Random Thoughts™ on the Giants game

Status
Not open for further replies.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I don't think this is on Lynch. The o line has been getting beat up front a bit and the holes aren't as big as they were last year. I think its just a matter of cleaning things up in relation to the o line working together as well as the fullbacks.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Today was Wilson's most inaccurate day in the NFL, IMO. I know the stats don't say that, but I can't recall another game where he had as many seriously off-target throws.

I'm exceptionally happy with our defense and special teams today, but this game is probably in the top five for worst offensive performances in the history of the NFL where the defense got five interceptions. Five ints, and we finish with 23 points against a weak overall team? Ridiculous.

In regards to Lynch...I don't know. It's possible his running style is so hard that he has hit the 30-year-old barrier at the ripe old age of 27...Probably not, but I guess time will tell.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I think the truth lies in both the fact that our OL is not opening up the holes in the running game as they have in the past and that Lynch is slowing down simply because he's been a giant brick of dynamite in such a short career in the NFL which translates to exponential wear-and-tear.

Beast Mode still has some gas left in his tank no doubt, but I would really, really love to win the SB this year for many reasons but one of them being so Lynch can get the ring he deserves.

The clock doesn't stop ticking for anyone.

gabel

Reaction score
Byron Maxwell looks like the second best cb on the team a head of Browner. I think we starts in the playoffs.

Jeremy Lane is a "player" who comes to win and leaves all on the field very excited about his future.

Ricardo Lockette looks like he doesn't belong out there can't see him on the roster at the end of the year.

How did they get Luke Wilson in the 5th round he has so much ability.

I think Unger has being playing injured since the first San Fran game and it's effecting the running game. Hopefully he will get a couple of weeks off if we clinch a bye next week.

Jordan Hill looked good in the one and only play that I noticed he was out there. I hope he gets more playing time we might need him in the playoffs.

Pete Carrol is the most underrated coach of all time. Best Seahawks coach ever.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":hcrq0d5i said:
Lynch had 110+ all-purpose yards today. He was our most productive skill player. Teams are gearing up to stop the run against Seattle. I'm sure that was especially true this week with the threat of a snow game. Let's not overlook the fact that the Giants also have a top 10 DVOA defense. I'm sure we still have some blocking issues, but not worried about Lynch at all.

He had a great day in fantasy football. In actual football, not quite as much.

For weeks now Lynch has struggled in regards to yards after contact, which before had been his biggest strength. I don't really care that Lynch had some cheap receiving yards on a couple of busted plays, though I did love his stiff arm to ensure a 1st on a 13 yard grab early in the game.

He seemingly looks like the same player. I kind of think this is just a slump he's in, but then again, seven out of fourteen games he's struggled. That REALLY jumps out given the style of offense, run blocking, and read option help. That's concerning, especially since even the backup OL was very good at run blocking.

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
Lynch is starting to go down on contact he used to bull through. I agree with the poster that said he looks tired. While I've been somewhat concerned, I think he'll flip a switch come playoffs. That 2 yard TD run showed he's still got the strength and drive when he really wants to call on it.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
imnKOgnito":3neu4i8p said:
Lynch is starting to go down on contact he used to bull through. I agree with the poster that said he looks tired. While I've been somewhat concerned, I think he'll flip a switch come playoffs. That 2 yard TD run showed he's still got the strength and drive when he really wants to call on it.

Agreed.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Aros":f1k0snvq said:
I think the truth lies in both the fact that our OL is not opening up the holes in the running game as they have in the past and that Lynch is slowing down simply because he's been a giant brick of dynamite in such a short career in the NFL which translates to exponential wear-and-tear.

OL is opening isn't opening huge holes but they are getting push. The run blocking has dropped off some when we got our starters back, but I'd say it looks average at worst. Lynch is NOT maximizing his yardage the past month or so the way he did earlier in the season.

A point in Lynch's favor is that Turbin hasn't been producing either. Seattle needs to give Michael looks and might want to consider rotating out linemen to see if they can make some in-house improvements.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Well done again Kearly, and I too am starting to worry about the offense. Something just doesn't seem right with them right now.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Not worried about Lynch. He has struggled a bit since the O-line starters returned, and that unit has not looked sharp. Besides, he was doing great catching the ball.

