Re: KJ Wright Signs 4 year extension UPDATED WITH BREAKDOWN

Cartire

Reaction score
Scottemojo":lk100m7v said:
Tical21":lk100m7v said:
Not a KJ Hater by any stretch, actually think he is one of the best 4-3 OLB's in the game without question.

That said, there is no reason I ever (well, almost ever, Von Miller is pretty sweet) pay a 4-3 OLB this kind of money. It just isn't necessary. The difference between KJ and the average 4-3 OLB is pretty negligible. IMO there are at least 18 more important positions in your starting lineup.

I don't think this costs them Russell or Wagner, but I do think it costs them any chance at bringing in a stud WR (not that they really had a great chance at doing so anyways) or a big name interior lineman.
I guess that is part of it for me too. OLB is a bit fungible. Not for Curry, but for most.

Is it possible that yet again, Pete is showing everyone that the "accepted" mentality of defenses is not always correct. We dominate the run and screens on the outside all the time. Were constantly praised for this. Pundits say all the time how were too fast to run to the outside. A huge part of that is our OLB's. Maybe were seeing yet another paradigm shift in the PC regime.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
pehawk":3gc1cacx said:
DavidSeven":3gc1cacx said:
I don't agree that KJ is the most burnable LB. He's gotten killed on a couple wheel routes and obviously by Gates, but I'd hard-pressed to find a number of other instances where he was straight up burned in coverage. In fact, I might even wager that Wagner has been burned in more individual instances. However, Wagner comes up with more flash plays in the run game and as a blizter, so I think people overlook it a bit (which is fair). That being said, the fact that Wright almost always gets the assignment on TE1 in man-situations speaks volumes on what the staff thinks of his ability to cover relative to other players.

I don't think anyone, or at least me, disagrees with anything you said. I don't hold the Philly TD against him, shit happens. But, IMO, speedy LB's are fairly easy to replace. And of the 3 LB's, or even core front 7, KJ is the most the one who impacts things the least.

Dib's point was brilliant. I actually am now more intrigued and willing to change my stance on KJ because of this. I trust the regime that much.

That's fair. Heading into this season, I thought they'd cycle out all their LBs and continue to draft SPARQy replacements. Wagner's value in the run game and KJ's extension have definitely changed my thinking on that.

Now I think they go cheap on base DT (bargain vets) and possibly RCB (Simon in; Maxwell out).

Gametime

Reaction score
Why is everyone discounting the assets of chemistry and attitude. We marvel at the beauty of the defense and it works like it does because of the unity and dedication to the craft of many of its members. The BEST teams in the history of sports had guys like K.J. that didn't really flash but were integral to the success of their organization.

Percy Harvin is gifted physically in ways that are unbelievable. You can't dispute his "flashy" ability to do the spectacular. But this team was much much better kicking his divisiveness to the curb. Read Pete's comments about K.J. It's not about flash, it's about fit. It's about will and heart and work ethic. They aren't necessarily buying stats but rather they are buying a known contributor and maybe in ways behind the scenes that we will never know about.

Why people would sit in wonder and high five the things this defense does and then be shocked at signing a member of that unit that the coaching staff and FO feel is key to it is beyond me. Yes there are guys that we still need to sign but I'm pretty sure that good ole JS knows how to use a calculator and this isn't his first rodeo. He and Pete are no doubt thinking 3-5 yrs down the road with every decision they make. It's what makes this era in Seahawks sports so special and important.

This machine wasn't built in a day by luck and it will take more than one signing to change that.

Chill. Grab a beer. Enjoy the moment people.

Congrats to a young man who just got paid. He earned it.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
somewhat confused by this maneuver, wright has been up and down this season, especially in coverage, and also especially vs quick running backs :229031_confused2:

hawkfan68":7tfff7pt said:
IMO, this extension for KJ could mean that Cliff Avril may not be re-signed in the off-season.

not only that, but it could mean a whole lot of things

it could mean no more 'bane or no more maxwell. and although we dont know the full details of the deal yet, an overpay on wright or someone else between now and the offseason could diminish the chances of getting a legit anchor on the offensive line or a true #1 receiver. and the 2015 free agent receiver class is surely shaping up to be the best one in a long time. dez bryant, deamaryius thomas, randall cobb, and jeremy maclin are all free agents after this season. + factor in cuts like vincent jackson and trade bait like josh gordon. ridiculous options, and id hate for us to lose out on all of them :pukeface:

Laloosh

Reaction score
This a sign that we are going to draft more heavily on offense? I'm a little surprised that they spent on KJ.

TXHawk

Reaction score
Haven't some of you people figured out by now that when a new NFL contract is reported as x years for umpteen million dollars that the player almost never gets paid all that money? When we get the full details of Wright's contract it will be a near certaintity that only part of it will be guaranteed and it will be structured in a way that the team can restructure it or cut Wright with little dead money left by year four. The cap hit the first couple of years isn't likely to be anywhere near $6+ million and it won't restrict Schneider from locking up any of the other players that he and Carroll have identified as their core group.

