Seahawks are a young team.... well, are they?

hawk45

Reaction score
truehawksfan":2jet0phx said:
Whats do these players have in common?
-Chris Carson
-Rashaad Penny
-David Moore
-Germsin Ofedi
-Nick Vannett

I think the fans grant that the defense is young, at least I do, so I'll leave that out. Makes sense they would struggle.

But the above-listed offensive players do not support a narrative as to why the offense might struggle.

You have your prime, franchise QB, and an OL that is playing well this year, so take Ifedi off the list because the OL unit is great.

Carson plays great, so his youth isn't an impediment either.

Penny is a 2nd-3rd stringer at a position where youth is generally not as big an issue.

Moore is on a unit where the other 2 players (Baldwin and Lockett) are prime vets, and Moore himself has played well outside of one game.

Vannett is playing well this year and there are other vets at that position.

If the players you listed were struggling I'd say okay, yeah, youth may be affecting them. But if none of them are really struggling?

I buy the new OC excuse far more than I buy any excuse about youth with the offensive players. You can't have every single player on offense be 30. Our young players are spread around just fine on that side of the ball.

That said, the offense is lights-out running the ball. It's really only passing that's head-scratching sometimes. Could very well be a new OC. I mean Wilson had one poopie game and one amazing game and outside of that we're just not quite there in terms of figuring out how to use play action to greatest effect.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
zetes":1jbpxf2f said:
The Secondary is probably the one "mostly youthful" unit on the team

That right there is pretty much enough to explain our struggles. Pete Carroll's defenses are built around the secondary and ours is giving up massive chunks of yardage to good quarterbacks.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
zetes":1e7fn7jr said:
the Rams are officially younger than us and they don't seem to have an issue with youthful inxpereince.

Their defense is struggling considerably, pass rush notwithstanding. Their QB is peaking in his third year and that's pretty much all that matters.

OP
OP
Z

zetes

Reaction score
Bandwagon76":36yam21m said:
Good read and I respect your opinion.

Thanks. That's all I anted to hear really.... LOL!

Seriously, we are all just throwing around our opinion or our "opinions of other people's opinions" and none of us have a chance of changing the outcomes anyway (unless Pete is secretly looking for our advice). So, a few "I respect your opinion" or "I read your post and don't agree but see where you are coming from" can go a long way to keeping every civil here.

Cheers

Z.

OP
OP
Z

zetes

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1hvgyhtb said:
zetes":1hvgyhtb said:

That right there is pretty much enough to explain our struggles. Pete Carroll's defenses are built around the secondary and ours is giving up massive chunks of yardage to good quarterbacks.

Well, if the argument is that "the secondary is young and inexperienced" and we are not grouping the rest of the team in with that "youthful inexperience" explanation of the team's inconsistent play then I totally can understand that opinion. My issue is that I don't see any of these 4 being as good as any of Thomas/Sherman/Chancellor. I have high hopes for Flowers but they are really just "hopes" right now. I think McDougald is playing lights-out football right now but I don't think his body will last many more seasons with the type of physical football we need from him -- I mean look what happened to Chancellor and he was physically a menace just to look at. That's just my opinion and many of you might very well believe that they all just need time and coaching to make them into a top 5 secondary -- I'm just not seeing it. I do remember watching Sherman in his second year exhibition games and i remember seeing the best cornerback play by a Seahawk I'd ever seen -- so, maybe that is biasing my own expectations.

Z.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
zetes":1n21ywa0 said:
MontanaHawk05":1n21ywa0 said:
zetes":1n21ywa0 said:

Well, if the argument is that "the secondary is young and inexperienced" and we are not grouping the rest of the team in with that "youthful inexperience" explanation of the team's inconsistent play then I totally can understand that opinion. My issue is that I don't see any of these 4 being as good as any of Thomas/Sherman/Chancellor. I have high hopes for Flowers but they are really just "hopes" right now. I think McDougald is playing lights-out football right now but I don't think his body will last many more seasons with the type of physical football we need from him -- I mean look what happened to Chancellor and he was physically a menace just to look at. That's just my opinion and many of you might very well believe that they all just need time and coaching to make them into a top 5 secondary -- I'm just not seeing it. I do remember watching Sherman in his second year exhibition games and i remember seeing the best cornerback play by a Seahawk I'd ever seen -- so, maybe that is biasing my own expectations.

Z.

If you're expecting the next LOB, then of course you're going to be disappointed what this new group of DB's is doing. The LOB in their prime was arguably the greatest defensive backfield in the history of the league...............expecting that to be duplicated is naive.

But what Pete is building is a good young defensive backfield that's probably still missing a great FS or corner. But IMO at least half the group is there with Griffin and McDougald............jury's still out on Flowers and the FS position.