Refs missed blatant facemask on Denver's game-tying TD

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
That's less blatant than the choke hold on Bennett when Manning completed the long pass to Sanders on that drive. I'm technologically challenged so no link or vid...but if someone can find it, it looks like MB would have had a sack pretty easily. Again, Michael Jordan rules for Manning.

lsheldon

Reaction score
I was amazed at how much holding the Donko's O-Line got away with that game. Didn't see that play though.

seahawksteve

Reaction score
if you look closer at the replay, bennett is being bear hugged while trying to make a spin move. they missed that too.

Laloosh

Reaction score
SoCalSeahawk":3r91222y said:
That's less blatant than the choke hold on Bennett when Manning completed the long pass to Sanders on that drive. I'm technologically challenged so no link or vid...but if someone can find it, it looks like MB would have had a sack pretty easily. Again, Michael Jordan rules for Manning.

You mean this one? Yeah, the guy literally had him wrapped up like that until Manning stepped up into the pocket (passed Bennette) and then he finally let it go once Manning was throwing the ball.

Attachments

• Bennette_01.gif
    Bennette_01.gif
    103.7 KB · Views: 2,241

seabowl

Reaction score
I just don't see a face mask with this replay. Obrien spins low and the guys hand rubs across the facemask. At no point do I see him grabbing on though.

ivotuk

Reaction score
seabowl":29bsk2rk said:
I just don't see a face mask with this replay. Obrien spins low and the guys hand rubs across the facemask. At no point do I see him grabbing on though.

That's what I'm seeing too, I don't see the fingers get in to the face mask. But my vision's not what it used to be. :les:

It should have been "hands to the face" though.

There's another almost sack by Bennett where the RT has his right hand inside the shoulder pads of Michael's left armpit. Plain as day.

I'm pretty sure they were protecting Peyton and I have no issue as long as it's not called on either side. I saw one play where Okung had both hands around Ware's back, placed right on his shoulder blades which should have been holding.

Exittium

Reaction score
As stupid as this sounds.. im going to say the refs were handed a given a little leeway, and memo that said let them play, keep it close. Because if they would have been called for all the holds they were getting away with and this as well.. the score would NOT have been as close as it was. And I firmly believe we would have seen a similar Superbowl score, with probably denver even lower in score tbh.

Most the "missed" calls were about as obvious as it gets and blatant. Denver's defense maybe better then last year, but this year here on out, they'll be in cap hell. for the 1st 3 qtr's we dominated them. The NFL didn't want that. they'd lose money while losing viewers. Keep it close, keep the viewers interest, and roll in the big bucks.

TLDR: Denver got lucky, because the score is very misleading. We dominate and they still looked like the same shit team from the SB.

Edit: TJ Ward's still a shitbag

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Laloosh":3syz1gfn said:
Two officials looking in that general direction. Interesting (at the very least) that it wasn't called. Oh well, we won.

They were too busy staring at Manning and his Miracle Drive.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
seabowl":3oyqokwv said:

I agree, I thought it was incidental contact with the facemask. Could have been called because it was borderline, but not an automatic penalty.

For it to be a grabbing the facemask penalty, there has to be an actual twisting, turning, or pulling of the facemask.

For a hands to the face penalty, there has to be a "thrust forward" to the face.

I didn't see either of these happen on this play.

Tical21

Reaction score
We win, we whine, we lose, we whine. Geez. Oh my goodness, NOT AN UNCALLED FACEMASK!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
ivotuk":uhlrotu3 said:
seabowl":uhlrotu3 said:

That's what I'm seeing too, I don't see the fingers get in to the face mask. But my vision's not what it used to be. :les:

It should have been "hands to the face" though.

There's another almost sack by Bennett where the RT has his right hand inside the shoulder pads of Michael's left armpit. Plain as day.

I'm pretty sure they were protecting Peyton and I have no issue as long as it's not called on either side. I saw one play where Okung had both hands around Ware's back, placed right on his shoulder blades which should have been holding.

The hand is hidden behind the helmet, but Schofield's body language (head jerked, neck briefly extended, immediate change in direction) is enough for me to believe there was some definite grab and pull.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
hawknation2014":22lfq56w said:
seabowl":22lfq56w said:

I agree, I thought it was incidental contact with the facemask. Could have been called because it was borderline, but not an automatic penalty.

