Ratings down...

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":32roqqzn said:
chris98251":32roqqzn said:
All you have to do is look at the Super Bowl thread, how many said they were not going to watch.
People say a lot of things. What they actually do is oftentimes different.

Yep.

Great example of that was how two years ago ratings were way down (and going farther down each week) through week 8 of the season, but then shot back up in week 9 and it's like the first 8 weeks of the season never happened.

All that was happening was that the Presidential election happened between Weeks 8 and 9, and whenever there's a presidential election ratings for everything else go down because people are focusing on it. That happens every four years.

Of course though, in a nationally representative survey of NFL watchers at the end of the season everyone said that the presidential election had no effect on their NFL viewing, but that was just as untrue two years ago as it is for every election.

As is Roland's point, what people say and what they do are often VERY different things. :2thumbs:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1c1ls87i said:
chris98251":1c1ls87i said:
All you have to do is look at the Super Bowl thread, how many said they were not going to watch.
People say a lot of things. What they actually do is oftentimes different. How many people that aren't fans of either team will avoid watching the Super Bowl this year, but watched it last year, assuming they aren't fans of either of last year's teams?

Pretty small percentage, I'd bet.

I don't even count the SB into what we consider successful or unsuccessful ratings. It's a global telecast that I'd wager the LARGE majority of people watching aren't even football fans.

So anyone that tells me they aren't watching are just bitter, trying to make a statement or one of those hipsters who feels the need to tell EVERYONE how cool they are that they don't even care about what everyone else cares about.

You see them every year on social media saying "OMG is there a game today?"

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ljxdftt said:
I don't even count the SB into what we consider successful or unsuccessful ratings. It's a global telecast that I'd wager the LARGE majority of people watching aren't even football fans.

So anyone that tells me they aren't watching are just bitter, trying to make a statement or one of those hipsters who feels the need to tell EVERYONE how cool they are that they don't even care about what everyone else cares about.

You see them every year on social media saying "OMG is there a game today?"
Seriously! They need to shut up and go back to eating the free food that was made for them by the person hosting the Super Bowl party they're attending and leeching off of while purposely not watching the game while posting on the Internet about how proud they are to not know about football.

chris98251

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":knzgkrw0 said:
chris98251":knzgkrw0 said:
People say a lot of things. What they actually do is oftentimes different. How many people that aren't fans of either team will avoid watching the Super Bowl this year, but watched it last year, assuming they aren't fans of either of last year's teams?

Pretty small percentage, I'd bet.

SO their LIARS!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":t5xwzook said:
chris98251":t5xwzook said:
But the scale would still be fine if all media across the board is measured the same way, the percentages should maintain a basic across the board level since streaming would be done for all television by those individuals.

The percentage of people watching the NFL on a channel in Nielson versus watching Judge Judy would be consistent, the streamers would be out of that evaluation. Now measuring viewership based on total households / boxes tuned to a channel counted may be a lot different since they can with digital now tell who is on what channel any given time.

Headcount may be down but I think percentage should be consistent.

Yep, meaning the NFL is even a little more resilient to broadcast viewing than it should be, as it's declining at a slower rate than everything else.

I'm guessing this is because it's "event" viewing in a way other stuff isn't, and because most people most of the time are most interested in watching the local team in their local market, which you don't need cable to do.

Just speaking for personal experience here, but I cord cut five or six years ago and have an antenna hooked up to my TV just to watch NFL games -- it doesn't even really cross my mind to use my TV as a TV outside of the NFL (meaning, I'm not randomly flipping through my six channels to see what's on), as all the other TV watching I do is either through various paid portals or is pirated -- I'll even wait an hour to download a show that's on because the NFL is the only thing I want to watch in real-time enough to make sitting through the commercials worth it.
I cut cable/Sat years ago...Screw them!
I used digital antenna for a few years ..Still have it but with Wi Fi I ended up buying a firestick..
Wow is all I can say..Tons of free tv/movies in there or if you pay it is way below any cable and less hassle.
I can watch the Thursday games free through it..Hoping the NFL one day will break from that Direct TV crap and
go this route where I can buy any game I want to see that isn't national.

original poster

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3joidgja said:
Popeyejones":3joidgja said:
chris98251":3joidgja said:
But the scale would still be fine if all media across the board is measured the same way, the percentages should maintain a basic across the board level since streaming would be done for all television by those individuals.

The percentage of people watching the NFL on a channel in Nielson versus watching Judge Judy would be consistent, the streamers would be out of that evaluation. Now measuring viewership based on total households / boxes tuned to a channel counted may be a lot different since they can with digital now tell who is on what channel any given time.

Yep, meaning the NFL is even a little more resilient to broadcast viewing than it should be, as it's declining at a slower rate than everything else.

