Ryan Lindley: An NFL Game Rewind breakdown

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Out of sheer boredom tonight, decided to fire up the ol' NFL Game Rewind to see if I couldn't get a feel for this unknown 6th round QB and former camp fodder for the now 11-3 Arizona Cardinals, and the one team standing in our path for hosting the NFC Playoffs in Seattle for a second consecutive year.

First things first.. I wanted to brush up on the scouting report of him entering the draft. As a proud alum of a Mountain West Conference school.. I vaguely remember seeing Lindley play in his final two seasons at San Diego State, and actually thought he had some sleeper potential in the later stages of the draft.. not necessarily as a starter, but as a nice option at backup.

The scouting report (not to jump ahead of myself here) .. is pretty damn accurate in regards to Lindley, and you immediately see it when you watch the limited action he has seen thus far..

Strengths: Lindley is experienced as a four-year starter at SDSU. He has played in a pro-style offense. Has plus arm strength and ton of upside from a physical standpoint. He shows solid leadership and is a tough and durable veteran.

Weaknesses: Lindley struggles with accuracy which is mostly caused by poor mechanics. His footwork leaves a lot to be desired. His decision-making is not that of a four-year starter in a pro-style offense. He has a tendency to lock onto receivers and miss open guys and fails to move safeties. His low completion percentage is a major concern as an NFL QB.

Bottom Line: Lindley is another developmental prospect that needs a ton of work on his mechanics. His arm strength very good and he moves enough to escape the rush. Lindley could be long-term option for a team that is looking to groom a young guy under a veteran presence.

Draft Projection: Lindley has some skills to be a player in the NFL but putting all of them together is a long term project. He’s a late 5th, early 6th round prospect.

I watched the following games .. and only passing plays, because I don't really care how he hands the ball off.

2012 - vs. St. Louis, his first ever pro start (31/52, 312 yards, 4 INT)
2012 - at New York Jets, start #2 (10/31, 72 yards, INT) (as an aside.. this may have been the worst game ever)
2012 - vs. Chicago, start #4 (17/30, 141 yards, INT .. eventually benched for Brian Hoyer)
2014 - at St. Louis (4/10, 30 yards)

Lindley started off showing some real promise in his first start, leading a very nice touchdown drive against the Rams .. then having their defensive coached by Dave McGinnis and not the suspended Gregg Williams.. but the bottom immediately falls out as the game goes on. He would throw 4 picks on the day, all of them terrible.. and two of them returned to the house by Janoris Jenkins (remember that name, he will resurface a bit later).

The second start.. my god. The Cardinals would go 0 for 15 on 3rd down against the Jets that day. Greg McElroy would lead the Jets to a thrilling 7-6 victory.. and Lindley was PUTRID this day. The Jets defense played well, but Lindley flat missed throw, after throw, after throw, after throw. Any other decent QB that day probably has pretty good success and wins going away considering the opposition. Really.. I hate myself for even watching the Cardinals drives on this day. And I wanted to give Larry Fitzgerald a hug or something.

Finally I finished watching his 2nd half against the Rams, because after all.. he's playing under a new coaching staff now with slightly better talent around him offensively .. at least at WR. It could be argued in 2012, the Cardinals running game was a bit better with Beanie Wells.. though with their anemic passing game with whatever they were trotting out there.. it's hard to say entirely.

What I gathered from all four of these games, is Lindley definitely has a killer arm. He can flat let it fly. You can see why Arians would be moderately interested in having him back on the roster for this very reason, as he loves the QB's with a big arm to take deep shots down the field.

Really though.. that's where the positives abruptly end. Lindley has awful footwork. And it's not just awful when he's under duress either. There were many times where even in a clean pocket, he would throw off his back foot and miss by a mile. Because of his terrible footwork, as one can expect, most of the time he's missing these passes high. That bodes very well if you're a Seahawks fan, and if you're Cardinal superfan 'ringless' .. well.. not as much.

There were constants in the games from 2012 and his one half of play so far this year. You see his accuracy issues in all 4 of these games, and even in the one start he won against Detroit (a game Matt Stafford threw 2 pick sixes and Lindley did relatively nothing in a 38-10 win).

Another interesting thing of note.. Lindley was only sacked 12 times in 2012, and went unscathed against the blitz happy Gregg Williams a week and change ago. Why this is important to jot down is.. unlike a lot of QB's that are happy to just eat the pressure and live another down, Lindley will force throws if he feels pressure. And happy feet soon follows. Again... leading back to shoddy footwork that will haunt him even with no pressure.

