Seahawks acquire Kelcie McCray from the Chiefs (S)

drdiags

Reaction score
The team didn't have much choice. Kam cost the team a 5th rounder. This guy is the best they could come up with but they gave up something similar last year for Burley, who doesn't impress me much. The secondary is going to be a work in progress and coach Richard cannot put that much time into just that unit so hopefully Seto's new guys are good at coaching Pete's vision.

Dang Kam. You hurt your non-player brothers with this hold-out. Hope it ends up worth the stance.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Stop panicking folks... we've got four compensatory picks coming to replace the picks we've already spent on trades.

northseahawk

Reaction score
trading is not an area of expertise for JS n Pete. They always get fleeced.

bigwrm

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2t57nf71 said:
Stop panicking folks... we've got four compensatory picks coming to replace the picks we've already spent on trades.

I think we're projected to have 3 comp picks next year, but that's not the point. The difference between a 5th or a 7th isn't going to make or break the team, but giving up a 5th seems unnecessarily steep for someone many were expecting to be cut outright.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
You gotta give something to get something. If you think we overpaid be mad a Kam. He's the selfish one that is screwing the season for the fans and his teammates.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1h7ois6p said:
You gotta give something to get something. If you think we overpaid be mad a Kam. He's the selfish one that is screwing the season for the fans and his teammates.

+1

A 5th round pick is not that big of a deal. For every Chancellor or Sherman you get three Mark Legrees or Owen Schmitts.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
sounds like a journeyman ss...guess there is not much out there they can afford to pay anyway..unless they trade Kam

checkdanews

Reaction score
Mannnnn I've been defending kam all offseason, but I'm now starting to get annoyed....if he isn't back by the trade deadline, we need to trade him to w.e is the worst team at that time for a good early draft pick, and so he gets to win 5-6 games tops a season for the next few years.

I don't think this has much to do with jam tho, maybe a lane ST replacement?

kearly

Reaction score
Terrell made the roster as the backup FS, and he had some awful looking plays this preseason. I think this trade might have happened even if Kam were here, assuming that McCray can handle FS duties.

For as good as Seattle has been at finding Earl and Kam in 2010, their track record with safeties has been mediocre at best since then. We've dodged a bullet on a account of Earl and Kam staying healthy and almost never missing games.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kearly":24ut6js9 said:
Terrell made the roster as the backup FS, and he had some awful looking plays this preseason. I think this trade might have happened even if Kam were here, assuming that McCray can handle FS duties.

For as good as Seattle has been at finding Earl and Kam in 2010, their track record with safeties has been mediocre at best since then. We've dodged a bullet on a account of Earl and Kam staying healthy and almost never missing games.

Mediocre? Ron Parker, Jeron Johnson, and Chris Maragos were all pretty good safeties who went on to other teams. And shead looks like he might be a pretty good depth player as well. I think they have done pretty well in that area.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I agree with those that think a fifth is too much. I have long felt that Schneider isn't the best at negotiating deals with a draft comp component. We usually give up a lot or get back very little in these types of deals.

To me, I think this is probably the first real tangible impact of the Kam holdout, even it the guy profiles more as a FS. I'm guessing he could play the other spot, if necessary.

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":13xfi0no said:
A FIFTH?! That seems crazy high to me

Such is the hidden price of having a low waiver priority.

It was kind of annoying to give the Lions a 6th round pick for Seisay, a guy that the Lions were very likely to cut. But the Hawks basically had to, because Seattle is 31st on waiver priority. The fact that they offered a 6th strongly hints that someone else offered a 7th. I suspect it was the same thing here for McCray.

I'm not saying that this trade will pan out, but Seattle has a pretty good track record when going through other team's garbage. They used that process to get difference makers like Raheem Brock, Brandon Stokely, O'Brien Schofield, Mike-Rob, Will Tukuafu, Tony Mokeaki, etc. Granted, none of those guys involved losing a pick, but it's basically the same process.

kobebryant

Reaction score
northseahawk":vnu042so said:

Always. The absolutely got "fleeced" getting Marshawn Lynch, Leon Washington, Chris Clemons, getting KJ Wright with the pick acquired for Deion Branch, getting Byron Maxwell with the pick acquired for Lawrence Jackson, getting JR Sweezy and Tharold Simon in the Aaron Curry trade.

:sarcasm_off:

kearly

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3k52ezs6 said:
Mediocre? Ron Parker, Jeron Johnson, and Chris Maragos were all pretty good safeties who went on to other teams. And shead looks like he might be a pretty good depth player as well. I think they have done pretty well in that area.

Parker has turned into a good player, but he was let go 5 times before reaching that level. He was let go three times by the Seahawks alone.

Jeron Johnson was rock solid, but it's worth noting that Seattle let him walk for close to the vet minimum.

Maragos sucked, IMO. He looked scared out there.

Shead has been pretty bad at safety. He looks solid at corner.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
checkdanews":7nm2n9rp said:
Mannnnn I've been defending kam all offseason, but I'm now starting to get annoyed....if he isn't back by the trade deadline, we need to trade him to w.e is the worst team at that time for a good early draft pick, and so he gets to win 5-6 games tops a season for the next few years.

I don't think this has much to do with jam tho, maybe a lane ST replacement?
Don't be mad just because he's making a stance. What stance that is I have no idea but whatever.

He can rot for all I care at this point. He will be stupid and sit out the entire season and he will be traded next year. Just relax and accept it because it helps your stress levels immensely trust me.

King Dog

Reaction score
kobebryant":txw4rihh said:
northseahawk":txw4rihh said:

Always. The absolutely got "fleeced" getting Marshawn Lynch, Leon Washington, Chris Clemons, getting KJ Wright with the pick acquired for Deion Branch, getting Byron Maxwell with the pick acquired for Lawrence Jackson, getting JR Sweezy and Tharold Simon in the Aaron Curry trade.

Wow. Those were a while ago. Looks like we're getting worse evaluating trades for sure.

kobebryant

Reaction score
King Dog":2jkv8kwd said:
kobebryant":2jkv8kwd said:
northseahawk":2jkv8kwd said:

Wow. Those were a while ago. Looks like we're getting worse evaluating trades for sure.

Jury is still out on the Jimmy and Lockett trades.

Sac

Reaction score
King Dog":xz43hfzj said:
kobebryant":xz43hfzj said:
northseahawk":xz43hfzj said:

Maybe it just looks that way because earlier in the PC/JS regime the roster wasn't set. Now? We've got highly talented starters entrenched practically everywhere. Seriously, do you realize how hard it is for an incoming rookie, or traded for player to stand out on this team?

Be realistic.