Seahawks going back to a 4-3?

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Richard Sherman had a recent podcast where he had brought up the idea of the Seahawks going back to a 4-3 defensive alignment. I had 1st thought about it when they allowed Sean Desai to seek other employment than the Bobby Wagner signing made me pretty confident they will be going back to PCs old defense. I am assuming they will be loading up on DL in the draft and roster cuts

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Richard Sherman had a recent podcast where he had brought up the idea of the Seahawks going back to a 4-3 defensive alignment. I had 1st thought about it when they allowed Sean Desai to seek other employment than the Bobby Wagner signing made me pretty confident they will be going back to PCs old defense. I am assuming they will be loading up on DL in the draft and roster cuts
People on the Bears board think Carter would be better in 4/3 than 3/4. I think it depends on the players the Seahawks can get out of this draft, especially nose tackle.

OP
OP
Hawkinaz

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
People on the Bears board think Carter would be better in 4/3 than 3/4. I think it depends on the players the Seahawks can get out of this draft, especially nose tackle.
I would agree with your fellow Bear board members. IMO Carter is a more natural fit as a 4-3 DT vs a 3-4 DE.

This years draft is really up in the air with a lot of guessing going on it’s going to be very interesting

bman75

Reaction score
If we are switching back to a 4-3 and we pick Carter would that put Kancey as an option at 20?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
If we go back to the 4-3, I would hope we go with a modified cover 2. Vary the SS and FS so they hide the scheme.

bman75

Reaction score
It doesn't feel like this is a good safety draft other than Branch but it sounds like he might be a good slot cover guy

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm misinformed, but during that 4 game win streak last season, didn't we shift back to more of a 4-3 look?
We used a lot of different formations. We mostly limited the use of the 2-4-5 formation. We still used quite a bit of 3-4. It wasn’t even necessarily the 3-4 that got us, it was the other packages we were doing like 2-4-5.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
I would agree with your fellow Bear board members. IMO Carter is a more natural fit as a 4-3 DT vs a 3-4 DE.

This years draft is really up in the air with a lot of guessing going on it’s going to be very interesting
Agreed - Carter's most natural fit is probably as a 4-3 DT.

With that said, I don't have any issues seeing where he fits in a 3-4. I think you can play him all 3 downs up-and-down the line without modifying scheme.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Pretty sure Jones is a better fit as a 3-4 DE than a 4-3 DE. Reed was playing 3-4 DE in GB. So I'm not sure we are going back to 4-3. Only Taylor seems to fit as a 4-3 LEO. Nwosu is a 3-4 EDGE.

We need a 2 down NT and some rotational pieces for the 3-4. If we are going back to a 4-3 we need a lot more DT types and some stouter ends. And we need more off ball LB's.

I think Sherm was merely spitballing. But remember under Norton, our 4-3 defence was awful at stopping the run as well. What I think we are really doing is going to Pete's forte: Excellent secondary. Pass rush creates sacks but so does excellent coverage.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Pretty sure Jones is a better fit as a 3-4 DE than a 4-3 DE. Reed was playing 3-4 DE in GB. So I'm not sure we are going back to 4-3. Only Taylor seems to fit as a 4-3 LEO. Nwosu is a 3-4 EDGE.

We need a 2 down NT and some rotational pieces for the 3-4. If we are going back to a 4-3 we need a lot more DT types and some stouter ends. And we need more off ball LB's.

I think Sherm was merely spitballing. But remember under Norton, our 4-3 defence was awful at stopping the run as well. What I think we are really doing is going to Pete's forte: Excellent secondary. Pass rush creates sacks but so does excellent coverage.
It's true they weren't great but they weren't as bad as the turnstiles they were under Hurtt last season. That was epically bad.

warden

Reaction score
We lacked identity last year. Didn’t have the personal on the line to run either. Constantly switch from one system to the other trying to figure it out.

The team definitely understood the problem, that is why four of the DL are no longer with us and we have two new additions. Like to see what they are going to do tonight in the draft

Fade

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm misinformed, but during that 4 game win streak last season, didn't we shift back to more of a 4-3 look?
Yeah, they went to the Bear front, it caught teams off guard for a few weeks. Then opponents adjusted and the Seahawks went back to being crap on defense the rest of the season.