Random Thoughts For The Philly Game

falcongoggles

Reaction score
1. The toughest opponent today was the Seahawks. Dropped TD by Metcalf, Russ overthrows Hollister in the corner, Carson's two fumbles, etc. This could have easily been a blowout. I'm happy the Hawks beat the spread to placate the betting gods.

2. Player safety is applied unevenly. Last week the refs whistle Russ' forward progress dead when it clearly wasn't. This week Hollister's forward momentum is clearly stopped and they let the play run. One player was wrapped around his legs while he is on his knees and another player comes in and top ropes him. I was amazed he didn't get injured as he was violently bent backwards.

3. The game never felt in danger, tbh. It felt eerily similar to the Falcons game in which the score was close at the end, but the momentum and control were clearly with the Hawks.

4. The defense went from giving up 58 points in the last two weeks to just nine. I'd love to believe that the Seahawks turned the corner, but I think this is more on Philly being inept.

5. Something HAS changed on defense. The line is getting pressure much more often. The DBs aren't giving up a 10-yard pad (so painful) and Diggs is doing a great job simulating ET.

6. Russ is still taking some bad sacks. I think he is addicted to the high of slinging a ball deep and getting a nice explosive/chunk play. That said, you can't sit back for five seconds and scan the field and then crumble when getting hit. Throw it away, my guy.

7. I'm less worried about DK's hands than I am with Russ underthrowing balls 10-20 yards deep near the sidelines. DK has had to come back on the left sideline a number of times due to underthrown balls. Every time people pile on him for not winning 50/50 balls whereas I'm putting it on Russ. Today, Hollister was on the receiving end of a similar play, but up the right sideline. Russ, work on that.

Bonus bold prediction - Diggs will have an ET-level year next season with the Hawks. I always said that Earl would've had double the picks if he had even average hands. Seems like Diggs has a nose for the ball, covers ground quickly and can actually catch.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I wonder if the wind factored into the errant throws. The deep balls I could see, though I would think that over throw to Hollister would have been affected by the wind.

John63

Reaction score
falcongoggles":2jc74wky said:
1. The toughest opponent today was the Seahawks. Dropped TD by Metcalf, Russ overthrows Hollister in the corner, Carson's two fumbles, etc. This could have easily been a blowout. I'm happy the Hawks beat the spread to placate the betting gods.

2. Player safety is applied unevenly. Last week the refs whistle Russ' forward progress dead when it clearly wasn't. This week Hollister's forward momentum is clearly stopped and they let the play run. One player was wrapped around his legs while he is on his knees and another player comes in and top ropes him. I was amazed he didn't get injured as he was violently bent backwards.

3. The game never felt in danger, tbh. It felt eerily similar to the Falcons game in which the score was close at the end, but the momentum and control were clearly with the Hawks.

4. The defense went from giving up 58 points in the last two weeks to just nine. I'd love to believe that the Seahawks turned the corner, but I think this is more on Philly being inept.

5. Something HAS changed on defense. The line is getting pressure much more often. The DBs aren't giving up a 10-yard pad (so painful) and Diggs is doing a great job simulating ET.

6. Russ is still taking some bad sacks. I think he is addicted to the high of slinging a ball deep and getting a nice explosive/chunk play. That said, you can't sit back for five seconds and scan the field and then crumble when getting hit. Throw it away, my guy.

7. I'm less worried about DK's hands than I am with Russ underthrowing balls 10-20 yards deep near the sidelines. DK has had to come back on the left sideline a number of times due to underthrown balls. Every time people pile on him for not winning 50/50 balls whereas I'm putting it on Russ. Today, Hollister was on the receiving end of a similar play, but up the right sideline. Russ, work on that.

Bonus bold prediction - Diggs will have an ET-level year next season with the Hawks. I always said that Earl would've had double the picks if he had even average hands. Seems like Diggs has a nose for the ball, covers ground quickly and can actually catch.

