Russell Wilson is regressing - Article

Basis4day

Reaction score
HawkGA":3720gj30 said:
olyfan63":3720gj30 said:
I think Wilson's struggles this year just show how fine the line is between success and failure in the NFL, and especially for a quarterback. I believe the struggles to be a combination of many things.
10% - Russell's distractions over contracts, demands of a celebrity, and general focus challenges
40% - Poor and unpredictable O-Line play, from a half-baked O-line
10% - Familiarity and chemistry with receivers
10% - Marshawn Lynch not 100% for numerous games
30% - We've played very, very good teams, they've had better game plans for us, and been extra fired up
00% - Fire Bevell, he sucks. Except he sucks about the same as the previous 3 years.

If you look at these factors, we'll be fine once...
- Russell gets his full focus back (he's there now)
- The O-Line develops and sucks less, or at least sucks in ways Russell can predict and adjust for; it's slowly improving
- Russell gets the chemistry down better with Graham, Lockett, Richardson (already there with Baldwin and Kearse); he will soon.
- Lynch gets healthy enough to be a consistent factor; not holding my breath, and our rookie Rawls is doing nicely
- It does get a little easier from here out, but we've played down to other teams also
- Bevell isn't really the difference or the problem at this time, as much as he can suck; but if he improves he could be part of the solution.

Overall, the offense sucking is why we're 4-5. Our D is on the field way too much and gets worn down. A QB like Palmer with the terrific receivers he has, or Dalton and his receivers, can take advantage of a gassed Seahawks D.

Except Bevell doesn't seem to be doing anything to account for those other factors. He's not calling plays that succeed. Maybe that's because of an execution issue, but at the point your players can't execute the plays you are calling, you need to start calling other plays.

I remember a game where the I-formation worked well. And another where the two tight end, roll-out worked well. Yep, one game for each of those. Not 9 games, a total of 2. We also need to see more of a quick hit passing attack. Maybe Bevell is calling them and Wilson just isn't throwing them but I have my doubts. Come to think of it, I think we did see one game where that happened too. Yep, just one game.

But if Bevell is calling for more quick passes and Russell isn't pulling the trigger, that needs to be fixed and quickly. It shouldn't be difficult to tell the QB to throw the darn football. Maybe tell him it's okay if it's picked, but just throw the ball.

What plays work consistently on 1 and 25 or 3 and 15?

timmat

Reaction score
I wonder if what we've seen from Russell is what he is, and what he's going to be pretty much? A guy that can be very, very successful, a great leader, loaded with big-play capability, and can take over in short stretches. But, also a guy that first needs a strong running game to set up his passing success.

Maybe accepting what he is and working to his strengths (and more importantly his needs) would be better than trying to force WR toys like Harvin and Graham on him. With QBs like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers, they are successful even when everyone in the building knows a pass is coming. Russ kills folks when the D is kept off balance. Keep the focus as a run-first offense. Get 4 yds on every 1st down, then the other team doesn't know what's coming.

This is the recipe for Wilson's continued success, not expecting him to evolve a great deal IMO. Regardless of the $$ on his paycheck, I don't think it's going to change a great deal. He's off this year for sure, and for sure will evolve some more as a QB. But, I don't think the amount of evolution will be as much as people are expecting. He's a 4th year starter. By the 4th year, guys often are what they are. I feel like a lot of the time, people still treat him like he's a 1st or 2nd year starter with regards to an evolution yet to come. That might not be true.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":mje35ps0 said:
Every modern top QB has gone through a period of regression. I won't be gnashing teeth over Wilson's until its a multi-season concern.

Found this on the Carolina board, worth a read (although dated 2012)

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/board...cal-perspective-on-the-dreaded-qb-regression/

Cam's a great example for Russell.

Last year Panther's fans were saying the same thing about Cam, he's reached his potential wall, he's not the same dynamic player he was in 2013, etc.

So it's not surprising that when our defense stinks, our O-line stinks and our run game is a shell of it's usual dominating #1 in the league punishing self that Russell also looks bad.