I'm guessing this is because it's "event" viewing in a way other stuff isn't, and because most people most of the time are most interested in watching the local team in their local market, which you don't need cable to do.

Just speaking for personal experience here, but I cord cut five or six years ago and have an antenna hooked up to my TV just to watch NFL games -- it doesn't even really cross my mind to use my TV as a TV outside of the NFL (meaning, I'm not randomly flipping through my six channels to see what's on), as all the other TV watching I do is either through various paid portals or is pirated -- I'll even wait an hour to download a show that's on because the NFL is the only thing I want to watch in real-time enough to make sitting through the commercials worth it.
I used digital antenna for a few years ..Still have it but with Wi Fi I ended up buying a firestick..
Wow is all I can say..Tons of free tv/movies in there or if you pay it is way below any cable and less hassle.
I can watch the Thursday games free through it..Hoping the NFL one day will break from that Direct TV crap and

They do, NFL Game Pass.

I've been using it for years. It is excellent. Want to watch the entire 2013 season? Fire up Game Pass.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
original poster":ohh62klz said:
IndyHawk":ohh62klz said:
Popeyejones":ohh62klz said:
chris98251":ohh62klz said:

They do, NFL Game Pass.

I've been using it for years. It is excellent. Want to watch the entire 2013 season? Fire up Game Pass.
I can never watch anything except the "Godfather"more than once lol.
A game when I know the outcome?Just not for me.I know some use it to study the team in numerous ways
like the blocking ect.
I leave that up to you guys,I enjoy reading the random thoughts on it though :)

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Ratings are down almost everywhere when it comes to television. I think I just saw that the Grammy's ratings went down 20%, which is a lot.

I think the obvious reason is we are living in an age of technology and streaming. I know so many people who don't have cable TV because they stream using Netflix and other streaming platforms.

original poster

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2msvmwaq said:
original poster":2msvmwaq said:
IndyHawk":2msvmwaq said:
Popeyejones":2msvmwaq said:

They do, NFL Game Pass.

A game when I know the outcome?Just not for me.I know some use it to study the team in numerous ways
like the blocking ect.

You can, of course, watch the games live as well.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
original poster":3knhyx6e said:
IndyHawk":3knhyx6e said:
original poster":3knhyx6e said:
IndyHawk":3knhyx6e said:

They do, NFL Game Pass.

like the blocking ect.

Unless they changed it, you can only watch live regular seasom games if youre outside the US.

original poster

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":vua6f25u said:
original poster":vua6f25u said:
IndyHawk":vua6f25u said:
original poster":vua6f25u said:
They do, NFL Game Pass.

like the blocking ect.

Unless they changed it, you can only watch live regular seasom games if youre outside the US.

Oh wow.

I use the UK version of GamePass whereby the only games that are blacked out are one early and one late game that is shown on Sky Sports. Very easily sorted with a VPN, though.

Saying that of the times I’ve needed to watch a game via VPN I’m sure I’ve set it to the States so maybe they have changed it.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seattle's Super Bowl appearances in 2014 and 2015 remain the two most watched television broadcasts in U.S. history. No other broadcast has ever topped 112 million viewers, according to Nielsen.

You're welcome, NBC and Fox.

original poster

Reaction score

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
Don't care didn't watch, hype for SB to much :les:

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Illegal streaming probably hurts, but who is going to get Direct TV when you can get every nfl game for free?

Furthermore, the NFL’s OWN playoff streams were less reliable than the illegal bootlegs (Inknow, I used both, including Verizon, the NFL app, AND the yahoo stream, and the bootlegs were universally more reliable and as good or better quality).

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":ex8rbh8z said:
Illegal streaming probably hurts, but who is going to get Direct TV when you can get every nfl game for free?

Furthermore, the NFL’s OWN playoff streams were less reliable than the illegal bootlegs (Inknow, I used both, including Verizon, the NFL app, AND the yahoo stream, and the bootlegs were universally more reliable and as good or better quality).
Yep

Popeyejones

Reaction score
IndyHawk":36zl8yvw said:
Popeyejones":36zl8yvw said:
chris98251":36zl8yvw said:

Unless the NFL is willing to take a huge bath on revenue generated a la carte is going to be much more expensive than people think it will be. NFL games are the most expensive license in town. Basically everyone who has cable and doesn’t watch football is subsidizing the viewership of NFL fans. Once all the people who don’t watch ESPN aren’t each paying 8 bucks a month in carriage fees for you to get ESPN the people who want to watch MNF would have to pay through the nose.

It’s a thing people think they want, but don’t really want. If you have cable just to watch channels with low carriage fees and cheap programming you’re getting screwed massively by the bundling of channels and programming, whereas if you just have cable to watch the NFL, NBA, Walking Dead, etc (i.e. expensive programming) you’re coming out way ahead.