Remember when....... (Read option related)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
We should PURPOSELY run Wilson a few times every game for basically the same reason we should take at least one deep (25+ air yards) pass attempt every single quarter; for what it does to the opposing defense, regardless of the effectiveness of those plays.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1w84py3z said:
We should PURPOSELY run Wilson a few times every game for basically the same reason we should take at least one deep (25+ air yards) pass attempt every single quarter; for what it does to the opposing defense, regardless of the effectiveness of those plays.

I AGREED WITH YOU! Sorry, but I couldn't resist doing that. :thirishdrinkers:

#FireBevell

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
OkieHawk":2x5wmte1 said:
RolandDeschain":2x5wmte1 said:

I AGREED WITH YOU! Sorry, but I couldn't resist doing that. :thirishdrinkers:

#FireBevell
Rofl, I know, I was clarifying for the cheap seats. Hence why I didn't quote you to make it a direct response. :)

#ILoveHashTaggingStuff
#RussellWilsonPleaseHaveMyBabies

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Tical21":34a6zkvk said:
We don't run it for the same reasons everybody else stopped running it. Despite what Cartire says, QB's were taking way too many shots. Once the NFL decided the QB is fair game even if he doesn't have the ball, it became time to think of another plan.

I posed the original question on October 4th. Guess we can run it with consistent success. We would pretty muck suck on O without the read option.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1qdl6xa6 said:
My opinion is that it's a type of offense that can't be run constantly. It is effective if RW sees something in the D and audibles into it, but we don't need to run it all the time. Colleges can get away with it due to simplified schemes, not so much in the NFL. Also, see RGKnee as to why it shouldn't be done.

To be fair in this entire thing, his initial injury that led to the playoff game disaster occurred when he tried to scramble after the pocket collapsed to the weak side up the sideline then cut across the defense to the other side and got jacked by Haloti Ngata. It was so ridiculously stupid; Wilson would run out of bounds.

I agree that the read option isn't something you want to run like they did against the Giants. However, having done it against the Giants is now going to mess with defenses for a little while because they'll have to be more disciplined and waste resources that aren't chasing Lynch or rushing the passer when they see the formation.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Steve2222":vlx3xsqc said:
Wilson has ran the ball more than his fair share in his 2+ NFL Seasons. And I can count on one hand how hard shots he's taken. The dude is smart. He will concede an extra 5 yards to avoid contact. Something RG3 will never learn and ultimately end his career abruptly.

Here's the problem with that: when we run the RO, Wilson is looked at like a RB, even when he hands off the ball. So, you scrape a LBer to the QB every time and crash that DE. If Wilson hands the ball off, then you can still hit him. The 49ers did this last year after Douchebaugh whined about people saying "solve the RO by just hitting the QB over and over", then went ahead and had Ahmad Brooks just light up Wilson a few times. Guess what ? We stopped running RO plays that game. Wilson was getting killed.

It's legal to hit the QB on every RO play. So Wilson can get hit more when handing the ball off than when running. Throw in the crappy pass pro of our OL and the hits Wilson is taking constantly anyways, and the few times Wilson takes a hit to get a 1st down (he'll take them when he has to), and you're not going to have your QB all season if you constantly run RO plays.

Running the RO plays works better when it's a surprise if you're even going to run it. It also helps your conventional offense by keeping the defense more off balance.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Hawks46":2xm69pvt said:
Running the RO plays works better when it's a surprise if you're even going to run it. It also helps your conventional offense by keeping the defense more off balance.

That is the key to making that play successful.......keeping the defense off balance. If Marshawn can get 5-7 yards per carry initially, the Chiefs will begin to gravitate toward him leaving Russell open. It will be a "cat and mouse" game Sunday.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Seemed that teams did get better at covering it, playing more disciplined, and we backed off somewhat. As we backed off, some teams seemed to take it off their preparation and we could exploit it again (see Giants).

pehawk

Reaction score
Is it hypocritical to accept a hit on a QB to complete a throw in the pocket but not on a run? The answer is yes.

If anything the bigger hits occur in the pocket completing throws because the QB has no opportunity to duck protect him or her self. That's particularly true with Wilson.

The "the QB takes too many hits" mantra is relic thinking from the age of Dave Krieg, Bill Kenney, Joe Ferguson and Ken Anderson.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Yeah why don't we just win by a lot all the time!

- Teams were different
- Defenses weren't schooled yet on Russell and how we were running our offense
- Our O-line was better
- Our WR corp was better
- We had M-Rob blocking like a mother

The biggest reason is the read option was fairly new, and definitely new to our scheme............and now team's for the most part have caught up to how the Hawks run their offense.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":314xx8pd said:
Yeah why don't we just win by a lot all the time!

- Teams were different
- Defenses weren't schooled yet on Russell and how we were running our offense
- Our O-line was better
- Our WR corp was better
- We had M-Rob blocking like a mother

The biggest reason is the read option was fairly new, and definitely new to our scheme............and now team's for the most part have caught up to how the Hawks run their offense.

I just don't see what you are saying. Most every time we run the read option our O kicks ass. The only time we ran it in the game against Denver this year was when we needed to score in OT and it was by far the most impressive drive of the game. Ultimately I think Pete wants us to be a pocket passing O but with limitations on the OL the read option is the only way we can consistently move the ball and score points. I love it when we run it and think we would be foolish to try anything else.

Jacob

Reaction score
We are getting to the point where we just need to win. I think you saw in the second half of the Gman game what we will do when we need to win. I would expect a heavy does of running with it in KC and if it keeps working the rest of the year. Part of the problem is the Oline is having trouble pass blocking so it is more dangeruss to make RW drop back 30 plus times a game right now.

GO HAWKS

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Those 3 games were awesome. But guess what happened that year? We got bounced in the playoffs in Atlanta in Round 2. The following year we had a much more balanced ball control approach and a better defense. CHAMPIONSHIP. Wins are all that matters. Style points are for college football.

I actually have a theory. I think bandwagon fans (BTW, not accusing the OP by any means, this is tangential) have a weird memory of the Super Bowl and bigger profile wins of last year, combined with the stretch of blowouts from 2012 as to what their memory of last year was. So many of them for whatever reason are watching this season and confounded that we're no blowing out teams. As if last year was nothing but those 2012 blowouts, a couple of easier wins from last year, and the SB. Bunch of bandwagon fans that weren't paying attention last year to the games vs HOU, CAR, STL, SF, TB, TEN, IND, AZ. Sad. But a large majority of our fans these days are entirely out of touch with reality.

Go Hawks.

Latest posts