Seahawks search for veteran QB backup

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
If they get someone they better be mobile and can throw on the run with this o-line and OC.

dogorama

Reaction score
kearly":1acu8q07 said:
McGruff":1acu8q07 said:
kearly":1acu8q07 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1acu8q07 said:
Seemed to be big hints in the radio today we may trade a 7th rd pick for Bryce Petty

Would love that trade if it happened, but feels a bit like wishful thinking.

I wonder if Chicago would entertain the idea of Connor Shaw for a late pick?

I would prefer Shaw over Petty. But neither seems like a veteran Qb option.

Veteran QBs are expensive these days. Well, other than Tjack and Vick. But I think Seattle would have signed them already if it was in the cards.

With MB negotiations ongoing, contingency money that has to be stashed, and the fact that we have very little cap, Boles and any other veteran that can command dollars are out of the question. I doubt we will be able to anyone for more than 1 mil.

Boohman14

Reaction score
Tebo?

Never mind...If Russ goes down I'd like to ride with Boykin. He may be better when he has some time in the system. He has explosive play potential.

kearly

Reaction score
Maulbert":vimyf8wm said:
I know defending Jackson right now is dicey at best, but people forget he led the Vikings to a division title and had a positive TD-to-Int ratio before he got to Seattle. Yes, his career record was 10-10, but that's still better than Geno Smith. As John Clayton has said, a good backup will win you three games and lose you three games. That's not Geno Smith.

I had a post here five years ago almost to the day, where I talked about some free agent moves I wanted Seattle to make. That was the weird CBA year with August FA. I had Tjack and Alan Branch on my short list. I never thought Tjack was a franchise QB, but I thought he fit us pretty well and was undervalued since he was a 2nd round pick that disappointed the team that drafted him. So obviously, I thought it was pretty cool when Seattle signed him and Branch like a week later.

Geno Smith IS a lousy QB... with the Jets. I don't know what it is, but the Jets just love drafting college system QBs and then completely fail to build that same system for them in the NFL. They didn't even try to make Smith into a game manager, which is really what they should have done. When Mark Sanchez left the Jets he immediately turned into a competent backup QB. I could see the same for Geno especially for a smart team like Seattle. He's FAR from my first choice... just sayin' that if it happens dirt cheap, I won't hate it.

kearly

Reaction score
RiverDog":2mzze5zf said:
I hear that Johnny Manziel is available...

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him a shot in 2017.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
We sucked when tjack was in so I have no trouble with boinkin
Ej manual might do ok here but I actually think boinkin could run and dodge ok if our oline hs issues and we know where he came from he can already make plays on the run and we are the number one team for that sort of play

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":3vkw6nh7 said:
RiverDog":3vkw6nh7 said:
I hear that Johnny Manziel is available...

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him a shot in 2017.
God no, I'd rather they go for EJ Manuel at least he would be available and not suspended for some stupid reason. Given a choice I'd pass on all available choices and roll with what we have.

two dog

Reaction score
I think the best option may already be on the roster.

The coaches seem to feel Treyvon Boykin is both smart and a quick study.
Heaven knows he has the mobility along with a big arm.

True, he lacks experience but he has had lots of high quality time at QB in college.
I'm banking on Russel's self preservation skills to give Boykin time to acclimate.

If he doesn't make the roster he will forever be looked upon as the one that got away.

two dog

Reaction score
I think the best option may already be on the roster.

The coaches seem to feel Treyvon Boykin is both smart and a quick study.
Heaven knows he has the mobility along with a big arm.

True, he lacks experience but he has had lots of high quality time at QB in college.
I'm banking on Russel's self preservation skills to give Boykin time to acclimate.

If he doesn't make the roster he will forever be looked upon as the one that got away.

Hairsbredth

Reaction score
Emergency QB backup? The safety from Wisconsin. Multi skilled player who in the clutch may hold the fort down as an extra QB on Game day. If he makes the team as a safety then it would be gravy. Or is it Groovy?

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Hairsbredth":3jo4lgl2 said:
Emergency QB backup? The safety from Wisconsin. Multi skilled player who in the clutch may hold the fort down as an extra QB on Game day. If he makes the team as a safety then it would be gravy. Or is it Groovy?
:2thumbs:
Tanner McEvoy. 6'6" mobile ex-quarterback from Wisconsin. Big, fast two-way player--athlete.
He's no veteran but I dont think we picked him for his talent at safety either.

kearly

Reaction score
Mike Glennon would be a coup if Seattle could get him. I imagine that QB room might be a tad awkward for a few days though.

