Running Backs, personnel questions

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Tical21":2h2daggk said:
vin.couve12":2h2daggk said:
Tical21":2h2daggk said:
McKissick is a WR that wears a RB number and isn't a guy you would ever give more than a couple carries to. I also think he's a twitchier athlete than Gaskin. If you want to replace McKissick with Gaskin, whatever, sure. I'm in, I guess. But I don't want to replace Mike Davis with Gaskin.

Sankey is the same height and Gaskin and 20 lbs heavier. Not sure how that equates to being more slender.
Sankey wasn't 225 coming out. He tried putting on weight after his rookie year, but I'm not a college fan that follows players into the NFL. This ain't about college. And when I say body style, I'm not talking height and weight. It's leg lenth, how high the hips set, bubble, torso, etc and it makes an enormous difference when it comes to contact balance and cutting. I'd even try and get Bobbie Williams undrafted before I'd spend 1.5 on McKissic and I don't want to spend more than that on Davis when we already have a 1 and 2.

There are a lot of backs around 200 pounds (Gaskin is 205) that run 4.5s and 4.4s and that means not a lot for most. The ones that have vision and contact balance....that's where the difference is.
I'd bet you Sankey and Gaskin around their sophomore year, had almost identical bodies in every way. Both guys are walking around at about 170 if they weren't football players.

We already have 2, but I think because both have been unable to stay on the field consistently, and because we want badly to be the best running team in the league, we need 3. Davis' 4 YPC style keeps the chains moving for us if we need. He closed for Carson to win a game and can start for you if needed. I think he's good for a game, and we would regret it if we let him go.
No, not at all. You're thinking combine literal height, weight, etc stuff. Their body types are completely different. There are all sorts of ways you can take two guys who measure the same height and weight at the combine and you net an entirely different result of athlete depending on weight distribution through lower and upper body, where the hip sets in relation to the shoulders and feet, if the muscle is bubbled and knotted or elongated and streamlined, if their stride is short with a wide base and piston motion at a sprint, etc, etc, etc.

chris98251

Reaction score
Tical21":342gem38 said:
Gaskin bulked up for the combine, and probably runs closer to 4.5 flat if he hadn't. I can count on one hand in my life, guys who have been truly successful with his athletic profile. For every one successful, there's at least 99 that fit that profile that couldn't cut it in the league. I'm not talking in absolutes or making predictions, but the odds are insanely stacked against him.

For the same reason, I had zero doubt that Ronald Jones also would be a terrible draft pick. If you're going to be that small, you need to be really fast. Jamaal Charles, Philip Lindsay. Those are the guys that make it. Once Ronald Jones didn't run sub 4.4, he turned into a 6th rounder to me.

Naming any successful RB at 205 or under is difficult to do. Naming any that didn't run like sub 4.42 is almost impossible. You've got James White. You've got Justin Forsett You've kind of got Jacquizz Rodgers. JD McKissick is about the next best that I can remember. Literally everyone else just didn't have the athletic profile to play in the NFL.

Yeah why Russell Wilson can't make it also.

Any position you take is more then just what you measure, it's what they can't that separates greatness.

But take Lawrence Phillips, Tyrone Wheatley and others that measure really well all day long I guess or can't miss guys like Aaron Curry.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1105241175433216000[/tweet]

Good to see that Mike Davis is signed for 2019. Sorry to see he won't play for Seattle this year.

Latest posts