Having said that, I do think all of Russell's off field shenanigans and distractions has ALSO contributed to his level of play. You can't tell me going from being hungry, prepared and in the film room 7 days a week at 5:00am and being the last one out of the building at night to flying off to Mexico and dressing up as Batman in Hollywood is a good thing.

Fanatics

Reaction score
It is harder for an OL to come together with a running QB. The facts are, runners believe they can get out of any situation so they hold the ball longer. Runners are harder to block for, as you never know where they are. The other thing that plagues Wilson is his height, it is harder to deliver the quick passes over the OL without size. So either he throws quick bubble screens or you have to let the play progress a bit which again puts pressure on your OL. I believe we are starting to see Wilson's limitations because our defense is not as dominate and Lynch is not as dominate, if that is truly the case then Wilson is not a franchise QB anyway.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kearly":3h6gggpw said:
Maybe Wilson is regressing but I wouldn't think that based on anything this article said.

Didn't the Seahawks have like 5 drops last night? I remember Graham having three. I think Wilson also had 5-6 throwaways due to lack of time.

I thought he played well other than a terrible deep throw that was picked. His near interception that came later might have also been bad, but it's hard to know if that one was more on Wilson or Graham.

I do think Wilson has regressed in the red zone, but between the 20s he looks the same to me as last year.

Defenses that we've faced so far this Year, are attacking our not ready for prime time Regressive O-Line making it pretty near impossible for us to establish any kind of rhythm, that would allow for RW to show any kind of positive growth.
This floundering around is not just on Tom Cable, it's on whoever decided that we had any room for that kind of experiment to be the base for our Offensive schematics.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Any growing up QB would regress if he has to worry about being hit. If he doesn't think about that, he will have time to learn how to make throws and start getting the rhythm in. I think we need to establish the run better for things to get better for him. His mental clock is messed up on when to release the ball and he does bail out early. Defenses have figured out his designed roll outs, they are daring him to throw the quick slants and short passes. They are not covering him on plays he is not making. I am hoping he gains confidence and starts playing with a purpose like before.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
Fanatics":e62g5agq said:
It is harder for an OL to come together with a running QB. The facts are, runners believe they can get out of any situation so they hold the ball longer. Runners are harder to block for, as you never know where they are. The other thing that plagues Wilson is his height, it is harder to deliver the quick passes over the OL without size. So either he throws quick bubble screens or you have to let the play progress a bit which again puts pressure on your OL. I believe we are starting to see Wilson's limitations because our defense is not as dominate and Lynch is not as dominate, if that is truly the case then Wilson is not a franchise QB anyway.

Runners may be harder to block for but you still have to block cleanly. You can't hold. 10yrds. The recurring question is what can you do on 1&20. Don't get there in the first place. Missed blocks are a reality. Fundamental blocks are as important than fundamental tackles because so many people do it every play.

It's better to have a 5 yard loss on a sack than 10 on a hold.

PI penalties. I think Sherm is staying too close to BB on Instagram.

Fanatics

Reaction score
NOLAHawk":2qzojoys said:
Fanatics":2qzojoys said:

Runners may be harder to block for but you still have to block cleanly. You can't hold. 10yrds. The recurring question is what can you do on 1&20. Don't get there in the first place. Missed blocks are a reality. Fundamental blocks are as important than fundamental tackles because so many people do it every play.

That is the point, the longer you have to maintain the block the harder it is. Also Wilson is rarely criticized for holding the ball so long, but the OL is ridiculed for not blocking for extended periods of time. Another point is Wilson is a small man and I am sure if you asked him and/or Pete whether you hold or allow a sack, they would say hold based solely on we are a better team with Wilson at QB then TJack.

mrt144

Reaction score
Fanatics":pnvozctg said:
NOLAHawk":pnvozctg said:
Fanatics":pnvozctg said:

That is the point, the longer you have to maintain the block the harder it is. Also Wilson is rarely criticized for holding the ball so long, but the OL is ridiculed for not blocking for extended periods of time. Another point is Wilson is a small man and I am sure if you asked him and/or Pete whether you hold or allow a sack, they would say hold based solely on we are a better team with Wilson at QB then TJack.

What color is the sky where you live? That is his single biggest criticism of actions he takes on the field. What other keen insights are you going to drop on us?

Latest posts