It's all Wilsona fault, and you did a great job of enforcing that. Since according to you all the offensive issues are Wilson time to trade him. FYG

Polk738

Reaction score
Wind was a definite factor near the goal, you could see it in Russ's throw, Wentz's throw and even Philly's FG kick. Even Dickson's first punt was shitty due to the wind today, sometimes you just have to take what you can get and hope you come out on top in the end which they did.

cymatica

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1nm419ul said:

Back end of the defense looks like they are playing tighter, helping out the d line a lot.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
John63":3sppc0j2 said:
falcongoggles":3sppc0j2 said:

It's all Wilsona fault, and you did a great job of enforcing that. Since according to you all the offensive issues are Wilson timw to trade him. FYG
Hey there John, did you hear Pete say in his post game presser that the TD catch by Turner was a tough one? I'm thinking if Pete Carroll supports my position on that catch and not your contention that all it took was a perfect throw I was likely correct. You know based on coverage a throw can be perfect (which was the title of MY thread) and a catch still be difficult. But in your rush to denigrate me and rescue Russ from every perceived slight on this board (like you have done on this thread as well) you failed to see that. Oh, and I'm still waiting to hear if you ever played receiver in football and tried to make an over the head catch like that and like I did a couple times, successfully once and unsuccessfully once.

getnasty

Reaction score
Russ holding on to the ball is a blessing and a curse. Seems like it works out sometimes and he makes a big play out of nothing or he takes a sack and kills the drive.

xray

Reaction score
Two games in a row that the D outplayed the O . I like the fact that the defense is improving at the best time of the season ; but the offense looks to be digressing during the same time . Too many sacks --dropped passes--fumbles--and penalties . Wentz played like a 3rd string QB and the Eagles offense looked bad overall . That and the turnovers should of made this a classic run up the score beatdown by the Hawks offense ; but it never materialized . An ugly win is still a win .

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Russ holding onto the ball for too long, and under throwing the long ball, have been issues for a long time.

At the same time, he is one of the best at generating something by holding onto the ball too long, and one of the most successful at connecting on those deep shots, yes even the underthrown ones.

The throw to a wide open Hollister was absolutely inexcusable. Thankfully, he has settled down some, and those early game overthrows are becoming fewer and fewer. Could be Schotty is scheming to avoid those kind of situations. Could be Russ is maturing and settling into game mode Russ faster.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
The test for our D will be next week.

I"m not so sure yet if the improvement to the Dline and DB's isn't due to our opponents Crappy, OL and lack of any credible receivers during the past 2 weeks. We'll have a better barometer against the Vikings.

Ruminator

Reaction score
For the remainder of the season, I expect Carroll's list of priorities for improvement to have the OL at the very top with everything else secondary to it.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
getnasty":38we4yvd said:
Russ holding on to the ball is a blessing and a curse. Seems like it works out sometimes and he makes a big play out of nothing or he takes a sack and kills the drive.

Most of those sacks come on 3rd down when a sack really doesn't hurt you. Better than a turnover. Russ is far better at not giving up the 1st down sack that really kills drives.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1nkp2g4m said:

falcongoggles":1nkp2g4m said:

Wilson has always been responsible for what IMO is an atypically high number of his sacks, but TBH when he's inside the pocket just taking the sack is better than the alternative, IMO.

To Wilson's credit he's really, really good at throwing the ball away (which is a skill), and over the years he's just toed that line amazingly (full disclosure: I think he gets away with intentional grounding more than anybody in the NFL, but it's because he plays as the rules are called, not as they're written <--- this is a compliment to him).

The sacks he's taking are when he's nowhere even close to being outside of the tackle box for the throwaway, and the alternative is potentially throwing the ball up and it getting picked.

As the fan of a team with a QB who isn't NEARLY as good at giving up on a play (throw aways and taking sacks) and gets picks because of it, Wilson is just better at this, and one of the reasons he has so few picks is that he plays the game smartly and throws the ball away a ton when he's out of the box (or even close to being out the box) and takes sacks when he's deep in it.

An argument that could be made is that Wilson, like Rodgers, is too oriented toward chunk plays and overlooks open receivers underneath, but while true, for Wilson, I think this applies less. He's the best deep ball thrower in the NFL and is still ridiculously efficient while being oriented toward the chunk play, so I don't really see what the problem is, TBH. That causes some sacks, sure, but that's the trade-off for getting those chunk play deep balls that he has multiples of per game.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1onlmcp7 said:

Thank you for this observation. I meant to add that on my reply to the other ruminations thread, and this is been something I've been claiming for weeks. despite his overall MVP play, many balls have been underthrown and players have had to wait or come back on balls that if not underthrown would lead to bigger plays or good YAC.

quadsas

Reaction score
My impression about DK:

The guy will be one of the best receivers in NFL next year. He gets open on like every single play, it is ridiculous, he just needs to work on his hands

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkGA":256co81q said:
I wonder if the wind factored into the errant throws. The deep balls I could see, though I would think that over throw to Hollister would have been affected by the wind.

Definitely with the deep balls the wind was a factor.

