Report: Hawks Players Don't Think RW is Black Enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I don't believe a word about Wilson not taking ownership of his mistakes. He always owns up to his end of things post game. While I'm sure there a handful of jealous players who claim he isn't black enough the rest of this story is complete BS.

SuperFreak

Reaction score
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. Dr. King - August 28, 1963

Over 50 years ago now that those words were spoken and we are still unable to respect others for their actions instead of their skin tone or " acting black " enough etc, racism comes in many forms and it saddens me that the team I root for has been dealing with this. I hope Percy being gone will cure these issues.

It's a damn shame we are still having these sorts of issues in this day and age but it doesn't surprise me. I wish it were different, but I'd rather this team lose every damn game with a guy like Wilson than to win another Super Bowl with someone like Harvin who it seems is the source of this race bating against his former team.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
austinslater25":ibbc8m3r said:
I don't believe a word about Wilson not taking ownership of his mistakes. He always owns up to his end of things post game. While I'm sure there a handful of jealous players who claim he isn't black enough the rest of this story is complete BS.

It's total bull. It is any time someone purports to know what "the team" is thinking. Not only has Wilson taken responsibility for mistakes during post-game, you can even see Wilson mouthing the words "my bad" when he's off on a throw during a game.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":1y0m7wt7 said:
This story is contrived BS. The guy took off-handed comments somebody made and tried to blow it up into this big race issue. You can go into any workplace and find issues between people. If it involves race, then it can seem, to an outsider, like some big issue, but it's not. If this was happening in my workplace I'd laugh it off.

agreed, but lets do 3 pages and counting and blow it up even more.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I think Percy and maybe some of the other guys see Russell more as management and this comes from that. Workers vs management.

HawkWow

Reaction score
SonicHawk":ec7rwe2w said:
stizz19":ec7rwe2w said:
If Wilson isn't black enough imagine what Brady and Mannings teammates think of them?

Probably as white.

They will never be accused of not being white enough. The rap thing they did cemented that for them. Is it just me or does it appear Peyton's relationship with Papa John is getting a bit creepy?

Your earlier comment about educated, well spoken blacks not being accepted by other blacks (in general) is just spot on. I grew up in the projects (I'm white). I grew up boxing and playing basketball and made some very good black friends in both sports. But away from the gyms, they couldn't risk being seen with me for fear of losing street cred or called names that I won't repeat here.

I still have black friends that rank at the top of my friends list. Educated (ex Div 1 football players) and well spoken, I recently had to point out to one of them just how much he changed when we happen upon black guys he doesn't know. The personality changes, he gets uncomfortable and it's just rather fugly. Fortunately intelligence reigned supreme and I was thanked repeatedly for my honest insight. He seriously just didn't know.

This is one reason I love Hawaii. We are a melting pot. I believe we have 64 different nationalities living here full time. Racism is rife, but it's nothing like what I knew growing up in Milwaukee, Chicago or Houston. Basically harmless by comparison and it seems the Hawaiians aside, people are racist because they think they should be. So it's easier to sort their stupid ass' out.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I can understand where SonicHawk is coming from on this. I think he's absolutely right that there's an issue of respect (or lack thereof) involved in someone being told he isn't black enough. I just think that there's some subtle racism involved in that as well--consciously or otherwise. Either way, we can all agree that it's really stupid and uncalled for.

As to Russell not taking ownership of his own mistakes, I have serious doubts. Unless he is substantially different behind the scenes, he seems perfectly willing to say when he's messed up. He also refers to the team as a whole, which is how it should be. If he's calling guys out behind the scenes, I'm inclined to believe it's because he's seen something on the field or game film and believes it needs to be pointed out. Some guys may not like that, but as far as I'm aware, that's what the great QBs do. A perfect example is the SFX video from the Super Bowl when he tried to tell Tate to make sure he got the first down before trying to juke around for extra yardage. That's the kind of stuff QBs are supposed to point out, unless of course they're "just a game manager"--HA!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1ynquecr said:
scutterhawk":1ynquecr said:
SonicHawk":1ynquecr said:
XxXdragonXxX":1ynquecr said:
If this is true, they're racist. Ship any players with this attitude off to New York with Percy. I bet he's plenty "black enough."

This isn't racism, this is a serious issue within the black community, but it's not racism. You'll be shipping half the team off to New York if you thought this way.
Perceiving that someone as not having been raised poor enough equates with not acting black enough.
The problem is, that RW wasn't brought up as poor enough for their liking.
A lot of these people are considering Wilson as self indulgent, and a snooty....So, Russell Wilson in in no-mans-land eh?

