Robinson Cano has agreed to 10 years/$240 mill

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I'd rather keep Walker and sign Ubaldo Jimenez. There is a drop off of talent from Price, but that would solve 2 rotation spots instead of one and we control Walker for a long time. Price would be gone after 2 years as a free agent (no way they pay him and Felix beyond those 2 years).

Trade Franklin and parts for another bat.

That's my preference.

getnasty

Reaction score
Cano alone will not make the M's a contender, this deal makes no sense if they don't grab a few more pieces. I wonder what there going to do with Franklin, hopefully a move to the outfield.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2r9yn4uz said:
chris98251":2r9yn4uz said:
Well it's not our money, what people get pissed about is when they can't resign good players because of over extending themselves on contracts for player that are not contributing. Cano at 39 won't be swinging the bat as well as he is now and still be tieing up salary, say we have a stud 3rd baseman and we let him go to someplace else due to money. Thats what pisses off fanbases.

Exactly. I have never understood the "Well, it's not your money" argument. We care because a bad contract restricts a team's opportunities to get better down the road by taking up the budget. It's not hard to understand, folks.

Restricts all the team opportunities ans financial flexibility that they've so dutifully taken advantage of in past years?

The point is that its not your money and the idea of saving money and making financially responsible decisions that moderately improve the present while protecting the future have gotten this team nowhere.

Seriously what Mariners fan is concerned about our financial future after the last decade we've been through? What are we saving up for?

m0ng0

Reaction score
Schultz and Lincoln did this DAMN THEM !!!!! :D

I wonder which of the 3 would be best suited to play the outfield between, Miller, Franklin and Seager? How good of a glove is Cano? could he be better suited to DH or maybe 1b?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
m0ng0":2dmuowvq said:
Schultz and Lincoln did this DAMN THEM !!!!! :D

I wonder which of the 3 would be best suited to play the outfield between, Miller, Franklin and Seager? How good of a glove is Cano? could he be better suited to DH or maybe 1b?

Well Lincoln is retiring in a month, so he didn't care if the Mariners gave Cano a 50 year contract. He doesn't have to deal with it.

amill87

Reaction score
What is with people and this whole "well we signed this player, so that means we will lose out on other players in the future" thing. Until it actually happens, it's all speculative. Enjoy the moment folks, worry about 5 years from now in 5 years

chris98251

Reaction score
amill87":mrn2uodk said:
What is with people and this whole "well we signed this player, so that means we will lose out on other players in the future" thing. Until it actually happens, it's all speculative. Enjoy the moment folks, worry about 5 years from now in 5 years

Because in the moment thinking is what gets you over your budget, it doesn't plan for the stars coming up and yet to show you what they can do. We have seen the historical rammifications of this several times. If you ignore those outcomes then your doomed to repeat and have the same consequences.

kearly

Reaction score
I know I should hate the idea of trading Walker, but then I remember Michael Pineda. Even really nice prospects still have to prove they can stay healthy with MLB workloads. Seattle tried to trade Walker + Franklin for a very good outfielder last offseason and just missed out. In terms of WAR, Price is basically just as good as said outfielder, though he'd have less team control.

Deep down in my heart I know that the Cano move is more bad than good, and I know the a Price trade is probably a bad idea long term. But if Seattle adds both Cano and Price, you are talking about by far the best 1-3 rotation in baseball, maybe one of the best 1-3's in baseball history, and you are also talking about a 10-12 WAR boost to a team that has had a 75 win baseline the last few years. That alone won't get them to the playoffs, but if they make a few nice moves around two with the remaining resources and then have a few pleasant surprises next season from the younger core, you are looking at a well rounded, 85-95 win team. And if they make the playoffs with a rotation like that, I really like their chances.

I'm not going overboard here, the Mariners probably won't be world champs any time soon and making the playoffs is still going to be hard, but at least the Mariners have some hope now, and at least there will be actual intrigue over a Mariner's season for the first time in about four years.

I just wish Cano played the outfield. Seattle has a bunch of 4th and 5th outfielder types, which is how guys like Ibanez and even Mike Morse got so much time in the corners last season.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":vth4dvth said:
I know I should hate the idea of trading Walker, but then I remember Michael Pineda. Even really nice prospects still have to prove they can stay healthy with MLB workloads. Seattle tried to trade Walker + Franklin for a very good outfielder last offseason and just missed out. In terms of WAR, Price is basically just as good as said outfielder, though he'd have less team control.

Deep down in my heart I know that the Cano move is more bad than good, and I know the a Price trade is probably a bad idea long term. But if Seattle adds both Cano and Price, you are talking about by far the best 1-3 rotation in baseball, maybe one of the best 1-3's in baseball history, and you are also talking about a 10-12 WAR boost to a team that has had a 75 win baseline the last few years. That alone won't get them to the playoffs, but if they make a few nice moves around two with the remaining resources and then have a few pleasant surprises next season from the younger core, you are looking at a well rounded, 85-95 win team. And if they make the playoffs with a rotation like that, I really like their chances.

