Rex Ryan to the Bills

FireHawk79

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2ih56o4g said:
Should have gone to Atlanta.

Agreed! Amkes no sense to me why he goes to the bills, only reason I see is he stays in NY. But Atlanta seemed like the better job to me.

pehawk

Reaction score
Well, Greg Roman is going with him. I think that's the only reason the Bills are doing it, Rex WITH Roman should work and counter any incompetence Rex may show offensively. If they can retain Schwartz, that's one hell of a staff.

That Bills squad is FULL of talent. Even on offense its full of talent. EJ hasn't shown much, but he was the closest to Wilson intangible wise in that draft. I think Roman will get the most out of him.

The Bills job is a good job...that's such a stacked roster.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I wonder if having two shots a year at Woody had something to do with it?
Get him a QB, probably time to get another RB too. That D with rex is going to be something.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1x3twvy9 said:
I wonder if having two shots a year at Woody had something to do with it?
Get him a QB, probably time to get another RB too. That D with rex is going to be something.

This is the truth. They had a borderline elite defense this year (#2 in weighted DVOA), and they almost assuredly take the next step in 2015.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Kind of scary if they get the QB possition figured out. The Jets did have a tendency to make bad personelle choices that mostly had the offense losing out so they could stack the defense. I don't know how much of that was Rex though. Still ominous for the Bills.

pehawk

Reaction score
BlueTalon":2vn4sekm said:
pehawk":2vn4sekm said:
Well, Greg Roman is going with him.
I wouldn't count that as a positive. The Digits never figured out how to get plays called efficiently under Roman.

Yeah, I think that has more to do with the 49ers QB.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
pehawk":1id4xsaf said:
BlueTalon":1id4xsaf said:
pehawk":1id4xsaf said:
I wouldn't count that as a positive. The Digits never figured out how to get plays called efficiently under Roman.
Perhaps, but if you were the OC with less-than-brilliant QB, would it take you four years to figure out how to get plays called in a timely manner?

pehawk

Reaction score
BlueTalon":23db7fc7 said:
pehawk":23db7fc7 said:
BlueTalon":23db7fc7 said:
pehawk":23db7fc7 said:
Perhaps, but if you were the OC with less-than-brilliant QB, would it take you four years to figure out how to get plays called in a timely manner?

Mike McCarthy once coordinated the 2nd worst offense in history, IIRC. Sometimes its the players on the field.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
pehawk":1z42lakp said:
BlueTalon":1z42lakp said:
pehawk":1z42lakp said:

I think this is true.

I also think there is an outside chance Kaepernick gets traded to Buffalo for relatively cheap now that Harbaugh is gone and the Niners may want to outright cut Kaep after this year.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1jjbpzk2 said:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12149930/buffalo-bills-hire-rex-ryan-next-head-coach

So he goes from one AFC East team with a good defense but no QB to another AFC East team with a good defense but no QB.

This was exactly my thought when I heard this on the radio this morning. EJ Manuel is slightly better but not by much to Geno Smith. Plus he's getting Greg Roman instead of Marc Trestman as OC. They mentioned on the radio that Ryan wasn't too interested in the Atlanta gig because he is still stewing that they had picked Mike Smith over him a few years ago.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
pehawk":2xx9fwy8 said:
BlueTalon":2xx9fwy8 said:
pehawk":2xx9fwy8 said:
BlueTalon":2xx9fwy8 said:
The Digits never figured out how to get plays called efficiently under Roman.
Mike McCarthy once coordinated the 2nd worst offense in history, IIRC. Sometimes its the players on the field.
You avoided my question.

Under Roman's system, it was reported that he called in two complete plays every time. Something about that process was exceptionally cumbersome, and it never got streamlined. The Digits often had to call timeouts just because of that, or got delay of game penalties.

Plus, there was a lack of urgency on the field. In the Tip game, the Digits wasted most of the last 2 minutes prior to the tip by staying inbounds, tying shoelaces, and sauntering.

Four years of that.

pehawk

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1qp7x6rp said:
You avoided my question.

One of the primary objectives of their offense is to milk the clock and protect their defensive starters. Their goal was to get the clock down to "1" as much as possible. Its their gimmick. That takes a very smart and cerebral QB to run that. And that worked for 3 years, for the most part; 3 NFCCG and 1 SB appearance.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
pehawk":1iziu1zw said:
BlueTalon":1iziu1zw said:
You avoided my question.

One of the primary objectives of their offense is to milk the clock and protect their defensive starters. Their goal was to get the clock down to "1" as much as possible. Its their gimmick. That takes a very smart and cerebral QB to run that. And that worked for 3 years, for the most part; 3 NFCCG and 1 SB appearance.
I think you're reaching here, to be honest. Their success wasn't due to running the play clock down to 1, their success was in spite of their inefficient play calling.

pehawk

Reaction score
BlueTalon":3rdmvtq0 said:
pehawk":3rdmvtq0 said:
BlueTalon":3rdmvtq0 said:
You avoided my question.

I think you're reaching here, to be honest. Their success wasn't due to running the play clock down to 1, their success was in spite of their inefficient play calling.

Hmm, I disagree. The 49ers played their starters on defense more than anyone for a reason; they have no depth behind those starting 11. They protected that, a lot, IMO. Shorten the game and keep their defense fresh.

Also, I just flatly disagree with any assertion Roman held Kap back, or it was more about Kap's ability. Kap flourished only because it was the easiest QB gig in the NFL. As that diminished, Kap diminished. Kap just kind of sucks, period.

jkitsune

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1x6nwcj0 said:
pehawk":1x6nwcj0 said:

Greg Roman is 10x the whipping boy Bevell ever has been here. Niners fans will be delighted that he's finally leaving. Not sure that's a legitimate upgrade for the Bills.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
pehawk":2kieabtv said:
Well, Greg Roman is going with him. I think that's the only reason the Bills are doing it, Rex WITH Roman should work and counter any incompetence Rex may show offensively. If they can retain Schwartz, that's one hell of a staff.

That Bills squad is FULL of talent. Even on offense its full of talent. EJ hasn't shown much, but he was the closest to Wilson intangible wise in that draft. I think Roman will get the most out of him.

Agree, but until they find an NFL caliber QB they will be a .500 type team. EJ ain't it man. Trade for Glennon might be a good idea. He ain't Erin or Russ, but he's good enough to get you to 10-6 with the rest of that roster IMO.

pehawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":27b8yq6r said:
pehawk":27b8yq6r said:

Agree, but until they find an NFL caliber QB they will be a .500 type team. EJ ain't it man. Trade for Glennon might be a good idea. He ain't Erin or Russ, but he's good enough to get you to 10-6 with the rest of that roster IMO.

Roman's a perfect OC selection for Manuel. For whatever reason the Bills never let Manuel move around like Roman and Bevell did/do Kaep and Wilson. Imagine someone taking that from Wilson or Kaep from day one...that's what happened to EJ. Don't throw Manuel away, quite yet.