Running Backs, personnel questions

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
What do we all know about Bo Scarborough? Is this a player many of us have discounted? This guy is a big strong horse and demonstrated that at times for 'Bama.

He comes to us cheap and could just be the guy that shares the carries with Carson and Penny.

chris98251

Reaction score
jammerhawk":obfwakp0 said:
What do we all know about Bo Scarborough? Is this a player many of us have discounted? This guy is a big strong horse and demonstrated that at times for 'Bama.

He comes to us cheap and could just be the guy that shares the carries with Carson and Penny.

Everything we have seen says he needs a runway to get going.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He had a very high SPARQ rating of 134.5 and was a rookie who didn’t get much playing time and was not used heavily at Alabama.

Here along with much commentary are a few assessments of his combine results which show good explosiveness, wonder if his vision needs to be worked upon in term of him understanding his blocking so he can use the explosiveness to his advantage. He certainly looks to be strong as heck from his college performances.

Some Combine assessments:
https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/NF ... 15775605_1

Think the team must have had him on the radar and were likely only too happy to scoop him up after he was released by Dallas/Jax. He was sort of another free draft pick in a sense.

Am quite curious to see if he can show something in the competition for jobs in camp this offseason. If not, nothing ventured, but there some basis to me at least of some hope the team snagged a potential diamond in the rough. Time will tell.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Don't care if it sounds crazy, but Gaskin might be able to be had in the 4th or 5th and his contact balance is outstanding for an uber quick back and he's a guy who can break out at any time. I'd draft him late and have a pretty cheap backfield loaded with talent. Let Davis and McKissic leave and that saves you 3 mil at least between just those two while also providing an upgrade.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Tical21":2jex5p4a said:
Mike Davis is somewhat of a priority re-sign for me. With as often as we run, we need three, where most teams need two. Carson and Penny both were dinged numerous times, and it's great to have that third option that can truly carry the run game if needed. Also, Carson sometimes runs out of gas a bit, and we need those fresh legs to close out a game. I'm completely on the Penny train, but we need three.
Gaskin. Davis will probably cost just short of 2 mil. McKissic is probably 1.5 and if Gaskin can be gotten in the 5th then you've upgraded your 3rd down back position and cut cost at the same time.

Jville

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2f116okd said:
He had a very high SPARQ rating of 134.5 and was a rookie who didn’t get much playing time and was not used heavily at Alabama.

Here along with much commentary are a few assessments of his combine results which show good explosiveness, wonder if his vision needs to be worked upon in term of him understanding his blocking so he can use the explosiveness to his advantage. He certainly looks to be strong as heck from his college performances.

Some Combine assessments:
https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/NF ... 15775605_1

Think the team must have had him on the radar and were likely only too happy to scoop him up after he was released by Dallas/Jax. He was sort of another free draft pick in a sense.

Am quite curious to see if he can show something in the competition for jobs in camp this offseason. If not, nothing ventured, but there some basis to me at least of some hope the team snagged a potential diamond in the rough. Time will tell.

If Seattle continues to pursue power blocking and if they like patience to allow blocking to develop, then he could turn out to be a good fit. At only 22 years of age, he came out too early with limited game experience. Seems to me, he needs to quickly establish himself as a good attentive student to make the most out of any opportunity to realize an impact in 2019.

Tical21

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3qt4m2x9 said:
Tical21":3qt4m2x9 said:
Mike Davis is somewhat of a priority re-sign for me. With as often as we run, we need three, where most teams need two. Carson and Penny both were dinged numerous times, and it's great to have that third option that can truly carry the run game if needed. Also, Carson sometimes runs out of gas a bit, and we need those fresh legs to close out a game. I'm completely on the Penny train, but we need three.
Gaskin. Davis will probably cost just short of 2 mil. McKissic is probably 1.5 and if Gaskin can be gotten in the 5th then you've upgraded your 3rd down back position and cut cost at the same time.
Gaskin isn't a NFL player. Small and slow works very rarely in this league. Just a classic great college football player without NFL tools.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Gaskin is slow? Ask the Cougs defenders if he's slow. He's only the all time leading rusher in UW HISTORY.
He ran a 4.44 early in 2018. In what world is that slow?
Penny ran a 4.46 at the Combine

Tical21

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3tmtqw56 said:
Gaskin is slow? Ask the Cougs defenders if he's slow. He's only the all time leading rusher in UW HISTORY.
He ran a 4.44 early in 2018. In what world is that slow?
Penny ran a 4.46 at the Combine
I'm sorry if you can't see it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You're just making stuff up, as usual. Gaskin is slow. Ok then
He's slow like Russ is your favorite QB.

