Russell Wilson is the best QB in the NFL. Period.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
As a self-professed Russell Wilson groupie, it's easy for me to tout the strengths and abilities this man brings to the table. I could write a 10,000 word essay on why I think Russell Effin Wilson should already sit and pose for his bronze statue that will ultimately reside in Canton, Ohio (which, by the way, for those of you not paying attention, this is going to happen one day), but instead I will tell you why Cam Newton will win the MVP.

Cam, first of all, has had a MVP-worthy season. His stats will back that up. But more importantly, he's done it without any real stars around him. I can respect that.

But MOST importantly, the NFL worships athletic specimens. They covet QB's that tower over their teammates. With the height of an NBA player and the weight of a bruising full back it's pretty much a done deal if they have the stats to back up their impressive stature.

The only way the 5 foot 11 inch (and that's being slightly kind) Russell Wilson will ever win MVP is if his stats outweigh his stature SIGNIFICANTLY.

It's completely sad, but completely true.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Aros":1l9sjs8z said:
...instead I will tell you why Cam Newton will win the MVP.
Cam, first of all, has had a MVP-worthy season. His stats will back that up.
But MOST importantly, the NFL worships athletic specimens. They covet QB's that tower over their teammates. With the height of an NBA player and the weight of a bruising full back it's pretty much a done deal if they have the stats to back up their impressive stature.

The only way the 5 foot 11 inch (and that's being slightly kind) Russell Wilson will ever win MVP is if his stats outweigh his stature SIGNIFICANTLY.

It's completely sad, but completely true.

A different version...

But MOST importantly, the NFL worships WINS. They covet QB's that WIN and lead their teammates. With the wins of a near perfect season and a few 4th Quarter Combacks it's pretty much a done deal if they also have numerous Game-Winning Drives to back up their impressive win total.

The only way the a QB with 6 losses(and that's being slightly kind) will ever win MVP over a QB with 1 loss is if his stats overshadown his competition SIGNIFICANTLY.

It's completely sad, but completely true, that Cam had 3 4th quarter comebacks this season, to Russell Wilson's 2.
The worst part is that one of Cam's 3 comebacks came in a road game against Russell Wilson.

Don't get me wrong, Russell is playing at an MVP level *right now*, and at the moment, is playing at a level above Cam*, +/- week to week OL issues. For the season-long body of work, Cam is very deserving of the MVP award.

* And also above every other QB ever in the history of the game for the 24 TD to 1 Pick stat over the last 7 games.

Vesuve

Reaction score
JPatera76":2tvj8hr9 said:
I agree... But the media and east coast think Newton is now the best thing there is to play in the nfl... Lol

Yeah, I noticed. Typical.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Cam is surrounded by 5 pro bowlers on O, not including himself.

RW is srurrounded by 0 (Although Baldwin was deserving ended up on as an alternate)

Even Seahawk fans fall for the narrative.

themunn

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with Newton winning MVP - he did just enough to help his team win in the first half of the season (whereas Wilson fell just short, even if their stats were fairly similar to each other's), and while Wilson went on a magnificent tear for 7 games throwing 24 TDs, 1 INT and rushing for another alongside, Newton also went on a great stretch for 9 games to close out the season; also throwing for 24 TDs, rushing for another 6, and throwing just 2 interceptions.

Not sure what more you can ask from the quarterback of a 15-1 team.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
They ended up with about the same numbers but the big difference is that Cam was way more consistent. He was great from start to finish, while Russ was just good in the first half of the season and only became amazing in the second half.

MVPs, Pro Bowls, All-Pro nods and even the HOF are great for a player to get and I love it when a Seahawk gets awards but the most important award is still that Superbowl trophy. I think nearly all players would rather have 1-2 Pro Bowls and a couple of rings instead of 0 rings and 10 Pro Bowls.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
Both can be MVP...

Cam for the season, Russ for the Super Bowl.

Threedee

Reaction score
One thing impressive about Wilson , today, is that some of his better statistical performances had come in loses, like @ATL (2012) and @ STL (2014, 2015). Recently, however, we have seen that when he's throwing 5 TDs in a game, it becomes impossible for the Hawks to blow the game.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
I would not take any other QB in the HISTORY of the game because he is OUR SB winning QB! And to think that Pete was the ONE coach with the balls to start a rookie over a 'prized' free agent QB acquisition. Who knows where Russ would be if he ended up on the Jets or Eagles?

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
olyfan63":lobeunns said:
A different version...

But MOST importantly, the NFL worships WINS. They covet QB's that WIN and lead their teammates. With the wins of a near perfect season and a few 4th Quarter Combacks it's pretty much a done deal if they also have numerous Game-Winning Drives to back up their impressive win total.

The only way the a QB with 6 losses(and that's being slightly kind) will ever win MVP over a QB with 1 loss is if his stats overshadown his competition SIGNIFICANTLY.

It's completely sad, but completely true, that Cam had 3 4th quarter comebacks this season, to Russell Wilson's 2.
The worst part is that one of Cam's 3 comebacks came in a road game against Russell Wilson.

Don't get me wrong, Russell is playing at an MVP level *right now*, and at the moment, is playing at a level above Cam*, +/- week to week OL issues. For the season-long body of work, Cam is very deserving of the MVP award.

* And also above every other QB ever in the history of the game for the 24 TD to 1 Pick stat over the last 7 games.

Well sure, but is performing at a level no other quarterback in the history of the game has ever done before really MVP material?

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
BadgerVid":23n0ysn0 said:
Both can be MVP...

Cam for the season, Russ for the Super Bowl.