But the Hollister TD overthrow? Yikes. No.

My biggest takeaway from yesterday's game is even without Clowney (and Reed for half the game), this defense definitely looks like it's turned the corner, and now I'm completely on board as the Hawks being a legitimate SB contender.

We're back to press covering and dropping McDougald down into the box now that Pete trusts Diggs to play the Earl role.........and that means we're back to playing smothering physical Hawk D.

kf3339

Reaction score
I pretty much agree with everything already posted about the game. The defense played great without Clowney which is a great sign! The offense was horrid for most of the game, but a lot of credit should go the the Eagle D as well . Sometimes the other team comes to play as well!

We have our issues to sort out on the O-line and DK needs to work on his hands this offseason. Carson really needs to get his head together because these fumbles are hurting the team and his prospects going forward. But Penny is starting to show some signs of being an important piece of our offense. It's still early, but I like his chances!

But we are 9-2 which I wouldn't have guessed at the start of this season. We just need both sides of the ball to play well in the same game and watch out!

John63

Reaction score
Mad Dog":13tpblas said:
getnasty":13tpblas said:

Most of those sacks come on 3rd down when a sack really doesn't hurt you. Better than a turnover. Russ is far better at not giving up the 1st down sack that really kills drives.

Yes and lets be clear most of the time its 3rd and long so you nee longer routes and that takes time.

John63

Reaction score
You know what I changed my mind time to trade Wilson, cant hit everyone in stride every time like every other QB in the league, gives his Wr a chance instead of over throwing them like all the other QBs, does not throw the ball away even when in the box instead takes sacks, and cant throw in the rain or wind like all the other QBs I mean the Philly QB did great in the wind, Dak did great in the rain so its obviously Wilson, the drops are Wilson he just cant throw the ball that the Wr can catch. He just is not that good, its all the Wrs, scheme, oline and RBs. trade him. Send him to Denver for Flacco. I mean really, Wilson is only top 6, in yards, ypa, tds, QBR, QB rating. That sucks we need #1 in every category like....well no one but thats what we need. A qb who complete 100% of his passes no matter what, can play in the rain and wind and still be 100% perfect, play in the wind and be perfect, can throw the ball away even when in the pocket and not get called, can throw a ball that is never dropped, and always hit the WR in stride or over throw them instead of giving them a chance, and most importantly not hold the ball for more than 2 second seven though all the WR went deep, and you need 7+ yards and no one is open, Throw it anyway just don't hold it, better to punt ever time then hold it and wait on your WRs. Oh and no matter what never take a sack even if they get there in under 2 seconds and no one is open and you still in the box. No excuse. That's what we need, and that is not Wilson so let trade him and get the Person who is perfect no matter what all the time. after all there have been ....well know one but let's get the anyway. Yup time to trade Wilson lets someone else deal with his..winning ways.

OP
OP
falcongoggles

falcongoggles

Reaction score
John63":2ozzh5cm said:
You know what I changed my mind time to trade Wilson, cant hit everyone in stride every time like every other QB in the league, gives his Wr a chance instead of over throwing them like all the other QBs, does not throw the ball away even when in the box instead takes sacks, and cant throw in the rain or wind like all the other QBs I mean the Philly QB did great in the wind, Dak did great in the rain so its obviously Wilson, the drops are Wilson he just cant throw the ball that the Wr can catch. He just is not that good, its all the Wrs, scheme, oline and RBs. trade him. Send him to Denver for Flacco. I mean really, Wilson is only top 6, in yards, ypa, tds, QBR, QB rating. That sucks we need #1 in every category like....well no one but thats what we need. A qb who complete 100% of his passes no matter what, can play in the rain and wind and still be 100% perfect, play in the wind and be perfect, can throw the ball away even when in the pocket and not get called, can throw a ball that is never dropped, and always hit the WR in stride or over throw them instead of giving them a chance, and most importantly not hold the ball for more than 2 second seven though all the WR went deep, and you need 7+ yards and no one is open, Throw it anyway just don't hold it, better to punt ever time then hold it and wait on your WRs. Oh and no matter what never take a sack even if they get there in under 2 seconds and no one is open and you still in the box. No excuse. That's what we need, and that is not Wilson so let trade him and get the Person who is perfect no matter what all the time. after all there have been ....well know one but let's get the anyway. Yup time to trade Wilson lets someone else deal with his..winning ways.

TL;DR - no one cares about your long winded dogmatic defense of what I can only assume is a family member.

Latest posts