Refs

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Mizak":vcnd3qyu said:
Basically if an NFL team is playing the Cowboys, Stealers, Patriots, or Packers, expect a flag fest.
Pretty much. Legacy teams have big fanbases. Teams with big fanbases buy lots of playoff/super bowl merch. More merch sold = more $$$ for the NFL coffers.

I don’t believe the NFL fixes games on a regular basis (XL* being an exception) but they sure as hell try to steer games to “desired results” for the legacy teams. If bad officiating bothered them they would have fixed it by now. It’s not a bug it’s a feature. That’s the reason why it would piss me off when the Hawks of the past wouldn’t put teams away and take the “zebra factor” out of the game late.

It’s crappy business model and I don’t agree with it but it’s simple economics from their standpoint.

AVL

Reaction score
They were not bad most of the time, which is great!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't really notice them much at all on Sunday. I thought the DK thing was very ticky tack, along with one ridiculous PI when the ball was 10 yards over the receivers head. But overall, they were fine.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
If you guys think NFL reffing is bad & a conspiracy fest, just wait until the Kraken play.

You guys are gonna lose your f****** minds.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":248wyqy3 said:
If you guys think NFL reffing is bad & a conspiracy fest, just wait until the Kraken play.

Who are the Kraken?

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
JustTheTip":1xbdd7ks said:
Hockey Guy":1xbdd7ks said:

Who are the Kraken?

Seattle's new NHL team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3uvcnuii said:
Mizak":3uvcnuii said:
Basically if an NFL team is playing the Cowboys, Stealers, Patriots, or Packers, expect a flag fest.
Pretty much. Legacy teams have big fanbases. Teams with big fanbases buy lots of playoff/super bowl merch. More merch sold = more $$$ for the NFL coffers.

I don’t believe the NFL fixes games on a regular basis (XL* being an exception) but they sure as hell try to steer games to “desired results” for the legacy teams. If bad officiating bothered them they would have fixed it by now. It’s not a bug it’s a feature. That’s the reason why it would piss me off when the Hawks of the past wouldn’t put teams away and take the “zebra factor” out of the game late.

It’s crappy business model and I don’t agree with it but it’s simple economics from their standpoint.

These are always interesting fan takes for me.

So does the league send secret sealed directions to the referee's association each year or each game as to which games or teams they'd like them to cheat for?

Or is it more of a "you just know" wink wink nudge nudge thing, that when the refs start each year they look at their game calendar and see which games they have to try and "steer" based on some long standing unspoken rules within their union?

OR...........is it the fact that fans project and only have tunnel vision on their teams, and that irrationally gets the better of them when calls don't go their team's way?

For instance, the creation of this thread by a fan who thought the Hawk's didn't get enough calls........and the fact that other than NE, none of the so called blue blood franchises have sniffed the SB in a very long time.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Speaking of refs, there was one thing I noticed that bodes well for improved refereeing in the future: Tyler Lockett practicing to become one after his playing days are over.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":zsg36rzu said:
Yeah, I didn't really notice them much at all on Sunday. I thought the DK thing was very ticky tack, along with one ridiculous PI when the ball was 10 yards over the receivers head. But overall, they were fine.
The play where Adam’s was called offside where he got the sack was bogus as well. Corbin Smith has the video on Twitter, the clock was clearly at zero before he crossed the line of scrimmage. It should have been a delay of game penalty on Indy, or a sack.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. Seems like he timed it perfectly. Later on it benefited the Hawks when it looked to be a full second late and they didn't call a delay. Ended up in a huge sack.

sutz

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the clock you see on the TV screen is not the "official" play clock. I believe the Umpire carries that. ;)

mikeak

Reaction score
Adams was not offside. Disregarding the clock he went before ball was snapped, but never crossed the plane of the ball

Was told I was wrong in the GameDay chat (RIP Radish), but clearly incorrect call on the field

Now those calls happen, but that could have been huge

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The holding J63 mentions is true..I'm at the game and looked at the replays
on the Jumbo screen,I was telling my brother look at this BS and it wasn't
getting called.I almost thought I watching a Cowboys game.

Latest posts