I'm not going overboard here, the Mariners probably won't be world champs any time soon and making the playoffs is still going to be hard, but at least the Mariners have some hope now, and at least there will be actual intrigue over a Mariner's season for the first time in about four years.

I just wish Cano played the outfield. Seattle has a bunch of 4th and 5th outfielder types, which is how guys like Ibanez and even Mike Morse got so much time in the corners last season.
I think my biggest problem with it is that at a moment when the Mariners are already a left dominated lineup, and desperate for right handed hitting, they spent the bulk of their capital on a lefty who WILL be pitched around if they don't cover him on both sides.

And in 5 years they better start sending him to see caribbean doctors in the winter. wink wink.

jhawk91

Reaction score
If be more worried about the amount of years and the no trade clause as a Mariners fan. As a yankees fan though, I'm kind of glad he went somewhere else for that much money for that many years, it would be A-rod all over again probably

m0ng0

Reaction score
kearly":21tx7i6j said:
Deep down in my heart I know that the Cano move is more bad than good, and I know the a Price trade is probably a bad idea long term. But if Seattle adds both Cano and Price, you are talking about by far the best 1-3 rotation in baseball, maybe one of the best 1-3's in baseball history,

2 Cy Young winners and a top 3 finalist as your 1-2-3. then mix it walker/paxton and possibly Erasmo Ramiriez or Danny Hultzen? WOW !!! I hope we can pick up a bit more offense and things are looking good for next year!

amill87

Reaction score
chris98251":j80ojc2s said:
amill87":j80ojc2s said:

Because in the moment thinking is what gets you over your budget, it doesn't plan for the stars coming up and yet to show you what they can do. We have seen the historical rammifications of this several times. If you ignore those outcomes then your doomed to repeat and have the same consequences.

You're right. We shouldn't spend any money because in the future it might effect us negatively. We should just stick with commercials telling us to be patient while the guys we draft finally develop into stars. That's the way to do it.

Everyone knows the Mariners overpaid. But they had to. They have been garbage because they have been trying to develop internal talent over the past couple years. This is a move that shows players and agents that the Mariners are willing to pay for talent and that's half the battle at drawing in players. The other part is winning. If they can move into the 80 win category it moves them a little closer and players will view them a little better. Than you can get a few more players and get some more wins and just keep that ball rolling.

The Mariners are in a bad place and the only way to turn this around isn't to wait 5 more years for draft picks to be ready

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Probably funded by Chris Hansen . . . "Hey guys, stop hating on this sonics deal and I will attempt to make you relevant in someway"

I don't really like baseball, but at least this move was interesting. That first big move out of the gutter is always expensive. I might even keep an eye on things. Good for the Ms.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1lqpxojf said:
10 year deal for a dude over 30.

Smart.

There's no such thing as smart in free agent baseball... Not really a new thing

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":e53m0u2e said:
amill87":e53m0u2e said:

I guess I didn't realize we have budgetary responsibility. I'll be damned, I thought we were all just fans.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Uncle Si":pyvxm1ed said:
Smelly McUgly":pyvxm1ed said:
chris98251":pyvxm1ed said:
Well it's not our money, what people get pissed about is when they can't resign good players because of over extending themselves on contracts for player that are not contributing. Cano at 39 won't be swinging the bat as well as he is now and still be tieing up salary, say we have a stud 3rd baseman and we let him go to someplace else due to money. Thats what pisses off fanbases.

Exactly. I have never understood the "Well, it's not your money" argument. We care because a bad contract restricts a team's opportunities to get better down the road by taking up the budget. It's not hard to understand, folks.

Restricts all the team opportunities ans financial flexibility that they've so dutifully taken advantage of in past years?

The point is that its not your money and the idea of saving money and making financially responsible decisions that moderately improve the present while protecting the future have gotten this team nowhere.

Seriously what Mariners fan is concerned about our financial future after the last decade we've been through? What are we saving up for?

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. However, I do get that the other side is concerned that the Ms won't just slash payroll if this doesn't work out in two or three years and we end up with a +1.8 WAR Cano at age 37 and a bunch of nothing besides because Cano is making 24M. I think that it's a valid concern.

Personally, as you said later down the thread, this is FA in baseball. Our guys can't draft and develop like the Rays do, so we're going to have to spend or just be mediocre forever. Right now, this team just got five wins better, so I can live with what might happen in the future.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Throwdown":3h930hge said:
How good does this look?

This picture made me realize how The M's got Cano to finalize the deal.

Jack Z: "And if you sign with us, you don't have to shave everyday like on the Yankees. You can keep your facial hair."

Cano: "Where do I sign?"