Seattle has pursued Chad Henne in the past. He's decently mobile with a plus arm and just turned 31 years old. He has 43 starts under his belt. The only drawback- he just signed a 2 year, $8 million contract, and Jacksonville probably wouldn't give him up for nothing. He'd be a pricey addition.

Christian Ponder and Michael Vick are currently free agents.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think they want a Vet not because of doubts of Boykins ability, but because Pete wants a QB that has been tested in a NFL game, remember he gave Wilson the Keys but had the air in the tires lowered a governor on the throttle and a safety net in the back field. Wilson has had to push Bevell and Pete to get the control he has and the flexibility to do some things.

As far as Glennon, he has talent, he has guts and is more athletic then given credit for, but if I am him this is the last place I would want to go, he would not be given a chance to start here, he has teams that could use his ability such as the Jets, the Chargers would be a good spot also, Rivers isn't going to last forever, Miami also, maybe Baltimore if Flacco questions arise again.

E J Manual I think may be a better grab for a back up, he is much more durable looking, has a good arm just needs some good QB coaching, he seems to have the locker room on his side in Buffalo when he has played as well. He would be able to play more of his game here also.

If Miami decided to move on from Tannehill I think we would make a trade for him though.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":2yszwkcl said:
I think they want a Vet not because of doubts of Boykins ability, but because Pete wants a QB that has been tested in a NFL game, remember he gave Wilson the Keys but had the air in the tires lowered a governor on the throttle and a safety net in the back field. Wilson has had to push Bevell and Pete to get the control he has and the flexibility to do some things.
I know. But Boykin isn't chopped liver and comes in with a serious pedigree like Russ. And you don't have to remodel the offense for these other stiffs that were previously mentioned.

chris98251

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":uzexrzut said:
chris98251":uzexrzut said:
I know. But Boykin isn't chopped liver and comes in with a serious pedigree like Russ. And you don't have to remodel the offense for these other stiffs that were previously mentioned.

Yes and he is a grooming QB at this point, Wilson is the exception to the rule, give him a full season to learn situational football and become confident with the system and the coaches with him then maybe. They want a QB that won't lose a game not necessarily have to win one I think. That's a QB that will follow the direction of coaching make reads and play within himself, but if asked to can potentially play at a high level . I said potentially without mistakes, that's something a rookie won't be able to do.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":so1pv7wy said:
MizzouHawkGal":so1pv7wy said:
chris98251":so1pv7wy said:

Yes and he is a grooming QB at this point, Wilson is the exception to the rule, give him a full season to learn situational football and become confident with the system and the coaches with him then maybe. They want a QB that won't lose a game not necessarily have to win one I think. That's a QB that will follow the direction of coaching make reads and play within himself, but if asked to can potentially play at a high level . I said potentially without mistakes, that's something a rookie won't be able to do.
So if you absolutely need 3 quarterbacks I'd go beyond scarecrow dude. Glennon sure isn't it (I say screw that silliness and give me a player that can drop down and allow for a Bandit defense 24/7). Again if Wilson isn't our quarterback WE ARE DONE. Was that loud enough for you to hear? The other options available are terrible and the exact reason we pay Wilson big money. Money well spent in my opinion.

chris98251

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3b4bdbrx said:
chris98251":3b4bdbrx said:
MizzouHawkGal":3b4bdbrx said:
chris98251":3b4bdbrx said:

So if you absolutely need 3 quarterbacks I'd go beyond scarecrow dude. Glennon sure isn't it (I say screw that silliness and give me a player that can drop down and allow for a Bandit defense 24/7). Again if Wilson isn't our quarterback WE ARE DONE. Was that loud enough for you to hear? The other options available are terrible.

No I don't believe that, I have seen QB's lead teams before after a starter goes down, Earl Morral in Miami, Dave Kreig in Detroit, Jim Plunkett in Oakland was not brought there as a starter but won a Super Bowl was the MVP. There are others but the point is there are QB's that can be had, the common denominator is guys that win, are gutsy and the team believes in. Finding a guy that's had the experience but still has something left in the tank and fits the system is the key.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
We don't have to lose hope that Tarvaris will be cleared of all charges and return to a team that will embrace him.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Chris, please stop quoting posts that have four quotes already. Every last one you name was either a starter with good results or a should have been a starter behind truly elite guys and/or behind elite and/or first ballot Hofer's. None were unproven and none weren't starting material without question and pretty much proved it sometime along the line.