Chill.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Basis4day":17zhc8fy said:
pehawk":17zhc8fy said:
Well, obviously they're the experts, not me. But, he seemed to be the easiest and cheapest to replace. He's is little to negative impact without Wagner. He was ABYSMAL in the KC game...putrid...awful...find a thesaurus for more adjectives for "bad".

And he played lights out last year against the Saints and shut down Jimmy Graham in coverage. No one game defines a player.

KJ was huge in that NO playoff game, erasing Jimmy Graham. In SD, that whole game was a lights-out fluke by SD and Rivers and Gates, in roasting heat. Will never happen again.

KJ all the way. He's our guy. The great thing is guys like KPL will see this and be motivated to work their asses off. Yeah, Malcolm Smith probably gets a nice contract somewhere else. But if he does, he leaves with a ring and an heir apparent.

themunn

Reaction score
KJ isn't having his best year, but he's still playing great as far as OLBs go.

Yeah this might make him the highest paid 4-3 OLB in the game. But I had a look at the rest of the 4-3 OLBs in the game and he's arguably one of the best, Von Miller is may

Hell, Overthecap has David Hawthorne as the 10th highest paid OLB (and 3 of the top 10 are still in their rookie deals), and KJ is a significantly better LBer than Heater ever was.

For all the talk of KPL being an adequate replacement for Wright, remember this - Wright is actually earning LESS this year than KPL, despite being a cornerstone of the defense missing just 4 games in 4 years (i.e. playing more games than any player not named Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman or Marshawn Lynch). Yeah, it's a "what can you do for me" not a "what have you done for me" league. But you don't ditch a guy like that unless he looks like he's dropping off, and that's certainly not the case for KJ. He's earned this deal and fully deserves it.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Cartire":2v7w3r9y said:
Scottemojo":2v7w3r9y said:
Tical21":2v7w3r9y said:
Not a KJ Hater by any stretch, actually think he is one of the best 4-3 OLB's in the game without question.

That said, there is no reason I ever (well, almost ever, Von Miller is pretty sweet) pay a 4-3 OLB this kind of money. It just isn't necessary. The difference between KJ and the average 4-3 OLB is pretty negligible. IMO there are at least 18 more important positions in your starting lineup.

I don't think this costs them Russell or Wagner, but I do think it costs them any chance at bringing in a stud WR (not that they really had a great chance at doing so anyways) or a big name interior lineman.
I guess that is part of it for me too. OLB is a bit fungible. Not for Curry, but for most.

Is it possible that yet again, Pete is showing everyone that the "accepted" mentality of defenses is not always correct. We dominate the run and screens on the outside all the time. Were constantly praised for this. Pundits say all the time how were too fast to run to the outside. A huge part of that is our OLB's. Maybe were seeing yet another paradigm shift in the PC regime.
Not only possible, I'd say it's pretty obvious now.
My thought is that KJ is not only a solid player, despite lacking the speed we see from all the other LBs that come through Seattle, he might be one of those that lives Pete's All In mantra to the extent that he teaches new draftees. An extension of Pete and Norton. Which would explain his ID as a core guy despite playing a fairly easily replaced position.

getnasty

Reaction score
Caps going up, we're losing Percy's contract and the next 4 years will be KJ's best years of his career.

sc85sis

Reaction score
http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/With+e ... story.html

Wright is leading Seattle with 96 tackles this season - already a career-high - has two sacks and three forced fumbles. He's started all 14 games, including three at middle linebacker when Bobby Wagner was out with a foot injury.

Wright is also playing more than at any other point in his career. According to STATS, Wright has been on the field for 95.8 per cent of the defensive snaps this season, the highest total of his career.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1bpi920c said:

Can you repeat the question?

I just wrote up a really thoughtful, hypothetical grade-A post. Unfortunately it was Tokadubesque in length and so when I clicked submit I'd been automatically logged out. Lost everything. It made me think about how many times that must have happened to Tokadub, who in being one of the less rational posters on this board, must have flipped his shit. I then became surprisingly at peace with my misfortune/negligence.

Anyway, you get the short and shite version. We're locking up the D (we've got Sherm, Thomas, Chancellor, Bennett and KJ for the next three years) Bobby will be soon, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Byron next. Bruce's fifth year option should be activated and Mebane's contract looks ripe for an extension with a lower cap hit.

Expect an offense-heavy draft. I wouldn't be surprised if we started getting aggressive, we'll have plenty of picks.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HansGruber":3bds63z3 said:
I'm not arguing with anyone, Pe. I'm openly laughing at the people on this forum who think they can watch a broadcast of a professional football game on TV, and think that makes them an expert on professional football scouting, coaching and management.

It is literally the equivalent of some stoner watching a heart surgery on cable TV, and then pontificating to their elderly father on why he shouldn't have that triple bypass. Never mind your cardiologist... I watch cable TV, I'm an expert!!

