Saturday, 9/7 Football thread.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I think the game passed Mack Brown by about 5 years ago. He's another one, like Lane Kiffin, that I hope keeps his job for a long time.

But I can't imagine the Texas program putting up with much more of this.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Cracked 480. Crazy! They are going to hit 500 I hope (hopefully I didn't just jinx them). The last time I saw BYU run like this was when they had 2 NFL running backs in the backfield in Ronnie Jenkins and Brian McKenzie and put up massive yards against Utah and realized they didn't even need to pass to win. I think they need one big defensive stop and another march and Texas will fold. It's crazy that they are only up 19 right now and it is still a very winnable/losable ballgame.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Texas bringing their own officiating crew is funny. That 4th down spot was a joke. Review was a joke. Van Noy crushes the QB and a full 5 seconds AFTER the play the ref calls a holding on the defense and automatic first. Hilarious.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
USC just exhibited the rule of Charlie Frye.

If you do not trust your quarterback to run your offense during the normal flow of the game, cutting him loose in the last two minutes of the half or game will blow up in your face hilariously.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
seahawk2k":1xltsf30 said:

If you do not trust your quarterback to run your offense during the normal flow of the game, cutting him loose in the last two minutes of the half or game will blow up in your face hilariously.

Maybe i'm just a homer but it seems like Joey Harrington is doing a great job as the play by play guy in this game. Thoughts? He was in the studio last year, I think this is his first game in the booth.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
He's doing a real good job. Very natural. Still think he looks like a douchebag, but he's calling a good game. Making up for the standard mistakes that Craig Bolerjack has been making for twenty years.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Wazzu should be spanking SC but both teams cougin' it. Trojan fans started booing Kiffin and team in the 1st qtr. What a time to not have them scheduled.

The big question for today: who would you rather have with our 2014 1st rd pick....Clowney or Lee?

At the rate they're going...they both may be available.

HawkWow

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2kccu2x5 said:
seahawk2k":2kccu2x5 said:

Maybe i'm just a homer but it seems like Joey Harrington is doing a great job as the play by play guy in this game. Thoughts? He was in the studio last year, I think this is his first game in the booth.

I think Harrington is doing an excellent job. Very listenable.

But that all changes with just one more reference to his time spent in Detroit. "4 years"? I woulda' guessed half that.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
HawkWow":34yi710a said:
I think Harrington is doing an excellent job. Very listenable.

But that all changes with just one more reference to his time spent in Detroit. "4 years"? I woulda' guessed half that.

I've only noticed him mention Detroit twice and both times it was to point out things that he did wrong and compare them to the QBs in this game. I thought they were pretty good observations.

Loving the Boo's for the home teams offense in this game.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Harrington has some Kurt Herbstreit in him. Perfect for college games, IMO. He's naturally going to mention his career...as well he should. But I'd sooner he reference his time at OU than Detroit. All good. He's probably been the highlight of the game. The Musburgers, as much as I've enjoyed him (them), are dated and it's time to move to a younger set.

davidonmi

Reaction score
My observations from week 2\
USC's QB is awful, they are going to struggle to score all season
Florida looked really bad, pretty much gave the game to the Canes
Oregon was dominant, what else is new
Georgia, as I predicted bounced back and finally got over the hump vs SCU. Gurley is the real deal
ND's defense fell off a cliff, I could've never thought this would happen. I was wrong on this pick, outside of that 1 bonehead play Gardner looked like the real deal.
Same texas from the last few years, texas and USC will both be looking for coaches this offseason

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I figure Texas will be looking for a coach, but I have assumed it will be their defensive coordinator, but after today? Yikes. I don't think he'll be getting a head coaching job any time soon. Texas will obviously scour mid-majors that are really good and find the guy who is on the outside looking in and back the truck up. That of course means that guys in the MWC, MAC, etc. will be getting scouted as coaches very closely throughout the next few weeks.

Then you'll have the re-tread coaches getting looks, and then coordinators who have been somewhere forever that deserve a job (like the Jimbo Fisher types).

I'd not be surprised though if the Texas boosters push hard for Applewhite. Why? Because they love that guy for some reason, but so far I think he's been a pretty poor coach overall, but they can't gush enough about him. I think it would be funny if they hired him though.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Looks like Mack Brown found his fall guy.

@slmandel 1m
Wow. RT @ChipBrownOB Mack Brown has fired Manny Diaz as defensive coordinator, one day after Texas gave up 550 yds rushing to BYU.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Manny Diaz is actually a good coach, when you give up 550 yards on the ground thats a systemic lack of toughness that comes from the head coach, its not really scheme. But Mack Brown would throw his own mother under the bus to keep his job.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Manny Diaz was who I assumed would be taking over as head coach in the next year for a seemingly out of touch and washed up Mack Brown. Now he's out of a job entirely. It is strange... the media said over and over last night, "Texas ALLOWS BYU to rush for 500+". Nobody can give the underdog opponent any credit anymore it seems. How about, "BYU rushed for 500+ and overwhelmed Texas"?