoke":28b4hlm2 said:
Seen on Twitter

--

--

I'm sure that if worst comes to worst with the Seahawks, he'll get a ring.

More likely he moves to Oakland to try and keep the Beast out of trouble.