Rt Guard.. hands up

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Just kept noticing our Rt Guard, and more times than not.. he flings his hand up.. and the ball is snapped. What is that all about? The ball is not always snapped, but still .. and why isn't that considered movement for a flag?

Rainger

Reaction score
Just kept noticing our Rt Guard, and more times than not.. he flings his hand up.. and the ball is snapped. What is that all about? The ball is not always snapped, but still .. and why isn't that considered movement for a flag?
He is giving the hand signal to the line to have the center snap. Silent count thingy. It is allowed, if he doesn't move his body.

Just like the head bob of the center without ball or body movement is allowed.

All this came in with the loudness in stadiums to allow the line and QB to be in sync.

They have called a delay of 1 or 2 counts after the signal by the guard to the Centre unless the QB is in panic mode.

Watch that the guard looks back at the QB before he throws his arm out and/or touches the center on the side. His arm out is for all the other players on the line who are looking in at the snap of the ball.

Last edited:

sutz

Reaction score
He is giving the hand signal to the line to have the center snap. Silent count things. It is allowed, if he doest move his body.

Just like the head bob of the centre without ball or body movement is allowed.
There's a lot more going on down that line than we fans can see. Typically, OL are some of the smartest players on the field. They are also the most team oriented guys on the team. They kind of have to be.

Rainger

Reaction score
There's a lot more going on down that line than we fans can see. Typically, OL are some of the smartest players on the field. They are also the most team oriented guys on the team. They kind of have to be.
Yes I watch it all. I actually played center in HS. Also TE and DE and then coached Junior football in the Highland district in south Seattle. But this was all back in the 60s lol. So many new things allowed today that weren't allowed back then.

sutz

Reaction score
Yes I watch it all. I actually played center in HS. Also TE and DE and then coached Junior football in the Highland district in south Seattle. But this was all back in the 60s lol. So many new things allowed today that weren't allowed back then.

Not just allowed, required. ;)

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Doesn't matter. Play was run. No foul. Don't worry about it.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
That comment displays you know nothing absolutely nothing about football. lol

But I already knew that from your posts.
It's almost word for word his reply to me when I asked a question, in another thread, about the play clock issues we had. Sorry to ruin your gotcha moment. Thanks for popping your head above the sand to say hello though.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
All the NFL teams do something like this. It can be either the left or the right guard. Since the center can't see the QB, and may not hear him as well as the guards, the QB signals the guard, who then taps the center, as a signal that the snap count is live. Anything before this, the QB is just setting up protection, changing the play, trying to draw offsides etc.

It is also useful when a silent snap count is necessary. Quarterback signals the guard, who taps the center, who counts to three, or whatever number, and snaps the ball