Robinson Cano has agreed to 10 years/$240 mill

chris98251

Reaction score
I stated above, if we can't develop our own guys the problem is in our evaluation, spending big money to mask it is just that, a band aide over a wound that is likely to fester till you need to cut the limb off.

Saying that whether its Z our scouting or what we determine makes a prospect probably needs to be looked at, if the Rays, A's and other teams have the capability to churn players into the league there is no reason this team can't. There was a time when the Cheap ownership would not pay anyone back in the old days, we were commonly known at the AAA farm team for the rest of the league with the amount of players we turned out that were on other teams.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":21ahdpkl said:
I stated above, if we can't develop our own guys the problem is in our evaluation, spending big money to mask it is just that, a band aide over a wound that is likely to fester till you need to cut the limb off.

Saying that whether its Z our scouting or what we determine makes a prospect probably needs to be looked at, if the Rays, A's and other teams have the capability to churn players into the league there is no reason this team can't. There was a time when the Cheap ownership would not pay anyone back in the old days, we were commonly known at the AAA farm team for the rest of the league with the amount of players we turned out that were on other teams.

We aren't developing enough young guys to fill an entire roster. At some point you can't expect to start 9 homegrown guys. If you have a guy like Cano that forces players like Ackley or Franklin to step up and battle for a position instead of both of them playing because you have no other options.

You have to make moves that bolster your team instead of being afraid of all the things that can go wrong.

Donn2390

Reaction score
That's two mil a month for ten years. It is going to be a full time job to spend that much money.
I know where the Mariners can find a good shortstop who lives locally and is unemployed from January until September... Probably could pick him up cheap so he wouldn't have to collect unemployment. He is too short to play football, but not for baseball... Has a cool wallet, too...

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Donn2390":1tq9xi48 said:
That's two mil a month for ten years. It is going to be a full time job to spend that much money.
I know where the Mariners can find a good shortstop who lives locally and is unemployed from January until September... Probably could pick him up cheap so he wouldn't have to collect unemployment. He is too short to play football, but not for baseball... Has a cool wallet, too...

You mean the guy who had a .230 career average in two years of lower minor leagues?

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Taijuan Walker ‏@tai_walker
All these trade rumors are crazy Flattered to be mentioned in rumors for Price but I really hope to stay in seattle and win a championship

:D

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":1cwz2vcv said:
There was a time when the Cheap ownership would not pay anyone back in the old days, we were commonly known at the AAA farm team for the rest of the league with the amount of players we turned out that were on other teams.

When and who?

Its time to move on from in house developing and affordable deals for vet players. We spent a near decade trying to nurture our youth talent. We have a whole roster of it...and its not enough to be competitive.

So we are supplementing that failure by signing the premier free agent in baseball (without sending a single promising player away) and some of you are worried his salary might handcuff our ability sign future stars?

Good lord... If Canos deal is a problem in the future that means we've been successful.

CPHawk

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":6yy1txav said:
Taijuan Walker ‏@tai_walker
All these trade rumors are crazy Flattered to be mentioned in rumors for Price but I really hope to stay in seattle and win a championship

:D

Plus 1! Don't sent Walker anywhere, send Pryor or someone else. Walker is a future star.

Donn2390

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2d1w1sdw said:
Donn2390":2d1w1sdw said:

You mean the guy who had a .230 career average in two years of lower minor leagues?
In one of his last games as a pro baseball player, Wilson and the Tourists visited the Augusta Greenjackets. Batting eighth, Wilson went 1-for-3 with an RBI triple, a walk and two stolen bases in a 6-5 loss. He went 0-for-5 a couple weeks later in his final game, capping the day by grounding into a double play -- but that came just 24 hours after he hit his last home run, a three-run blast, on June 24, 2011.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Donn2390":2h24mo0s said:
SonicHawk":2h24mo0s said:
Donn2390":2h24mo0s said:

In one of his last games as a pro baseball player, Wilson and the Tourists visited the Augusta Greenjackets. Batting eighth, Wilson went 1-for-3 with an RBI triple, a walk and two stolen bases in a 6-5 loss. He went 0-for-5 a couple weeks later in his final game, capping the day by grounding into a double play -- but that came just 24 hours after he hit his last home run, a three-run blast, on June 24, 2011.

Sounds like Hank Aaron.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
akscoundrel":2f0iokat said:
m0ng0":2f0iokat said:
WOW ! I gotta say I am kinda liking where things are going :D

Yes, spending an obnoxious amount of money on a dude who's best years are behind him, and was just looking to cash out on retirement is a real positive change....

At best, we are looking at a few *decent* years of production, a few years where he doesnt have much left, and a few years ot just being a useless ball and chain to this organization. Lets also keep pretending he didnt benefit from yankee stadiums short right porch, or that the ball doesnt travel exceedingly well in safeco.

I understand the mentality of trying to turn things around, but this was a terrible deal. 10 years to a 31 year old? Lmfao.

want to know the change I want to see? Developing players, and actually keeping them when them become really good!

IMO they should have pony up for Fielder a couple of years ago instead of trading for Montero. This signing is going to bite the Mariners in the butt.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
His best years are behind him? This isn't he NFL. 30 -35 is still prime. Ibanez just smacked 29 hrs at 41 and he was never as talented as Cano. What do you think 29 homers will be worth salary wise in even 2020? This isn't the ARod deal. Its the same deal but ARod signed his 7-8 years ago... This is the market (a bit high but that was necessary).

Hate the deal if you want...but do it for the right reasons. The "deal" isn't awful. You can certainly make great points its not the right fit but Cano as a player is an MVP talent.

This deal is worthless if its not followed by two more strong players. Cano will make the hitters around him better... But he will need protection

hawk45

Reaction score
Yeah I'm okay with the Cano deal in fact it's been overdue. Our young offensive players haven't done much of anything so far, but the one thing we haven't tried yet is putting some proven talent in there with them to ease the transition a little bit.

Yeah it'd be nice if Jack Z could hit on offensive players that would just come up and pop regardless of their surroundings but that ain't happening.

Now, given my lack of faith in Jack Z I think it's possible you throw Cano in there and even a couple other bats and the young guys still all suck but inability to evaluate young offensive talent is different criticism of Z, one I fully endorse.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
haroldseattle":1sfu8ygy said:
akscoundrel":1sfu8ygy said:
m0ng0":1sfu8ygy said:
WOW ! I gotta say I am kinda liking where things are going :D

Yes, spending an obnoxious amount of money on a dude who's best years are behind him, and was just looking to cash out on retirement is a real positive change....

At best, we are looking at a few *decent* years of production, a few years where he doesnt have much left, and a few years ot just being a useless ball and chain to this organization. Lets also keep pretending he didnt benefit from yankee stadiums short right porch, or that the ball doesnt travel exceedingly well in safeco.

I understand the mentality of trying to turn things around, but this was a terrible deal. 10 years to a 31 year old? Lmfao.

want to know the change I want to see? Developing players, and actually keeping them when them become really good!

IMO they should have pony up for Fielder a couple of years ago instead of trading for Montero. This signing is going to bite the Mariners in the butt.

Uh, that Fielder deal went south about fifteen minutes after he put his name on the contract. No thank you, both with hindsight and at the time.