Ryan Clark: Russell Wilson ‘not an all-time great QB’

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's absolutely wrong. Still some work to do to go down as one of the best ever. Clark wanted attention, we gave it to him. He literally said that Russ isn't someone who can change the game and take over. You can't take someone serious who says stuff like that. But I'm just a Russ homer so...........
It doesn't matter one bit what he thinks. Time will tell, but he will likely go down as an all time great, and a HOF.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Ryan Clark has been getting coached up to the Stephen A of football coverage for ESPN. The dude is just a hot-take artist.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
He's a talking head doing talking head things. Russ is a legend. But he knows that so he's good.

John63

Reaction score
He is wrong. The stats prove it, and facts prove it. But mo importantly the one thing a lot leaves out is trailbalzing. An all-time great can be considered so because of being a trailblazer. Wilson is adding that to all the stats and facts and of course, he is.

Of course, it would be nice to know what his criteria is for all-time great.

IF his criteria are Multiple MVPs, all pros, multiple TDs, and HOF then no but then again few would.

If his criteria are an SB, pro bowls, setting records, winning, being in the to yea rin and year out, and trailblazing then yes.

So what is his crieria?

rcaido

Reaction score
Pretty sure Ryan Clark's criteria is the following...

Is he tall enough? No
Is he black enough? No No No

I wouldn't be surprise if he has Scam Newton& Lamar Jackson higher up then Russ.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Depends what you consider an all time great.

Russ is certainly a HOF player, but in there could certainly be a debate if he’s top 5 all time.

Rat

Reaction score
Throwdown":12cm5aiv said:
Depends what you consider an all time great.

Russ is certainly a HOF player, but in there could certainly be a debate if he’s top 5 all time.

This is what I was going to say. If your definition of "all-time great" means Hall of Famer, yeah, he's in that. If you're comparing him to Brady, Manning, Marino, Montana, Young, etc, no he's not there, at least not yet.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Kind of a subjective question. "all time great?"

What does that even mean. Will Russell be a top 10 QB when he's done playing? Statistically he should be.

So yeah, that should qualify him as an all time great.

Would I personally put him on the same level as guys like Peyton, Brady, Montana? No, but that's rarified air of QB's for me. But again, your definition has to be more concrete than a nebulous phrase like "all time great."

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good points ^
He still has a long way to go, but 10 years in, he's on his way. But all time great? Debatable. IF by all time great, they mean like top 5. Come on, way too early to go there. Yet.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
A lot of people will point at RW's main accomplishment as a SB win and 2 NFCCG appearances, because lets face it outside of completion percentage his passing stats don't exactly rival other "All-time great QB"s.

The issue is you have people like Joe Flacco who have been to 3 conference championships and also won a superbowl.

RW unlike Flacco had the LOB which is slowly over time being considered one of the top 3 defenses of all time in the NFL. Top 2 even, maybe even the best. RW also had Marshawn Lynch who if not running during the same time as Adrian Peterson would have been considered the best in the NFL at that time.

Since Marshawn and the LOB have left the Seahawks, RW has accomplished no MVPs (he'll find himself in the conversation and then completely destroy himself from any conversation within 2 games towards the end of the season). And we all have seen how the Seahawks have fared in the playoffs since.

Yes, the NFL is the ultimate team game, but given what RW had on his team during his biggest accomplishments and given his lack of "All-Time Great QB" success since the LOB and Beast Mode were no longer on the team. Yeah RW is perhaps just a GOOD QB with perhaps the most dangerous long ball in football, but does not have enough all around QB prowess to be considered an "all-time great".

If RW can get an MVP and/or win another SB or even just get to an NFCCG but completely on RW's Arm/legs not requiring some top 3 defense and RB....before his career ends, he can prove otherwise, but if his careers ends with more of the same. Ryan Clark is right.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just last week, Clark said that Russ has been carrying the team since the LOB. They just played it on 710.
Hilarious. Make up your mind, son.

Throwdown

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3p91wxgx said:
Just last week, Clark said that Russ has been carrying the team since the LOB. They just played it on 710.
Hilarious. Make up your mind, son.

Carrying the team to early playoff exits does not equate to being in the conversation with Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Elway, and Montana tho.

rcaido

Reaction score
ZagHawk":3mx8lfl7 said:
A lot of people will point at RW's main accomplishment as a SB win and 2 NFCCG appearances, because lets face it outside of completion percentage his passing stats don't exactly rival other "All-time great QB"s.

What makes you think Wilson stats dont compare to the all time great QBs?

Wilson in his first 10 years pretty much has better stats then Elway & Montana whole career.