Simple fact - you and Scotte and everyone else on this forum doesn't have the slightest shred of knowledge about our players or how they perform, or how they will be graded by the coaching staff. Sure, you know when someone's really good (Wilson) or really bad (Whitehurst). But outside of those very extremes, you literally don't know anything. And it's hilarious listening to you guys pontificate as if you really do know what you're talking about. As if you are qualified to comment on any contract. You don't speak to the agents, you don't speak to the coaches, you don't speak to the scouts. You don't have the first clue what that player's value is, and it's hilariously pretentious to even pretend that you do. Especially when you add the passive-agressive attempts at martyrdom.

I'll be excited about the signing because Pete Carroll is excited about it. Pete Carroll has won multiple championships at multiple levels of the sport. He will be in the Hall of Fame. People will talk about his greatness 50 years after his death. You are a random nobody on the internet. I'll stick with the people who get paid for their expertise, and that doesn't include anyone on this forum.
Pete Carroll and John Schneider also brought in/traded for Percy Harvin and Charlie Whitehurst and Lendale White and.......and.....many other non-contributing players in to this team. They makes mistakes. They're human. It's possible paying KJ this kind of coin is a mistake but just as possible it isn't.

Time and KJ's level of play will tell if it was a mistake or not. What they do that so many other FOs don't, is admit their mistakes and move on rather than wallow in their own ego and try to continue to justify said mistakes by keeping these players to the detriment of the franchise.

There was a really good thread on just this tiopic started by BirdsCommaAngry a few weeks back btw.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Gametime":adrkkqqi said:
Why is everyone discounting the assets of chemistry and attitude. We marvel at the beauty of the defense and it works like it does because of the unity and dedication to the craft of many of its members. The BEST teams in the history of sports had guys like K.J. that didn't really flash but were integral to the success of their organization.

Percy Harvin is gifted physically in ways that are unbelievable. You can't dispute his "flashy" ability to do the spectacular. But this team was much much better kicking his divisiveness to the curb. Read Pete's comments about K.J. It's not about flash, it's about fit. It's about will and heart and work ethic. They aren't necessarily buying stats but rather they are buying a known contributor and maybe in ways behind the scenes that we will never know about.

Why people would sit in wonder and high five the things this defense does and then be shocked at signing a member of that unit that the coaching staff and FO feel is key to it is beyond me. Yes there are guys that we still need to sign but I'm pretty sure that good ole JS knows how to use a calculator and this isn't his first rodeo. He and Pete are no doubt thinking 3-5 yrs down the road with every decision they make. It's what makes this era in Seahawks sports so special and important.

This machine wasn't built in a day by luck and it will take more than one signing to change that.

Chill. Grab a beer. Enjoy the moment people.

Congrats to a young man who just got paid. He earned it.

Very good post, rook. I'll grab that beer for you.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3qjwx62q said:
Pete Carroll and John Schneider also brought in/traded for Percy Harvin and Charlie Whitehurst and Lendale White and.......and.....many other non-contributing players in to this team. They makes mistakes. They're human. It's possible paying KJ this kind of coin is a mistake but just as possible it isn't.

HUGE difference in the two scenarios... you should know better than that... :D

jlwaters1

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1zweokdp said:
Scottemojo":1zweokdp said:
gowazzu02":1zweokdp said:
my last post on the topic. to those that dont like the deal, thats fair your welcome to your on opinion. Ill just say I trust JS and pc.........
percy-harvin.jpg

Ok so i lied that wasn't my last post.. Do I expect them to be perfect? No. I can find other mistakes of various levels. But go find me a team that makes zero mistakes, that hits on picks like this organization does and has been as close to back to back super bowl apperances? Ill wait.......................

Why do you need to bash this organization right now? This is the absolute pinacle of the franchise. They have never been to this level and you feel the need to bash. I honestly feel sorry for you you can't enjoy this.
I look at it as without Percy, you now have the cash for a Kj Wright. So there is some positive from cutting ties with Harvin.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":1lz5pyu3 said:
hawksfansinceday1":1lz5pyu3 said:

:D

I guess my point is one that Pe already made. The purpose of this place is that it's a discussion forum and people are going to have differing views and reasonable discussion on both sides of an 'issue' is what makes a place like this worth visiting/contributing to. The FO isn't always right. Tim Ruskell proved that ad naseum.

TXHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":x2em7wet said:
LawlessHawk":x2em7wet said:
hawksfansinceday1":x2em7wet said:

:D

I guess my point is one that Pe already made. The purpose of this place is that it's a discussion forum and people are going to have differing views and reasonable discussion on both sides of an 'issue' is what makes a place like this worth visiting/contributing to. The FO isn't always right. Tim Ruskell proved that ad naseum.

Carroll and Schneider have both proven to be far superior to Ruskell in talent evaluation and have had nearly four full seasons to evaluate KJ Wright and have decided he is one of their core group they want to lock up. This is a relatively low risk extension since they know exactly what they have in him and what to expect in the future. It's not a boom or bust signing like Harvin was.