Seahawks search for veteran QB backup

chris98251

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1sgavr5a said:
Chris, please stop quoting posts that have four quotes already. Every last one you name was either a starter with good results or a should have been a starter behind truly elite guys and/or behind elite and/or first ballot Hofer's. None were unproven and none weren't starting material without question and pretty much proved it sometime along the line.

That's the whole point, they can be had, Plunkett played for bad New England teams, Kreig played for us and then was cut loose, Morrall was a long time player who was signed as a mentor and a favorite of Shula in Baltimore.

E.J. Manual has the skill set and was a starter in Buffalo, just a bad situation with coaches rotating and OC's rotating, Tannahill is in Miami and we don't need to look up how messed up that situation has been, there will be others made available but just using those as possible examples of starters that went or could go to back ups, hell look at Gabbert last year. Basically played his ass off and at least gave the 49ers some level of respect, would not be surprised if Foles once he clears waivers and is a legitimate F.A. gets looks as well.

Put it this way, I think there are players that could be had or are going to be available that can help us win, not the same way as with Wilson, but not throwing the towel in if Russell misses a game or two or something of that nature and can or could surprise us if it was longer.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":fjsiy27r said:
MizzouHawkGal":fjsiy27r said:
Chris, please stop quoting posts that have four quotes already. Every last one you name was either a starter with good results or a should have been a starter behind truly elite guys and/or behind elite and/or first ballot Hofer's. None were unproven and none weren't starting material without question and pretty much proved it sometime along the line.

That's the whole point, they can be had, Plunkett played for bad New England teams, Kreig played for us and then was cut loose, Morrall was a long time player who was signed as a mentor and a favorite of Shula in Baltimore.

E.J. Manual has the skill set and was a starter in Buffalo, just a bad situation with coaches rotating and OC's rotating, Tannahill is in Miami and we don't need to look up how messed up that situation has been, there will be others made available but just using those as possible examples of starters that went or could go to back ups, hell look at Gabbert last year. Basically played his ass off and at least gave the 49ers some level of respect, would not be surprised if Foles once he clears waivers and is a legitimate F.A. gets looks as well.

Put it this way, I think there are players that could be had or are going to be available that can help us win, not the same way as with Wilson, but not throwing the towel in if Russell misses a game or two or something of that nature and can or could surprise us if it was longer.
You are right in one thing EJ Manuel would be the best option out of many terrible options given he's pretty mobile and probably a good fit for our offense. I'd still rather roll with two quarterbacks and use the roster spot on someone useful.

chet380

Reaction score
kearly":tguecwcz said:
RiverDog":tguecwcz said:
I hear that Johnny Manziel is available...

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him a shot in 2017.

N/W/S his unfortunate off-field antics, he displayed great skill in his final college year -- if he can be persuaded to take steps to get his personal life together, a return to his college skills would be a bonus for the Hawks -- he's still just a kid and shouldn't be written off.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I like Boykin's potential, but his mechanics are absolutely horrendous, sorry; and there's no way they've been fixed in one offseason. I can't see the team rolling with him as #2.

EJ would be awesome.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Don't think this will happen but Tim Tebow is better option than many of the options mentioned earlier post. He would fit the scheme and he does have a playoff win under his belt. As a starter, no but as a backup QB it may work.

Maulbert

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":dcv09ohj said:

Jeff Hostetler. Trent Dilfer.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Maulbert":3g4vpb4r said:
MizzouHawkGal":3g4vpb4r said:

Since they aren't available and the current options are far worse what's your point? Unless you think a trade for Krapperpick is possible and not insane. It's possible he still could be fixed. Also both Differ and Hostetler would be starters in Houston and San Francisco, Denver, and the New York Jets in a New York minute.

Maulbert

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3klkd7gx said:
Maulbert":3klkd7gx said:
MizzouHawkGal":3klkd7gx said:

Since they aren't available and the current options are far worse what's your point? Unless you think a trade for Krapperpick is possible and not insane. It's possible he still could be fixed. Also both Differ and Hostetler would be starters in Houston and San Francisco, Denver, and the New York Jets in a New York minute.

No offense, but I don't think you define a backup QB how most people define it. Todd Collins was a good backup and went 4-1 for Washington in 2007, but he couldn’t win a starting job to save his life. Josh McCown is a good backup who played out of his mind for 5 weeks in 2013, but he is a shit starter. It can happen.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Maulbert":2wohcsbj said:
MizzouHawkGal":2wohcsbj said:
Maulbert":2wohcsbj said:
MizzouHawkGal":2wohcsbj said:

No offense, but I don't think you define a backup QB how most people define it. Todd Collins was a good backup and went 4-1 for Washington in 2007, but he couldn’t win a starting job to save his life. Josh McCown is a good backup who played out of his mind for 5 weeks in 2013, but he is a shit starter. It can happen.
Good luck with that. Let's just sign Johnny Unites as a backup quarterback. We lose Wilson for then 2-4 weeks we've talking should we do an Indianapolis dump for Luck maneuver. It's how the current NFL rolls hon. You pay your %quarterback and hope like hell you can pay anybody else fair value. B&t remember you better have said quarterback and have the balls to pay him.