Yup this is the better outcome, Adrian Peterson got MVP a few years ago only to lose their first playoff game, Aaron Rodgers got MVP last year and lost to the Hawks, Peyton Manning got his during their Superbowl run only to get curb stomp in that game by the Hawks. Give Cam the MVP, it's more fire for Wilson and the Hawks to not get any accolades to keep the boulder on their shoulder.

Rat

Reaction score
Who are these people in the media still bashing Russ for his measurables? I haven't seen that in years.

HawksHawksHawks

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2vkrcrvh said:
Rude awakening in a few weeks at Bank of America stadium in Charlotte.
I hope to be there in person.

There is a game against the Vikings still to be played. Let's focus on that one first maybe.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I've seen some backhanded comments from the commentators, might of been the Vikings game (where they mention that the vikings were out 3 players on defense or whatever), how Russ is on pace for history run but then goes on and talk about how bad the other teams are. I've shared my stats of other QBs that had their hot game streaks to show that other elite QBs also benefited from the other team's defensive weaknesses but Russ they straight out said it's mainly because of the defense of the team he was playing against.

panthers4life

Reaction score
olyfan63":3skzurxf said:
Aros":3skzurxf said:

Cam has had 24 touchdowns to 1 interception over the last 7. 25 for Wilson once you add his rushing score. (surprised he only had 1 rushing score all year frankly.) It's damn impressive play by both. Cam has 10 more total TD and five more wins on the year, but Wilson has been considerably more accurate and had a higher rating. I think both Cam and Russ have had stellar campaigns, especially considering hardships both had to fight through. Cam separated in the MVP race with a head to head win and a better record, for me that's what sways the votes.

At the end of the day though it doesn't matter. The Hawks are in the playoffs and they're as dangerous as any team. The superbowl MVP is out there for the taking and I guarantee Cam or Russ would trade a regular season MVP for that honor. It's very likely we get to see them play again in two weeks and I'm stoked for that. As far as I'm concerned Seattle is still the class of the NFC until someone else represents in the Superbowl.

Anthony!

Reaction score
panthers4life":17oclhih said:
olyfan63":17oclhih said:
Aros":17oclhih said:

Cam has had 24 touchdowns to 1 interception over the last 7. 25 for Wilson once you add his rushing score. (surprised he only had 1 rushing score all year frankly.) It's damn impressive play by both. Cam has 10 more total TD and five more wins on the year, but Wilson has been considerably more accurate and had a higher rating. I think both Cam and Russ have had stellar campaigns, especially considering hardships both had to fight through. Cam separated in the MVP race with a head to head win and a better record, for me that's what sways the votes.

At the end of the day though it doesn't matter. The Hawks are in the playoffs and they're as dangerous as any team. The superbowl MVP is out there for the taking and I guarantee Cam or Russ would trade a regular season MVP for that honor. It's very likely we get to see them play again in two weeks and I'm stoked for that. As far as I'm concerned Seattle is still the class of the NFC until someone else represents in the Superbowl.

Cam had 7 games with a QB rating below 80, 5 below 75, 3 below 70,1 below 60 did not even complete 60% of his passes,

Just to compare
Wilson had 1 game below 80,

Lets compare them
Cam qb rating 99.4, QBR 66.1, 3837 yards, 7.74 ypa, 59.8 complt%, 35 tds, 10 ints 3.5/1 td/int ratio, 636 rushing yards, 10 tds, 4.8 ypa rushing, 4473 total yards, 45 total tds
Wilson QB rating 110.1, QBR 74.9, 4024 yards, 8.33 ypa, 68.1 complt%, 34 tds, 8 ints, 4.25/1 td/int ratio, 553 rushing yards, 1 td, 5.4 ypa, 4577 total yards, 35 total tds

So lets see
Qb rating WILSON
QBR WILSON
Passing Yards WILSON
Passing YPA WILSON
Complt% WILSON
Passing TDS CAM
Ints WILSON
TD/INT Ratio WILSON
Rushing Yards CAM
Rushing TDs CAM
Rusign YPA WILSON
Total Yards WILSON
Total Tds CAM

So out of 13 stats Wilson Leads in 9 HMM

There is a difference between winning and playing well, Cam did not play well in all the games but he and his team did enough to win, Cam had a top 6 run game and defense, but unlike Wilson the last 3+ years he is not being penalized for it. Oh and a very very easy schedule

naholmes

Reaction score
It's really tough to compare Cam and Russ as they play with totally different styles and supporting casts. Russ is a great runner and more speed but Cam makes some amazing plays as a runner where he can just truck guys like he's Marshawn Lynch or something. Russ is much more accurate as a passer and Cam does still let passes sail high. It's a passing league so I would rather have Russ and believe he will have a longer career too; however I could see an argument for Cam.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Cam gets A LOT of qb sneak td's since he is so big. Wilson hands in the same situation to the RB. Even 5 yards under they will run Cam or Cam will call his own number. It's all about him.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Smellyman":3boe57n4 said:
Cam gets A LOT of qb sneak td's since he is so big. Wilson hands in the same situation to the RB. Even 5 yards under they will run Cam or Cam will call his own number. It's all about him.

Some people say this happens too much because he opens himself up to hits and some say it doesn't happen enough since he's such a weapon. I'll say this-it doesn't happen every time, or close to it. Exhibit A was the Titans game and the dance momma drama. Both Tolbert and Stewart had cracks at the 1 on the previous possession when they settled for a FG and Stewart had yet another crack at the 1 but was stuffed again before Cam Supermanned it in.

Latest posts