What are the important stats for QBs? Accuracy, Yrds, Tds, Int, & Passer Rating

Russell Wilson 292 TD/ 37,059yds/ 87 INT / 101.8 Rating

Other All time great QB first 10 seasons

Manning 306 TD/ 64.2% / 41,626 YDS/ 153 INT/ 94.7 Rating
Brady 225 TD/63/3%/ 30,844 YDS/ 99 INT/ 93.3 Rating
Marino 290 TD/ 59.2% / 39,502 YDS/ 165 INT/ 87.8 Rating
Rogers 226 TD/ 65.8% / 28,578 YDS/ 57 INT / 106 Rating
Brees 235 TD/ 65.2% / 35,266 YDS / 132 INT / 91.7 Rating

We are not even factoring Wilson's rushing stats which destroyed probably all these QBs combined.

*edit*

I forgot wins

Wilson 104wins
Manning 105 wins
Brady 97 wins
Marino 93 wins
Rogers
Brees 79 wins
Montana 84 Wins
Elway 89 Wins

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2emvfpl9 said:

The issue is you have people like Joe Flacco who have been to 3 conference championships and also won a superbowl.

RW unlike Flacco had the LOB which is slowly over time being considered one of the top 3 defenses of all time in the NFL. Top 2 even, maybe even the best. RW also had Marshawn Lynch who if not running during the same time as Adrian Peterson would have been considered the best in the NFL at that time.

Since Marshawn and the LOB have left the Seahawks, RW has accomplished no MVPs (he'll find himself in the conversation and then completely destroy himself from any conversation within 2 games towards the end of the season). And we all have seen how the Seahawks have fared in the playoffs since.

Yes, the NFL is the ultimate team game, but given what RW had on his team during his biggest accomplishments and given his lack of "All-Time Great QB" success since the LOB and Beast Mode were no longer on the team. Yeah RW is perhaps just a GOOD QB with perhaps the most dangerous long ball in football, but does not have enough all around QB prowess to be considered an "all-time great".

If RW can get an MVP and/or win another SB or even just get to an NFCCG but completely on RW's Arm/legs not requiring some top 3 defense and RB....before his career ends, he can prove otherwise, but if his careers ends with more of the same. Ryan Clark is right.
Well put. The other problem he potentially has is a new crop that if they all get at least 1 SB, are gonna make his numbers look average. All these QBs won't get in the HOF this close together. These new guys are gonna have MVPs and all pros that Russell won't unless they get hurt. I think he needs 5 more really strong years to get in.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not my point at all Throwdown. I'm talking about Clark and his back and forth crap.
And it's only on Russ that they have had playoff losses since the SB? Come on. Team game.
PLENTY of reasons for their lack of success since 49.

Take a look at the stats that Rcaido threw up.
He also has won more than any QB in history over his first 10 seasons.
Those numbers literally ARE as good as just about any QB in history over the first 10 seasons.
And NO, I'm not saying he's an all time great, but he very could end up being an all timer.
How can anyone look at those stats and not see how damn good he has been??????

But let me guess, it's because of the Running game and Defense......... :? :irishdrinkers:

Throwdown

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1k2qowz6 said:
Not my point at all Throwdown. I'm talking about Clark and his back and forth crap.
And it's only on Russ that they have had playoff losses since the SB? Come on. Team game.
PLENTY of reasons for their lack of success since 49.

Take a look at the stats that Rcaido threw up.
He also has won more than any QB in history over his first 10 seasons.
Those numbers literally ARE as good as just about any QB in history over the first 10 seasons.
And NO, I'm not saying he's an all time great, but he very could end up being an all timer.
How can anyone look at those stats and not see how damn good he has been??????

But let me guess, it's because of the Running game and Defense......... :? :irishdrinkers:

No one’s saying he hasn’t been good?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
More time is spent downplaying his success than most QB's we have ever seen.
Doesn't matter, he's by far the best this team has ever had, and he's far from being done.
And I suspect he will get better before he's done. And we need him to. He has plenty of flaws in his game that need work. Just like most QB's. Even the perfect Rodgers and Mahomes has their weaknesses.

Throwdown

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2p4au2jn said:
More time is spent downplaying his success than most QB's we have ever seen.
Doesn't matter, he's by far the best this team has ever had, and he's far from being done.
And I suspect he will get better before he's done. And we need him to. He has plenty of flaws in his game that need work. Just like most QB's. Even the perfect Rodgers and Mahomes has their weaknesses.

I don’t doubt that he’s still a good qb, I personally just think whether it’s ego or something else he doesn’t realize he’s best when we’re whooping someone’s ass on the ground. If he continues to think that he needs to be pass first with the limits he has (and they’re there) then he should go look at his options and we should honor the wishes. I don’t like these rumors around the guy, they hurt us. I don’t like the constant throwing of team mates under the bus (particularly the oline) when he does nothing to make their job any easier, you can watch back for the last few years of Duane Brown getting irate with him. I hope this off-season instead of corny ass hype videos he’s working on his pocket awareness, sick of him bailing out way too early and then missing a wide open DK.