Seahawks' mistreatment of Bobby Wagner could cost them

Rat

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is going to care about this anymore within like a few weeks.

Elemas

Reaction score
If it weren’t for the millions of dollars thrown around, I’d believe it. Totally don’t agree with the way it went down but, I doubt anyone holds this against the team as it’s more typical these days and less shock/awe.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Seattle has paid Bobby almost $85M over the past 10 years. Don't think that they owe him much more.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Seattle has always positioned itself as player-oriented.

Carroll is supposedly a 'players coach'. It is one of the few reasons to come here because he is not a tactical or strategic master like some.

When you are competing for FAs, sometimes it comes down to a decision - a FA is on the fence between 1 -3 teams. Little things push you over the edge vs the competition. One of our things is supposedly how we treat our players.

So yes, stuff like this matters. Because it shows we don't actually have that advantage, which means someone on the fence that would have been pushed to our side will now rethink it.

Remember when we won so many UDFAs over other teams because we had a reputation that no matter what slot you were drafted, you could earn a spot? Even against veterans if you outplayed them>? Notice we no longer win those ? Because it became clear that the whole 'Always Compete' thing was no longer in effect anymore.

And we started losing those fights for sought after UDFAs. Well, now we are making it harder for us to sign FAs that are torn between us and another team.

It was dumb. For so many reasons it was dumb. But just for self-interest it was. And yes, it will have an impact.

misfit

Reaction score
JTB":2kv0d3zc said:
Clearly the players who re-signed yesterday were livid about it.

not talking about resigning our own, but getting fas who haven't played here to sign here

their is a black eye on this organization and how they treat their legends. plus we're rebuilding. we really have nothing to offer but money right now.

Hyak

Reaction score
misfit":1k5bqhpg said:
JTB":1k5bqhpg said:

not talking about resigning our own, but getting fas who haven't played here to sign here

their is a black eye on this organization and how they treat their legends. plus we're rebuilding. we really have nothing to offer but money right now.

It's a non issue. Florio is just a moron creating stories. It's no coincidence he has a regular appearance on Softy's pathetic show.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
JTB":1e7lccqk said:

Beat me to it. Exactly. Much ado...

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I think this story is making a mountain out of a mole hill. So we should believe 10 years of having a players back should be thrown out window (PC has always had his players back) because a leak occurred and the news got out before PC and JS could let him know? That's preposterous IMO.

I doubt this one story is going to give FA's pause of coming here.

kf3339

Reaction score
We only heard one side of the story. He had to know that his cap hit and salary wasn't going to work for this year. He may be bitter, but he was paid well as stated above.

This will be forgotten within a few days.

Fade

Reaction score
Treating your legendary players like $hiiit is clearly what is needed to build a championship team, clearly. If you don't do it, you can't win. That's why the Seahawks did what they did. :eek:

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Fade":3lm7qxwj said:
Treating your legendary players like $hiiit is clearly what is needed to build a championship team, clearly. If you don't do it, you can't win. That's why the Seahawks did what they did. :eek:

Leaks are unfortunate but it wasn't on purpose for gods sake. The fake outrage some of you have to conjure up is incredibly unnecessary

Hawks have been great to Bobby over the years

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I don't think what is going to cost the Seahawks more regarding obtaining FA talent is the fact that the Hawks had a bad year and just traded/released two large pieces of talent which signifies rebuild. And FAs who want to win now, will not see the Seahawks as an attractive team.

Now from a fan perspective, yes this mistreatment of Bobby may not exactly lose fans, but it doesn't exactly build love for the franchise. I think all the second chance players the Hawks have picked up and how things in general have turned out has not left this franchise with a very good reputation. It's even worse if the Hawks pick up Deshaun Watson. Charged or not the allegations he had with the amount of women involved is going to be a topic of conversation by many people because it is a very sensitive topic that hits personally to so many people whether directly or indirectly.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
We don’t even know how much if anything Wagner said is true.

When millions of dollars are on the tables I don’t think players are NOT considering Seattle as a team they can sign with.

These are millions of dollars and players have different interests in mind, I don’t think what Wagner said will be the final nail in the coffin and Seattle will not get any free agents to sign ever again.

That’s just overblowing it.

Wagner, for all we know is just in his feelings and butt hurt about being released.

Fade

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2qfss4n4 said:
Fade":2qfss4n4 said:

Leaks are unfortunate but it wasn't on purpose for gods sake. The fake outrage some of you have to conjure up is incredibly unnecessary

Hawks have been great to Bobby over the years

I'm not outraged, I'm laughing. :lol:

flv

Reaction score
It's how the NFL is. Teams want to control information and how it's perceived. They're making the decision and timing on when a player leaves, not the player. It's not new and it never looks good. Wagner knew he wasn't going to be paid $16.6M by the Seahawks for 2022. From the team's perspective, to quote a British phrase, 'it was a good day to bury bad news'.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Or maybe Bobby isn't nearly as sensitive as some of the fans are? Or not as sensitive at they think HE is??