Robert Turbin to be waived w/ injury designation (update)

endzorn

Reaction score
Turbin is a good guy, but I'm not going to miss him at all. He's league average on a good day

OP
OP
J

jake206

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/640013355923603456[/tweet]

endzorn":3efycotp said:
Turbin is a good guy, but I'm not going to miss him at all. He's league average on a good day

He's consistent, albeit consistently average. Consistency is very difficult to find in NFL. Subpar or inconsistent performance is more the norm.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I hope he sticks around, but I don't think it happens. I was always a fan of his even if he was just okay. I thought he did what he was asked to do fine.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Good Seahawk. Bummed he is leaving.

Not as bad as many posters around here think. He was productive behind an oline that gets dissed constantly with claims that its only Lynch's hard running that gets him his yards and Wilson's escape-ability that keeps him upright.

Seafan

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3hb7zkml said:
Good Seahawk. Bummed he is leaving.

Not as bad as many posters around here think. He was productive behind an oline that gets dissed constantly with claims that its only Lynch's hard running that gets him his yards and Wilson's escape-ability that keeps him upright.

Agreed but he wasn't going to be back next year and is probably not going to be productive this year. Predictable move.

crosfam

Reaction score
If a player is waived with an injury settlement, does the team pick up the tab for medical recovery? The league? Seems like a workers comp situation where the employer would have to provide care...

Hawks46

Reaction score
This move will improve the team with the Jackson signing, but it's probably not as good for Turbin.

Like others have said, he's average to above average. He's an average runner, but he's above average for a receving and pass blocking back, and was even serviceable as a FB. That has value.

In the right situation, he'd be better than a lot of people would expect. I don't think he was a good fit behind our OL, but I bet he would tear it up in Dallas or NE.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
crosfam":17we29qr said:
If a player is waived with an injury settlement, does the team pick up the tab for medical recovery? The league? Seems like a workers comp situation where the employer would have to provide care...

The league pays for it.

kearly

Reaction score
I think he'll be back with the Seahawks in training camp next year. IMO he's one of those players like Tjack and LMJ that built up equity with the organization, but have done very little to impress outsiders.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
As a runner, I have only one complaint about Turbin. He lacked a nose for the endzone. Otherwise he gets crapped on for not being Marshawn Lynch.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
crosfam":2k2qpgr5 said:
That depends on the settlement, it's a negotiated thing. I can't imagine letting the team off the hook for the medical tab myself, but money talks.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2mmpnu27 said:
crosfam":2mmpnu27 said:

The league pays for it.
The league not the team? You sure? (Just askin' cause I'm not)

12thbrah

Reaction score
The question is when Turbin leaves who will have the biggest biceps on the team?

StoneCold

Reaction score
Sad to see him go. I feel like he is the victim of other players penalties. I just remember multiple big plays that got called back because someone else was holding. Sure the hold may have been what sprung him, but it's still a burn when you're best work gets wiped out. Next play gets 1 yard and posters on the forums proclaim that you suck and they're not sorry to see you go.

Good bye and good luck Turbo!

TwilightError

Reaction score
I like Turbin even if he is not the power runner I first hoped. I like Michael too, always hoped his bursty home run -threat was gonna be the next big thing for Seahawks. But solely based on this preseason, I think that Rawls is the best backup for Lynch. He has similar qualities as a hard nosed run-through-you -player and I think he is NFL ready now. More plug and play for the same set of offense.

TwilightError

Reaction score
StoneCold":1chxgu6u said:
Sad to see him go. I feel like he is the victim of other players penalties. I just remember multiple big plays that got called back because someone else was holding. Sure the hold may have been what sprung him, but it's still a burn when you're best work gets wiped out. Next play gets 1 yard and posters on the forums proclaim that you suck and they're not sorry to see you go.

Good bye and good luck Turbo!

This. Dude has what? One touchdown in the NFL? How many have been overturned because of flags... Also seems like a great guy, so all the best for you in the future Turbo! (If you read this)

lobohawk

Reaction score
Kinda sucks. Tubin has been everything CM hasn't. He's improved each year and been reliable. Unfortunately he plays behind Lynch and will always suffer in comparison. By the end of last season he was running with some power and speed.

This action is the kind of thing that Kam dreads. If a team thinks the value isn't worth waiting on (e.g. injury), they can drop a player fast. Turbin didn't do anything wrong, just had an injury at the wrong time.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Scottemojo":28zgxaf7 said:
As a runner, I have only one complaint about Turbin. He lacked a nose for the endzone. Otherwise he gets crapped on for not being Marshawn Lynch.

My feelings as well. What Turbin was asked to do he did well. Not his fault he is not exactly like Marshawn.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2kitqpu3 said:

That's a fair point, but I don't really hold that against Turbin much because you usually don't depend on 3rd down backs for red zone carries.

My chief complaint is that he just couldn't produce explosive plays at a decent rate. He was too eager to dive for five yards and didn't really have the resilience he needed to beat one on ones for big plays. Michael, and even Rawls, have shown a knack for the big play behind the same blocking. Despite good speed, Turbin is one of the least elusive RBs in the entire NFL (and to your point, Lynch is arguably the most elusive).

And on the rare occasions that Turbin did break off any kind of play over 15 yards, there was a provision in the rulebook that said it had to be called back. Every. Time. Poor guy.

Would Turbin still be here if the injury had never happened? My guess is that he would be. I bet we haven't seen the last of him in a Seahawks uni.

That said, our run blocking scheme and offense in general seem to be based around the idea of improvisation and spontaneous playmaking. Our run blockers don't open up huge holes, they simply muck things up and create chaos that a guy like Lynch can capitalize on. Turbin is a structure dependent RB playing in the least structured offense in the NFL. So I think a lot of his faults are exaggerated in our system.

Latest posts