Russ strikes again???? Elway related.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
It is too early to dismiss RW as a top echelon QB. He has lucked into the perfect coach for him. I could always see him tearing up the NFL with New Orleans. He has a lot in common with Drew Brees. He has ALWAYS need lanes to see through. He should have them now.
Russell Wilson has nothing in common with Brees except for their height. The way that they approach the game is completely different.

D

DomeHawk

Russ needing "lanes" to see through wasn't the issue -- not seeing wide open receivers in his field of view was an issue. Not looking where he was supposed to look was another issue.

Unfortunately for Russ, he (and/or Team3) created the "Let Russ Cook!" narrative and framed it as a Pete vs. Russ thing. Then he went to Denver and got exposed. Now, the legitimate question in people's minds is, "Did Pete carry Russ?" Going to Denver and face-planting, when he was given everything he asked for, made him look like the problem. Hackett didn't help matters, but Hackett only served to distract from Russ's mistakes until Russ's mistakes were unavoidably obvious.

Now, if Sean Payton comes in and Russ does well again, how much credit does Russ actually get for that? One of the predominant narratives is going to be that Russ can't do squat unless he's got a HOF coach to keep him from shooting himself in the foot.
I don't believe that Pete carried Russ. Russ was two plays away from playing in the NC at Wisconsin. He's a great QB who will have more success in the future.

jeremiah

Reaction score
That's about as good a summary as I've ever read.
That is a valid argument. I would be shocked though, if Russ doesn't show up for camp leaner than his Rookie year. He was really, just too damn fat. Like The Round Mound of Rebound, to Charles Barkley superstar. Weight is a killer to a mans quickness as much as age is.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
It rained last night. Was that Wilson's fault too. This place is insane. Its like when everybody said Payton wouldnt sign because of Wilson. People need to stop already. Russ was the greatest QB the Seahawks have ever had. Your putting the blame on the wrong person.

Boycie

Reaction score
It is too early to dismiss RW as a top echelon QB. He has lucked into the perfect coach for him. I could always see him tearing up the NFL with New Orleans. He has a lot in common with Drew Brees. He has ALWAYS need lanes to see through. He should have them now.
Russ didn't step up in the pocket. He would just bail immediately and play sandlot ball.

Donn2390

Reaction score
It rained last night. Was that Wilson's fault too. This place is insane. Its like when everybody said Payton wouldnt sign because of Wilson. People need to stop already. Russ was the greatest QB the Seahawks have ever had. Your putting the blame on the wrong person.
If everyone on here was praising Russ to the heavens, you would be mad mouthing him to hell and back... The secret is out..

BlueTalon

Reaction score
That is a valid argument. I would be shocked though, if Russ doesn't show up for camp leaner than his Rookie year. He was really, just too damn fat. Like The Round Mound of Rebound, to Charles Barkley superstar. Weight is a killer to a mans quickness as much as age is.
I agree with you about weight and age, but I'll be shocked if Russ does show up for camp leaner than his rookie year. Or lean at all. I think he's had a taste of the lifestyle, and he just doesn't have the hunger any more (irony intended).

Rainger

Reaction score
I find it interesting that so many in here refer to Geno as old, when older and beaten to hell for 10 years Russell is never old and ready to take the NFL by storm since SP came on board.
Sean is a coach, not a miracle worker, he can't improve Russ's eyesight, he can't improve his old and give out legs, he can't improve his ability to hit his target even on those rare occasions he does spot an open man. He may improve, but never again will he attain even mediocre status. If he isn't really careful, he may be lugging a clipboard around.
I believe that ten years of sacks have taken their toll.. Time will tell I guess...
10 years of sacks that he was 80% responsible for!