Review of O play calling and line play.

OP
OP
F

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Well I believe he did a good job of mixing up different type of plays. The only issue I had is the one Scotte brought up about getting behind the LB on PA. As I said before I believe the X's and O's were there, the execution was bad.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The OP has some good information, but it doesn't come anywhere close to excusing Bevell. Pointing out Bowie's struggles, the QB's inexperience, and the drops on the slants doesn't sponge up all the blame and leave Bevell shiny. Rushing once per series is nowhere near enough.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":iwaadzd8 said:
Rushing once per series is nowhere near enough.

I don't see much room around this if your offense is being put in terrible down-and-distance situations due to penalties and sacks and you're not converting first downs. And as many have pointed out, St. Louis stacked the box with as many as 9 defenders and dared Seattle to complete quick throws. It couldn't due to poor execution (missed blocks + WR drops). St. Louis sold out their secondary to stop the run and rush the passer, and we saw the result of it when Golden got 30 open yards to the end zone.

I guess instead we could have gone run-run-pass vs. a 9-man box. I'm sure Bevell would be praised to high heaven for doing something like that.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1k96z0db said:
MontanaHawk05":1k96z0db said:
Rushing once per series is nowhere near enough.
St. Louis sold out their secondary to stop the run and rush the passer, and we saw the result of it when Golden got 30 open yards to the end zone.

That play was a spectacular individual play by Golden and an outlier that probably wouldn't happen again if you tried it another 30 times. In fact, a good 8 of those times it would probably lead to a pick. Immensely lucky play.

We don't (yet) have the WR talent or the pure passing skill at quarterback to compensate for stack-the-box approaches, especially now that Sidney Rice is down for the count. Besides, as the OP said, we still had rushing success even against the box. So for me, the failure to commit to the run really stands out. Our entire playbook is based on it. Keep in mind that Pete fired the last OC who refused to commit to the run.

Still plenty of other reasons to skepticize Bevell that OP didn't touch on. He didn't move Wilson's pocket nearly as much as he usually does. Maybe that was because of the lack of skill at tackle, but it hasn't stopped him before. Too many 4-man go routes against good front 7's and other long-developing route packages. Doesn't stick with what works, seems to determined to abandon good things before the defense forces him to. Noticeable shortage of RB protection and outlet routes. Play-action from your own end zone. The list goes on.