Being poor, stupid, or not being able to speak 'black' has absolutely nothing to do with their comments. If you think that's what black people mean when they say 'acting white' then you must think black people are stupid, poor and don't think proper grammar is beneficial for conversation.
People that are poor are perceived as lazy, and without the drive to better themselves, AND, having been brought up poor myself, I don't now, nor have I ever, equated being poor, to being stupid.
Stupid is stupid, and doesn't wear any particular color.
Not acting white enough, and not acting black enough, are racists statements, BECAUSE it implies that skin COLOR is the measure of a mans character
Russell Wilson doesn't specifically target the black community with donations, and that's one of the reason's that he's considered an "ORIO", or an "Apple" by the black community.

drdiags

Reaction score
Sis, the other thing about the Tate comment was that Russell tried to do it without bringing notice to him or Tate. Being miked up, a cynic could say he still showed up Tate but it wasn't obvious to the announcers so he offered Tate some good advice. Tate may still be doing this move in Detroit, but at least he cannot claim ignorance to the idea of make the first down and stop risking the drive.

sc85sis

Reaction score
drdiags":3417h2qd said:
Sis, the other thing about the Tate comment was that Russell tried to do it without bringing notice to him or Tate. Being miked up, a cynic could say he still showed up Tate but it wasn't obvious to the announcers so he offered Tate some good advice. Tate may still be doing this move in Detroit, but at least he cannot claim ignorance to the idea of make the first down and stop risking the drive.
Exactly. He almost seemed apologetic about saying anything, which I actually thought was a sign of his relative youth in the position of starting QB in the NFL. I doubt very much the "top dog" QBs would be so shy about it. "Dude, get the damn first down!" seems more likely.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Most would call Marino one of the best ever. And that description started almost immediately for him. Unsure how many of you watched Marino's career, but Marino would have went apeshit on Tate for that play and would have been right in doing so. Wilson wants similar greatness and handled the situation with class and care for both team and Tate. Loved Tate, but he is a bit sensitive at times. Props to Russ and not many of his detractors suffered through the QB drought that we Hawk fans have. Get off his back, follow his lead, or ask to be traded, if not cut.

Cartire

Reaction score
HawkWow":1kwtzrlo said:
This is one reason I love Hawaii. We are a melting pot. I believe we have 64 different nationalities living here full time. Racism is rife, but it's nothing like what I knew growing up in Milwaukee, Chicago or Houston. Basically harmless by comparison and it seems the Hawaiians aside, people are racist because they think they should be. So it's easier to sort their stupid ass' out.

lol, im sorry. I get everything you were saying. And im positive you just made a typo. But when you said 64 nationalities live there. I though of all my Japanese friends there, and this just made me die.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Cartire":26m2yyc3 said:
HawkWow":26m2yyc3 said:

lol, im sorry. I get everything you were saying. And im positive you just made a typo. But when you said 64 nationalities live there. I though of all my Japanese friends there, and this just made me die.

LOL.

rife
rīf
adjective
1.(especially of something undesirable or harmful) of common occurrence; widespread.
"male chauvinism was rife in medicine in those days"

Yxes1122

Reaction score
kearly":204a4eg6 said:
Scottemojo":204a4eg6 said:
In all the race talk has been lost that reportedly in private, Russ doesn't take blame for mistakes. Which seems at odds with the very proper Russ who always seeks to say only positive things about his mates in public.

I wanted to add to this. We know that Wilson challenged Harvin to better himself. I'm pretty sure I've heard stories about Wilson challenging other players on other issues in the past.

To say that Wilson doesn't take blame is something to be careful with. If Wilson doesn't take the blame in a specific instance, I'm inclined to believe that he's being objective and simply wants to fix a problem that truly is owned by someone else. As anyone with a decent football IQ knows, not all mistakes a QB makes are the QBs fault. Wilson doesn't show up to watch film at 5am every day just to let these kinds of things slide.

It might bother some people, but it shouldn't. If they trust Wilson as a guy who just wants to win and fix things, they should trust his intentions, rather than paint him as a guy who can't admit he's wrong.

Just to add a little more. I have a hard time believing that a player who didn't take blame could last long on a team with a day of the week devoted to telling the truth. I also don't think that Wilson shows up before everyone else to watch film just to point out what everyone else did wrong.

I think kearly is spot on. Wilson is still young, and still has a lot of growth ahead of him, so I can see how him pointing out someone's mistakes can be taken the wrong way. I think some of the influence for this article came from seeing ADB yelling at Wilson on the sideline and Wilson refusing to engage back. As I recall he just continued to sip from his gatorade cup. And I also felt that the way Wilson referred to his play after the Dallas game was kind of like glossing over the issues. But I don't think that was a lack of self blame, but more out of a frustration with himself and not wanting to get into it with the media.

I can see how the perception is there, but I just can't believe that Wilson is above self blame. He's too good to be someone that refuses to fix his own mistakes.

Cartire

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3fyjvakk said:
Cartire":3fyjvakk said:
HawkWow":3fyjvakk said:

LOL.

rife
rīf
adjective
1.(especially of something undesirable or harmful) of common occurrence; widespread.
"male chauvinism was rife in medicine in those days"

Thats make far more sense. I even knew the word rife, and yet I couldnt see it. I just saw Racism is Life and instantly went asian slang.

Does that make me racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.