Seahawks acquire Kelcie McCray from the Chiefs (S)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I just hope Bailey or McCray pan out and make Kam replaceable. We'll see how much he hates his salary then.

edogg23

Reaction score
kobebryant":2f3yud7x said:
King Dog":2f3yud7x said:
kobebryant":2f3yud7x said:
northseahawk":2f3yud7x said:
trading is not an area of expertise for JS n Pete. They always get fleeced.

Always. The absolutely got "fleeced" getting Marshawn Lynch, Leon Washington, Chris Clemons, getting KJ Wright with the pick acquired for Deion Branch, getting Byron Maxwell with the pick acquired for Lawrence Jackson, getting JR Sweezy and Tharold Simon in the Aaron Curry trade.

:sarcasm_off:

Wow. Those were a while ago. Looks like we're getting worse evaluating trades for sure.

Jury is still out on the Jimmy and Lockett trades.
No one remembers the good ones apparently.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Some of you need to get your priorities straight. A future 5th round pick that is likely to be around the #170 selection overall in exchange for a veteran backup at key position (FS) where you have basically nothing behind the starter (who has yet to return to full contact), and for a player who is also an elite ST's coverage guy, is a VERY fair swap. I know everyone wants to believe that future Day 3 draft picks are more important than players who can help a team win a Super Bowl right now while their SB window is open, but the reality is that the vast majority 5th round picks turn into Jimmy Staten and Mark Legree, not Richard Sherman or Kam Chancellor. A future late 5th round pick does absolutely nothing to help the 2015 Seattle Seahawks. Kelcie McCray does.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":wgai2vdn said:
Some of you need to get your priorities straight. A future 5th round pick that is likely to be around the #170 selection overall in exchange for a veteran backup at key position (FS) where you have basically nothing behind the starter (who has yet to return to full contact), and for a player who is also an elite ST's coverage guy, is a VERY fair swap. I know everyone wants to believe that future Day 3 draft picks are more important than players who can help a team win a Super Bowl right now while their SB window is open, but the reality is that the vast majority 5th round picks turn into Jimmy Staten and Mark Legree, not Richard Sherman or Kam Chancellor. A future late 5th round pick does absolutely nothing to help the 2015 Seattle Seahawks. Kelcie McCray does.

Im fine with this trade. From what is sounds like he will instantly contribute to special teams and if god forbid he has to play for an extended period of time he at least has experience. Playing with this defense also might mask his weakness to whatever that might be. Lets not forget he will be playing with Sherman, Wagner and Thomas to name a few

King Dog

Reaction score
I love it though. Should be no problem getting a 3rd for Christine if this guy (who no one has ever heard of) get's a 5th. Sweet!

Oh yeah - and if this guy get's a 5th, we better get a 1st for Kam.

inda2o6

Reaction score
I trust PC/JS. They use good judgement. People on the board should look to the player cut today as an example of how the Seahawks operate. Terry Poole was a 4th round pick this year, and Thomas Rawls was an undrafted freeagent. You get drafted on talent, you make the 53 man roster by earning it. Drafting is just the foot in the door, they need to prove their worth to stay. That's how i see it being done. A 5th rounder isnt steep when this can happen to Terry Poole. :snack:

morgulon1

Reaction score
kearly":25i3vu6d said:
Hasselbeck":25i3vu6d said:
A FIFTH?! That seems crazy high to me

Such is the hidden price of having a low waiver priority.

It was kind of annoying to give the Lions a 6th round pick for Seisay, a guy that the Lions were very likely to cut. But the Hawks basically had to, because Seattle is 31st on waiver priority. The fact that they offered a 6th strongly hints that someone else offered a 7th. I suspect it was the same thing here for McCray.

I'm not saying that this trade will pan out, but Seattle has a pretty good track record when going through other team's garbage. They used that process to get difference makers like Raheem Brock, Brandon Stokely, O'Brien Schofield, Mike-Rob, Will Tukuafu, Tony Mokeaki, etc. Granted, none of those guys involved losing a pick, but it's basically the same process.

Van Halen

garrylt4

Reaction score
I think whoever we would have drafted with that 5th round pick would have been a head scratcher to the TV talking heads that no one knows about. So instead well just sign whoever it would have been as a UFA.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
For those complaining about a 5th, what were they supposed to give up? They just traded away their 6th round pick, and it doesn't seem likely that their 7th was sufficient. So while you may feel they "overpaid" by a round, they got a guy they obviously wanted with a pick that will be replenished when the comp picks are announced. They already have too many draft picks so why not use them to better the roster?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
edogg23":fz72co9d said:
kobebryant":fz72co9d said:
Wow. Those were a while ago. Looks like we're getting worse evaluating trades for sure.

Jury is still out on the Jimmy and Lockett trades.
No one remembers the good ones apparently.[/quote]
Who wants to talk about the good things when they can complain instead??

Especially with this fan base, complainers are the loudest

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
McCray will be a plus special teamer day one, and provide some depth at safety.

Key to this is he is probably seen as a better option than anyone who was cut (and hopefully better than Terrell).

massari

Reaction score
King Dog":2205jk3z said:
I love it though. Should be no problem getting a 3rd for Christine if this guy (who no one has ever heard of) get's a 5th. Sweet!

Oh yeah - and if this guy get's a 5th, we better get a 1st for Kam.

haha, This.

lukerguy

Reaction score
bigwrm":33ascrfa said:
Yikes, 5th? Schneider always seems to overpay when trading.

Yeah JS is a horrible GM, right? Give your head a shake.

Remember when he acquired Marshawn Lynch for a 4th round pick?

massari

Reaction score
lukerguy":1k9ggj6c said:
bigwrm":1k9ggj6c said:

But you have to admit while he's made a ton of great moves, there have been some head scratchers.

titan3131

Reaction score
Everyone would be happy if he traded a 4th not a 5th.

4th round is bust central outside of KJ.

The 5th has been money...

Bobblehead

Reaction score
We should trade every 4th round we ever have.. black hole.

Jville

Reaction score
Regarding future draft picks .......

Last year, the team joined the rest of the league in featuring the nickle defense as it's most common personnel group. There is a lot of demand around the league for a limited supply of defensive backs. Compounding the need are the effects DB attrition due to injury and cap losses. The best time to address replacement and development needs is when opportunities present themselves. That time is now.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
If it was Travis Kelcie I would be excited. Otherwise who cares about a 5th round pick likely to result in some player we cut in preseason anyway in comparison to a guy that actually plays in the regular season at a spot we need serious help in (thank you Kam, love ya more each day, trust me I'd never lie hon).

bigwrm

Reaction score
lukerguy":9k9s4wna said:
bigwrm":9k9s4wna said:

That's not at all what I was saying. Schneider can simultaneously be one of the top 3 GMs in the game while tending to pay top dollar in terms of trade compensation.

Of course the Lynch trade (which was actually for two picks) was a great deal, but if you objectively look at Schneider's trade history, he often overpays. The most obvious example was giving up a 1st, 3rd, and 7th for Percy. Irrespective of how he turned out as a player, at the time that was too much to give up for someone who immediately got a top-of-the market extension. It would have been much more reasonable if he had a couple cheap years of team control left on his deal.

Like DavidSeven mentioned, if you look at Schneider's record of draft day pick swaps he often ends up giving up more than the other team. My guess is that he's just not a hard line negotiator, which may be his one weakness as a GM. In comparison, Trent Baalke is not nearly the talent evaluator that Schneider is, but he tends to get plus-value when trading draft picks and negotiates very team-friendly extensions with low base salaries and lots of roster and performance bonuses.