Did you all watch his touchdown? Vintage Lynch

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I think we need to have both Lynch and Miller/Willson chip block and just run out for a catch more often. We seem to absolutely shred defenses almost every time we do it a fair amount.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
kearly":zu83r7m0 said:
A point in Lynch's favor is that Turbin hasn't been producing either. Seattle needs to give Michael looks and might want to consider rotating out linemen to see if they can make some in-house improvements.

I've been calling for Michael for weeks...I still don't get why we don't put him in the game as a change-up if nothing more.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Kearly, I recall that you thought the 49ers would win the division because they had an easier schedule, which I believe they definitely do in terms of 10AM starts and in terms of opponent DVOA.

OK, with that said, assuming Seattle can win one of their next two and win the division, do you think that your prediction was (thankfully) off because SF is worse than you thought, Seattle is even better than you thought, or because of some mixture of the two?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1y5tvwvp said:
Today was Wilson's most inaccurate day in the NFL, IMO. I know the stats don't say that, but I can't recall another game where he had as many seriously off-target throws.

I'm exceptionally happy with our defense and special teams today, but this game is probably in the top five for worst offensive performances in the history of the NFL where the defense got five interceptions. Five ints, and we finish with 23 points against a weak overall team? Ridiculous.

In regards to Lynch...I don't know. It's possible his running style is so hard that he has hit the 30-year-old barrier at the ripe old age of 27...Probably not, but I guess time will tell.
Completely agree with Roland on this. Wilson's worst game since mid-season last year. He missed 2 easy TD passes to Zach and the pick was awful, maybe his worst pass of the year. It was forced without even looking the safety off. I believe he was frustrated and forced that trying to get a TD instead of yet another FG. He ran and scrambled well but to win in the playoffs he must throw more accurate passes.

As for Lynch, I too am worried. Man I want to see Michael at least as a change of pace. Turbin is very average IMO.

D and ST killed it today.

Good points about Tate, kearly. Most games he makes a couple of those catches. He will from here on out. And he must be re-signed. And thanks as always for the thoughts. I miss them when you don't have time.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I'm not concerned about Lynch. One of the things the Giants defend well is the run. What bothered me more today was Bevell not using the pass to open the run game up. The Giants were blitzing a safety and keeping 7/8 in the box for awhile.. in large part because our playcalling was predictable.

I'd like to see Bevell get aggressive to back off the safety and linebackers in run defense.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2fgjlv7a said:
........What bothered me more today was Bevell not using the pass to open the run game up. The Giants were blitzing a safety and keeping 7/8 in the box for awhile.. in large part because our playcalling was predictable.

I'd like to see Bevell get aggressive to back off the safety and linebackers in run defense.
The first quarter and a half or so he didn't throw on first down that I can remember so yeah, this.

McGruff

Reaction score
Bevell can't win. Early in the season he didn't run enough. Now he runs too much.

Seafan

Reaction score
Pete has been protecting Lynch, keeping his carries down which is ok by me. He obviously doesn't have the same acceleration. But you can't criticize the Beast's toughness. That TD run was Beast at his toughest, I don't know of another RB in the league who could have done that. Go back and watch that play. That's exactly what the Hawks will need in the playoffs. There is no doubt some ailment(s) may be keeping Lynch from his 100% best. Back, shoulder, knee? He's had some glimmers of his former self that have been called back the past few weeks. No doubt the mess on the OL has hurt the running game. Turbin has been taking some of the load off and I think we'll likely see a little less of Marshawn the next couple weeks. I'm not worried about this. If Lynch were on IR I'd be a little worried. I think Pete is playing his cards right.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
If Russ was this off, you can bet he knows and will be studying film all week. I don't worry about DangeRuss not knowing or trying to improve. Lynch could be feeling the wear and tear of his career but at the same time I am so stoked at how they are finally using him as a receiver. I always knew he could catch and be a dangerous weapon this way(unlike Alexander who couldn't catch a cold). I will be watching this game tomorrow on my computer to get a better feel of how the offense is flowing. It really sucks to view the game on a ticker. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts