Seahawks possibly trding Irvin to ATL draft ramifications

Largent80

Reaction score
Devin Smith has been forgotten in all the other WR talk, and as you said Kip, if used right, he could be "that guy"...

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawkNuts":3dc9zs10 said:
Bruce Irvin has

16.5 sacks
3 forced fumbles
3 interceptions

in 3 years...

And Quentin Coples, whom the Jets drafted with the pick after Irvin, also has 16.5 sacks. The Jets picked up his 5th year option already. Your point ?

PFF has Irvin rated the 11th best OLB in the league, out of 62 qualifying players. He's only played LB, at the HS, College, and Pro level....for 2 years. Signs point to more progression and that he hasn't hit his ceiling yet.

The thing is, McGruff has it right. That LBer position doesn't hold a ton of value in our defense. We can get similar production from a lot of guys. They won't have Irvin's athleticism, but they can still produce similar results. Now, if Irvin makes more impact plays next year, then we'll see.

Irvin only has 3 picks in his career. Obviously he got none while being the rotational DE as a rookie. Of the others, 1 was 35 yards down field, and the other 2 went for TD's. That's what he gives you when he's on.

mikeak

Reaction score
Atlanta drafted their guy for the same role as Irvin so doubt this trade happens.

Next

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Largent80":2wi3lp3d said:
Devin Smith has been forgotten in all the other WR talk, and as you said Kip, if used right, he could be "that guy"...
Not by me, he's the #1 WR I want

LTH

Reaction score
I dont buy any of it... there are or have been so many rumors floating around... none of them have come true... there are about 5-6 really good recievers on the board left... could the Hawks trade up for one of them? sure... they dont need to give up BI... I just dont buy it...

LTH

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Hawks46":2w0k4tfa said:
HawkNuts":2w0k4tfa said:
Bruce Irvin has

16.5 sacks
3 forced fumbles
3 interceptions

in 3 years...

And Quentin Coples, whom the Jets drafted with the pick after Irvin, also has 16.5 sacks. The Jets picked up his 5th year option already. Your point ?

PFF has Irvin rated the 11th best OLB in the league, out of 62 qualifying players. He's only played LB, at the HS, College, and Pro level....for 2 years. Signs point to more progression and that he hasn't hit his ceiling yet.

The thing is, McGruff has it right. That LBer position doesn't hold a ton of value in our defense. We can get similar production from a lot of guys. They won't have Irvin's athleticism, but they can still produce similar results. Now, if Irvin makes more impact plays next year, then we'll see.

Irvin only has 3 picks in his career. Obviously he got none while being the rotational DE as a rookie. Of the others, 1 was 35 yards down field, and the other 2 went for TD's. That's what he gives you when he's on.

The jets don't have a franchise QB and MLB to sign.

The point is that he is an average player in the NFL and highly overvalued by Seahawk fans because of where he was drafted and what he might do.

But I would rather have him for this year and get a potential comp pick in the future.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Yeah, this trade died the moment Atlanta got that first round pick.

But if anything, that also cements the idea that Atlanta really wants to fix that position even at a high cost.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Just for the record did it come out of the Hawks mouth that they are not going to give Irvin a 5th year option or is it just media speculation? Since when did teams go public about not extending a player before he plays a snap in his last season...

McGruff

Reaction score
The team has officially said nothing and has until Sunday to make a decision.

But I don't see them paying Irvin $8 million in 2016.

LTH

Reaction score
So... whats to keep them from restructuring his contract?

LTH

McGruff

Reaction score
LTH":sbikbfpc said:
So... whats to keep them from restructuring his contract?

LTH

Why would he want to? 8 million is a lot of money.

I would love to see an extension for Bruce, but its hard when his upside is unknown and his age puts him in 3rd contract range, not 2nd.

LTH

Reaction score
im not sold on Irvin anyway...

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
mikeak":17spfe8x said:
Atlanta drafted their guy for the same role as Irvin so doubt this trade happens.

Next
Is Irvin a Leo? Last I checked he isn't.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
The whole point of having irvin isnt LEO Its SAM.

they would essentially be double dipping into pass rush with bruce on one side and vic beasley on the other?

mikeak

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":n5a4sman said:
mikeak":n5a4sman said:

Next
Is Irvin a Leo? Last I checked he isn't.

Was driving yesterday so didn't hear everything but when they were interviewing Beasley he said several times that he thought he would be used as Irvin is used in Seattle which is where I drew the conclusion that they wouldn't need Irvin.

Guess we will see :)

DJrmb

Reaction score
Well, guess we'll have to wait to hear from JS to see if we really were targeting DGB...

#DGBSmokescreen

:snack:

Latest posts