Tical21

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3ma4439h said:
You're high, as usual. Gaskin is slow. Ok then
Penny has 50 pounds on him. He's going to come out and run a 4.5 at 190. If you're gonna be 190, you better be able to outrun all the linebackers. He can't.

Tical21

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2i2uaqiv said:
Gaskin can't outrun linebackers? Thanks for the Friday morning laugh.

Yeah, look how SLOW he is running past those Penn St. Linebackers. Clearly fast and running away from the defenders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkgcTJOgmvA

What a slug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08m4dEp6-tU
How do you quanitfy how good of a NFL player a guy is?

Whatever metric you want to use to rate how good of a NFL player a guy is, I'm in, I'll bet whatever you want.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Agree to disagree, as always. You're not worth arguing with when you claim Myles Gaskin isn't fast. I can't even take you seriously. And you clearly don't give a rip what I have to say. I never said he would be a good pro, no way of knowing til we see him out there in games.
Have a great Friday.

Tical21

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2s73ouxp said:
Agree to disagree, as always. You're not worth arguing with when you claim Myles Gaskin isn't fast. I can't even take you seriously. And you clearly don't give a rip what I have to say. I never said he would be a good pro, no way of knowing til we see him out there in games.
Have a great Friday.
He's going to run a 4.5. That's not fast for a running back. It's not. I'm sorry. It's just not. Yes, we do know. There is plenty, PLENTY of data against small backs who are not fast. There is Emmitt Smith. There is Curtis Martin. Both of whom had 15 pounds on Gaskin. There is Jacquizz Rodgers, who is faster than him as well. And that's it. That's all. Go ahead and name me a productive back who is small and not fast. Don't worry, I'll wait.

I say this as, I would bet, the biggest Myles Gaskin fan on this board. He's an absolute artist of a RB. Every brush stroke absolutely perfect. Watching him in slo-mo leaves me in amazement. But I've researched this quite a bit. Almost uniformly, NFL backs are big, fast, or both. He is neither. One of the rare times in sports where you can read measurables about players and forecast their chances of success, regardless of other factors. Being an artist doesn't work in the NFL. You gotta be big or fast. Otherwise, what happens is those LBs get a paw on you, and throw you backwards. That said, I'd be thrilled if the Hawks took him, but I wouldn't be optimistic that he could contribute.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Not sure college highlights against players who will not be in the NFL are helpful measures.

His actual measurables against other backs currently in the NFL would do the trick

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He isn't the all time Husky leading rusher by accident. He's also #3 all time in Pac-10/Pac-12 yards, behind Charles White and Royce Freeman.
I have never once said he would be a great pro, the book is still out on that, like many players in the draft.
Shoot, Phillip Lindsay was undrafted and made the Pro Bowl. I doubt many saw that coming. He's like 5'8" and 190 lbs, though he did have an impressive sub 4.4 at the combine. Hopefully he does well in the NFL, not really worth arguing over and I'll be pulling for him big time.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1z6wt3ff said:
He isn't the all time Husky leading rusher by accident. He's also #3 all time in Pac-10/Pac-12 yards, behind Charles White and Royce Freeman.
I have never once said he would be a great pro, the book is still out on that, like many players in the draft.
Shoot, Phillip Lindsay was undrafted and made the Pro Bowl. I doubt many saw that coming. He's like 5'8" and 190 lbs, though he did have an impressive sub 4.4 in the combine.

Im a huge Myles Gaskin and Husky fan... but him being the leading rusher in Husky history has little to do with how he'd be as a pro. That's a convo for another time (or forum) but also the reason why the combine exists.

I agree with Tical that he won't get drafted. It seems counter-intuitive to call 4.5 slow, but he's not "fast" enough at that measurable to outrun NFL linebackers. He's too small to run through them.

He could be a good UDFA pick up whose raises his play on the field against NFL caliber players. There may be a whole side of him that the Husky's never tapped into

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":r2r7567x said:
I'll put up a 6 pack that he does get drafted.

Not necessary, but will be something to keep an eye on.