The only real time Lindley had consistent success was on quick hitters to his tight end, or screen passes to his WR's. Against the Rams most recently, Arians would have him take some shots down field.. but he missed on every attempt.. one of them should have been picked successfully by Janoris Jenkins (hi 2012) who let the ball hit the ground.. another was nearly tipped and picked in the end zone a few drives later. Of his 4 completions on the night, only ONE was not a quick throw/screen from the shotgun.. and that would be a 12 yard completion on 3rd and 6. Williams of course blitzed 7 on the play.. for.. God only knows why.

Lindley will struggle reading the Cover 1/Cover 3 .. and if we continue to get a steady pass rush with just 4 and 5 guys.. I see no reason why we can't force him into some really bad decisions resulting in turnovers.. or at the least.. errant throws to lead to punts.

And if he decides to take deep shots down field.. we all know how that usually goes.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Thanks for the work. Good stuff.

I Hope Araisn is being honest about letting it fly, but I can't see how he would really do that, considering what you just wrote.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Wow those numbers are worse than I thought. I see lots of screen passes coming our way on Sunday.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Nice write up, appreciate the work. I'm getting to the point that as long as we do not shoot ourselves in the balls,,,,this will be a convincing win. I can see them keeping us under 20 pts but just cannot see Arizona getting more than a fifty yard drive on us.

Only way they score is on a turnover and or STs and even then I still say we win.

kearly

Reaction score
Very strong arm, lots of starting experience in college in a mid-level division I conference. Good size. Brutally sucked at everything else. Projected 6th rounder. That was Mike Teel's scouting report as well.

Good stuff Hasselbeck.

mikeak

Reaction score
Thanks!

He might come out and complete a few passes on the plays they have lined up to start the game. I expect goodnight after that with a few picks in second half.

We might just win this by scoring a few FGs which will drive everyone nuts :)

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Thanks for this. The only way Cards win this is via turnovers from their defense and/or special teams. Arians will know this and try to win that way by kicking FGs on subsequent short fields. Problem is, our team doesn't turn it over much. Eventually he's gong to be behind by more than one score with time getting tight and his only option will be to let this guy air it out a bit. Game over.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Why the hell was he allowed or told to pass the ball 52 times in his very first NFL start? That would be horrifying to me if I were a fan of his. And airing it out? With accuracy issues, that's just asking for trouble. Win or lose on Sunday, this kid is toast.

ringless

Reaction score
I wouldn't call myself a Super Fan, I am pretty reasonable in my expectations. I think I've expected us to lose 6 games in my weekly predictions so far, maybe 7.

I do appreciate the write up, and I rewatched the Rams game when he played and of course saw the inaccuracy as well. But in regards to his footwork, even when he had a clean pocket he did this weird studded step thing before throwing and I really feel that contributes a lot to bad timing, and bad throws... It's almost as if he doubts what he is seeing, or wants to make sure and takes these two to three little baby steps before throwing it and it throws everything off

brimsalabim

Reaction score
What about Logan Thomas? Isn't there a chance we face him instead?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2dkzqci0 said:
brimsalabim":2dkzqci0 said:

The general consensus is that Thomas is even more raw than Lindley, hence Arians going with Lindley and just talking about putting a package in for Thomas.
Which IMO will be an all running, read option type of package.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Great work, and very interesting. I hope you're right and that we can put pressure on him and force some big turnovers.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3jbj6bpi said:

Based off of what I saw of him at Virginia Tech.. well.. let's just say there is a reason Arians is going with Lindley.

That in and of itself speaks volumes.. more so about Logan Thomas than anything.

They're both very bad quarterbacks in other words.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ringless":36ull2wf said:
I do appreciate the write up, and I rewatched the Rams game when he played and of course saw the inaccuracy as well. But in regards to his footwork, even when he had a clean pocket he did this weird studded step thing before throwing and I really feel that contributes a lot to bad timing, and bad throws... It's almost as if he doubts what he is seeing, or wants to make sure and takes these two to three little baby steps before throwing it and it throws everything off

If it were a one time thing.. I could attribute it to nerves mainly. Cause I'm sure he never expected to set foot in that game against St. Louis.. especially because he wasn't even listed as the #2 QB going into it.

But you see it in the games he started in 2012 too. And I know it's a different coaching staff, different personnel.. all that. But we are looking at raw attributes here that he would have in Arizona or anywhere else. And mechanically.. he's not right. Cannon of an arm, but the footwork is a mess. His progressions are a mess. His accuracy is all over the place.

You see the arm on film.. his throws pop. But this is the last defense in the league you want the other problems against.

Arians is a great coach, but even this is a major challenge for him. It will take an otherworldly performance by your defense and special teams to pull off this upset IMO.

Latest posts