Seahawks search for veteran QB backup

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Saw an article on PFT that said our esteemed GM was in the market for a veteran qb back up. I can completely understand the thought process here.

Now personally I'd like to see Boykin be good enough to get the job. He would be cheap and potentially be the closest thing to rw3. That said if he isn't ready who would you like to see come in? Foles is available and ive seen people suggesting EJ Manuel might be a roster cut. I think it's safe to say Tjax is done.

Story linky below.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...hawks-will-look-at-veteran-backup-qb-options/

TriCHawk

Reaction score
I'm gonna guess that Foles would probably rather go somewhere where he has a good shot at starting. I highly doubt he winds up in Seattle.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
In all liklihood we don't/won't have an O-line that could protect Foles.

Pass.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Seemed to be big hints in the radio today we may trade a 7th rd pick for Bryce Petty

Hawks46

Reaction score
My only issue with this is: where do you stash Boykin ? There's no way he makes it through waivers after Pete's been talking him up all offseason.

kearly

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":33hyqjei said:
Seemed to be big hints in the radio today we may trade a 7th rd pick for Bryce Petty

Would love that trade if it happened, but feels a bit like wishful thinking.

I wonder if Chicago would entertain the idea of Connor Shaw for a late pick?

McGruff

Reaction score
kearly":23ehe0ov said:
Glasgow Seahawk":23ehe0ov said:

I would prefer Shaw over Petty. But neither seems like a veteran Qb option.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
kearly":2f6e8yvz said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2f6e8yvz said:

Jets have 4 QB's right now and it's likely either him and/or Geno Smith get cut with Fitzpatrick being the starter and Hackenberg there. I think it's possible. Apparently John was interested in him last year.

I'm guessing any move they make will be soon to get a QB used to the system rather than waiting for post training camp cuts.

Fade

Reaction score
No need to be hasty if they want a vet. Let Boykin have a ton of reps early in training camp, and play him most of the 1st pre-season game, and if you feel uncomfortable, then go get a vet.

It would be dumb to sign or trade for a vet now. Then Boykin lights up training camp, and you have to turn around and cut said vet. losing draft picks and/or cap room in the process.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Its Vick time baby, going to buy a vick color rush jersey and wear it until the day I die.

HawkerD

Reaction score
How is Bryce petty even considered a "Veteran" Back up. He didn't even have a single snap in the regular season. Why do people (fans) fall in love with players who haven't proved a thing.

If Boykin didn't have his character issue at the Alamo Bowl he would have been a second or third rounder. What makes him a lesser choice than Petty as a back-up?

I would hardly consider anything he learned as a Jet worth a dime. That's a team as "F" 'ed up as a football bat, especially as far as QBs are concerned.

Yeah, lets bring in a guy who couldn't beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick or Geno Smith. :pukeface:

Maulbert

Reaction score
My preference:

1. Foles
2. Whitehurst
3. Flynn

Vick is finished. I know, Whitehurst and Flynn are no great shakes, but at least they know the system. The sad thing is I have no idea how we replace Jackson's coin flip calling prowess. Dude was damn near prescient. ;)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I really think EJ Manuel has been on their radar all offseason. Wouldn't surprise me if he's traded to Seattle before the season gets going.

kearly

Reaction score
McGruff":40soxldu said:
kearly":40soxldu said:
Glasgow Seahawk":40soxldu said:

I would prefer Shaw over Petty. But neither seems like a veteran Qb option.

Veteran QBs are expensive these days. Well, other than Tjack and Vick. But I think Seattle would have signed them already if it was in the cards.

kearly

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3gvapb6a said:
kearly":3gvapb6a said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3gvapb6a said:

Jets have 4 QB's right now and it's likely either him and/or Geno Smith get cut with Fitzpatrick being the starter and Hackenberg there. I think it's possible. Apparently John was interested in him last year.

I'm guessing any move they make will be soon to get a QB used to the system rather than waiting for post training camp cuts.

I know this will get me some hate, and I'll probably deserve it, but I wouldn't complain if the Seahawks acquired Geno Smith very cheap. He's going to fit our system a lot better than he ever did with the Jets, he has experience, and he's cheap. He's not a leader of men, but backups don't have to be. In some ways, his current situation is like Tjack's just before he came to Seattle in 2011.

Hasselbeck":3gvapb6a said:
I really think EJ Manuel has been on their radar all offseason. Wouldn't surprise me if he's traded to Seattle before the season gets going.

I could certainly see this happening. Tyrod Taylor is an injury magnet but Cardale Jones can probably be trusted enough as a rookie to spot start here and there. Seattle made a similar trade a couple years ago for Terrelle Pryor.

Maulbert

Reaction score
kearly":1r4ns8wa said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1r4ns8wa said:
kearly":1r4ns8wa said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1r4ns8wa said:

I know this will get me some hate, and I'll probably deserve it, but I wouldn't complain if the Seahawks acquired Geno Smith. He's going to fit our system a lot better than he ever did with the Jets, he has experience, and he's cheap. He's not a leader of men, but backups don't have to be. In some ways, his current situation is like Tjack's just before he came to Seattle in 2011.

I know defending Jackson right now is dicey at best, but people forget he led the Vikings to a division title and had a positive TD-to-Int ratio before he got to Seattle. Yes, his career record was 10-10, but that's still better than Geno Smith. As John Clayton has said, a good backup will win you three games and lose you three games. That's not Geno Smith.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RiverDog":3llzxhg7 said:
I hear that Johnny Manziel is available...
Yeah but the nightlife in Seattle pales in comparison to Vegas so he's waitin' for the Raiders to move there.

I like the idea of EJ or Geno.