1. New England
2. Pittsburgh
3. Green Bay

All perennial playoff teams and all cheap bastards in every way possible because they have a game changer in the only position that changes the game each play. Backup quarterbacks are irrelevant in the current NFL.

chris98251

Reaction score
Speaking of Indy, Luck was down and Hass was taking them to the playoffs till he also was injured, another Vet past his prime but reached back and found something left. They are there and can sustain a team.

two dog

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":397t7j7z said:
MizzouHawkGal":397t7j7z said:
kearly":397t7j7z said:
Mike Glennon would be a coup if Seattle could get him. I imagine that QB room might be a tad awkward for a few days though.

Seattle has pursued Chad Henne in the past. He's decently mobile with a plus arm and just turned 31 years old. He has 43 starts under his belt. The only drawback- he just signed a 2 year, $8 million contract, and Jacksonville probably wouldn't give him up for nothing. He'd be a pricey addition.

Christian Ponder and Michael Vick are currently free agents.
Seriously? Come on I expect you to actually talk football and not be me.....a girl that knows enough to embarrass the typical guy. This? It's pure stupid and making me reevaluate certain people and certain levels of acceptance on this site. Why do we need a veteran? Wilson is at elite level and like the rest the backup is trade bait. Let's roll with what we have.

If Wilson is seriously injured and we have to go with our backup for more then two games it's a lost season usually. Boykin could at least run the offense without any changes beyond him running more.

A dependable back-up with this defense and running game can still keep the ship afloat. Boykin has a bright future but he needs a lot of work. We need a veteran backup especially with this OL.

With this offensive line you don't need a veteran, you need a track star.

Whatever Boykin's other shortcomings may be, he has got wheels. I would rather
have him than a stiff with "good mechanics" who can't find his butt with a road map. (see Charlie).

Prospects of winning go down with even Tavaris in the game should Russell be injured.
Heaps is probably as good an option as some of those mentioned.

Why don't we watch Boykin in preseason games before we dismiss him outright.

two dog

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2hiojn81 said:
MizzouHawkGal":2hiojn81 said:
kearly":2hiojn81 said:
Mike Glennon would be a coup if Seattle could get him. I imagine that QB room might be a tad awkward for a few days though.

Seattle has pursued Chad Henne in the past. He's decently mobile with a plus arm and just turned 31 years old. He has 43 starts under his belt. The only drawback- he just signed a 2 year, $8 million contract, and Jacksonville probably wouldn't give him up for nothing. He'd be a pricey addition.

Seriously? Come on I expect you to actually talk football and not be me.....a girl that knows enough to embarrass the typical guy. This? It's pure stupid and making me reevaluate certain people and certain levels of acceptance on this site. Why do we need a veteran? Wilson is at elite level and like the rest the backup is trade bait. Let's roll with what we have.

If Wilson is seriously injured and we have to go with our backup for more then two games it's a lost season usually. Boykin could at least run the offense without any changes beyond him running more.

A dependable back-up with this defense and running game can still keep the ship afloat. Boykin has a bright future but he needs a lot of work. We need a veteran backup especially with this OL.

have him than a stiff with "good mechanics" who can't find his butt with a road map. (see Charlie).

Prospects of winning go down with even Tavaris in the game should Russell be injured.

Maulbert

Reaction score
two dog":2s6qh6f9 said:
Hasselbeck":2s6qh6f9 said:
MizzouHawkGal":2s6qh6f9 said:
kearly":2s6qh6f9 said:

I don't think anyone here is dismissing Boykin, we just want to avoid throwing him into the fire if we have to. Behind this line, I'd rather risk breaking a career backup than a rookie who's shown potential.

RiverDog

Reaction score
kearly":11u9u4xe said:
RiverDog":11u9u4xe said:
I hear that Johnny Manziel is available...

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him a shot in 2017.

Now that Kellen Moore has gone down with a broken ankle, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Cowboys bring in Johnny Football. It's a well known fact that Jerry Jones was just itching to take him in the first round back in 2014 but that his brain trust talked him out of it.

I'm good with the consensus, which seems to be to give Boykin a chance. If Russell goes down, we're screwed no matter who our backup is, so the only thing bringing in a player like Manziel, Vick, or on the other side of the moral spectrum, Tim Tebow, is going to do is cause a distraction.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Add the Chiefs backups to the mix of possible options for us to explore as camp goes on.

Aaron Murray or Tyler Bray could be had for a 7th round pick at this point.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'm of the suspicion the team will do everything it can to improve the depth at every position including QB. However, developing one of our own as the backup seems attractive especially if the player deveps tradeable value after a season or two. I suppose scoring a castoff from another team with solid skills amounts to the same thing. The later is usually more expensive though both I terms of money and in terms of draft picks.

Injuries are an everyday reality for football teams and having solid depth is what sets the great teams apart from lesser ones.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
top QB's i want us to go after:

1.) Tom Tivo
2.) Johnny Baseball
4.) Mike Hasselback
5.) Ron Jawarksi

Latest posts