For it to be a grabbing the facemask penalty, there has to be an actual twisting, turning, or pulling of the facemask.

For a hands to the face penalty, there has to be a "thrust forward" to the face.

I didn't see either of these happen on this play.

Wish you could pause that and take a closer look. To me it looks like the defender absolutely thrust his hand towards Scho's face and even catches the edge of his face mask. Scho's head is also moved backwards towards the direction of the hand. If he didn't get his fingers into the mask he at minimum thrust his hand enough to move Scho's head.

If that isn't convincing enough after Scho gets back up and progresses towrds Manning, the defender literally dives at his legs. There was absolutely zero ability to apply any kind of block with Scho already having the defender completely behind him so there can only be one assumption and that is if he could have gotten his hands around Scho's legs he had every intention of grabbing them.

I think for most of the game they let the teams play but I also think on that last drive anything short of gunfire wasn't going to get called against Denver. Seattle demoralizing the Bronco's again would have been very bad business for the league and if you think they don't care about that then ask yourself why by far the most interesting game of the season and definitely the most prime time worthy was not a nationally televised game.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3ofa7isw said:
I mean yes, they missed a face mask.. but it had no effect on the play itself.

Huh ? That's a facemask, or at the very least illegal hands to the face. The former is a 15 yard penalty, and you bring the TD back. The latter is a 10 yard penalty, and you bring the TD back. How does that not effect the play?

This crap keeps up, and the only way the NFL will pay attention to it is if a high profile Dlineman gets hurt. There has been so much blatant holding and outright tackling of DLmen by OL in the NFL this year, it's completely obvious that NFL just isn't going to call holding much anymore.

OP
OP
253hawk

253hawk

Reaction score
Tical21":3ak5o82z said:
We win, we whine, we lose, we whine. Geez. Oh my goodness, NOT AN UNCALLED FACEMASK!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

It was just more of an observation. I mean I don't know how an OL can go two games without a single penalty against our pass rush (aside from the obvious tripping penalty in the SB that 100 million people saw.)

What other QB's besides the NFL's golden boys have the refs keep their flags in their pockets on game-deciding drives?

(Ignore the telestrator circle)
patriotway_medium.gif

Donko Dorks want to whine about OT, yet there's plenty of little things that point toward the game never really being that close in the first place.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":26r5d905 said:
Between that and the fumble we were screwed on, this game should not have been as close as it was...

Meh, that non-fumble didn't end up being a huge deal. The Broncos went 3 and out on that drive and the Hawks went down and scored a TD on the very next drive, leaving only 12 seconds on the clock before the half.

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":yqqyxjcq said:
SoCalSeahawk":yqqyxjcq said:

You mean this one? Yeah, the guy literally had him wrapped up like that until Manning stepped up into the pocket (passed Bennette) and then he finally let it go once Manning was throwing the ball.

That's the play. I need confirmation that I wasn't seeing this through ocular blue and green. I understand that the officials can't see everything, but this was felonious!

OP
OP
253hawk

253hawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":ohaqdwc1 said:
SoCalSeahawk":ohaqdwc1 said:

post-30001-ENHANCE-gif-Super-Troopers-Img-iSmj.gif

suppaball

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":1b3hkvcj said:
There are penalties that happen on every play...

BUT

Never, have I seen so many egregious, game changing penalties go uncalled this year. And I'm not just talking about For/Against the Seahawks. The NFL really needs to figure this out. Don't get me wrong, I know it will never be perfect, but damn, there are way too many bad calls/non-calls that take place in big situations.
Egregiously listening to Steven A. Smith I see.

TwilightError

Reaction score
There is nothing unclear in that facemask grab...

Anyway, sometimes they miss these and no use for whining. Broncos got incredibly lucky when Marcus Burley got injured in the beginning of that drive and Josh Thomas had to step in. There is no way they could have ran that same route many times in a row if there was not huge confusion in that side of the Seahawks secondary. But it has to be said that they took the advantage and used it well. If they had gotten the ball in OT, the Seahawks would likely have fixed that problem already.