Rams vs 49ers

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I love that no 49er fans are using gifs of those two plays right now. Moving pictures? Hell nah, they don't frame our case like the still shots.

SF49r

Reaction score
Marvin49":3o6gtcyz said:
For the record....

I'm upset with the officiating, but it didn't cost the 49ers the game. The game was horribly officiated from top to bottom and bad calls were made both ways.

Gore fumbled. Tavon Austin did NOT step out of bounds (tho that play was replayed anyway on offsetting penatlies).

As for the Crabtree and Kap plays at the end...I disagree. I think it was VERY close. IMO if the ref had called TD on either play they would have stood because the visual evidence wasn't there to overturn.

So...essentially...Niners were up a creek on both calls because there was no visual evidence to overturn once the initial call was made.

Again tho...refs were terrible all day with calls on both teams. No excuse. Niners sucked yesterday. O-Line play in particular was atrocious.
Jerome Boger. Enough said.

Barakas

Reaction score
Marvin49":3ncg656u said:
45Hawker":3ncg656u said:
FriscosFinest":3ncg656u said:
yeah i thought the crabtree catch was a TD.. it definitely broke the plane.. atleast thats how ive always understood it.
I didn't think it was a catch - it looked like the tip of the ball touched the ground to help him secure possession. Hard to determine, I admit.

BUT, since the refs determined that it was indeed a catch, I think it should have been a TD. When Crabtree made the catch, the ball had broken the plane. 9ers got screwed on that one.

And then the fumble happened. It was inconclusive as to where Kap fumbled. He very well could have been in. What a gut-punch way to lose.

Game should never have been close and calls were bad both ways....but OUCH those two images below make it tough to swallow.

1457578_10152781007365126_8129260679206236435_n.jpg

B1enDm6CQAAe CX

Come on Marvin....at least on the first picture you need to stop being a homer. It's the Calvin Johnson rule. Crabtree was going to the ground of his own accord therefore he has to "complete the process of the catch" before it's a touchdown. He did not complete that process while the football was still in the end zone. It's cut and dry. Go find the clip on youtube that made the "Calvin Johnson rule" and you'll understand why that was not a TD.

As to the second picture, that still image does not show that the ball is not already beginning to slip out of his hand. It also does not show that the ball has broken the goal line plane. I'm sure someone with excellent video skills can take cues like where the ball is in regards to Kap's helmet and where Kap's helmet is in regard to the guy's ass and then relate that to that guy's left and right leg and do some video math geometry wizardry but until that's done just accept that it was a fumble on seahawks.net.

Oh and..... :49ersmall:

253hawk

Reaction score
FriscosFinest":1wd30zau said:
yeah i thought the crabtree catch was a TD.. it definitely broke the plane.. atleast thats how ive always understood it.

There's no possession until he hits the ground though and the ball moves forward slightly, 'resetting' the qualifications needed for a complete catch. It's no different than a sideline catch going out of bounds and the ball moving in the receiver's arms. I think Crabtree may have completed the catch, but inside the 1 yard line and not on the goal plane. It's the Megatron Rule to a T.

In 2005, Shockey jumped and caught a pass and then had the ball dislodged from his body the instant his feet touched the ground and it was ruled a TD, despite the NFL apologizing to Holmgren for it (and then later denying the apology because they don't like to publically admit fault.)

hoxrox

Reaction score
The Rams are enjoying their spoiler role this year. Please do us all a favor and beat the Cardinals.

RedAlice

Reaction score
hoxrox":2aqhdeqp said:
The Rams are enjoying their spoiler role this year. Please do us all a favor and beat the Cardinals.

That is the plan.

I'm going to the game with some Cards fans - they rooted for the Rams v Hawks and v Niners. So, we will see how it goes v them now.

Seems only right that they should lose to the Rams as well. :D

RedAlice

Reaction score
pehawk":ojgqmv7x said:
Awesome now our NFL forum is 49ers AND Rams talk. I swear we have more people that are fans of their team than actually love or follow the game.

You want to know who I root for when the Rams and 49ers play? A terrorist attack.

Actually, now that there is also a competent Cards fan posting here, it's the only board in the NFC W that allows for decent conversation about the NFC W teams and games as a whole. It also has the correct organization for it, and enough intelligent posters to keep constant football conversation about the entire division.

Take that as a huge positive for the board organizers, mods, and posters - it is by far the best run board in the NFC W, if not the league.

Barakas

Reaction score
RedAlice":2q2s56d2 said:
pehawk":2q2s56d2 said:
Awesome now our NFL forum is 49ers AND Rams talk. I swear we have more people that are fans of their team than actually love or follow the game.

You want to know who I root for when the Rams and 49ers play? A terrorist attack.

Actually, now that there is also a competent Cards fan posting here, it's the only board in the NFC W that allows for decent conversation about the NFC W teams and games as a whole. It also has the correct organization for it, and enough intelligent posters to keep constant football conversation about the entire division.

Take that as a huge positive for the board organizers, mods, and posters - it is by far the best run board in the NFC W, if not the league.

Thanks for that. In contrast, I was reading webzone last night and one of their veteran posters made a comment about Kappy maybe not being their QB of the future and he started receiving threats via PM.

Sheesh....sure glad that doesn't go on here.

HawkWow

Reaction score
pehawk":2m59o29y said:
This is like watching my two creepy uncles fight (one of which dates 16yo's...regardless of sex...and the other's a swinger).

Swordfight, Pe?

HawkWow

Reaction score
Marvin49":2trj9mx0 said:
45Hawker":2trj9mx0 said:
FriscosFinest":2trj9mx0 said:
I didn't think it was a catch - it looked like the tip of the ball touched the ground to help him secure possession. Hard to determine, I admit.

BUT, since the refs determined that it was indeed a catch, I think it should have been a TD. When Crabtree made the catch, the ball had broken the plane. 9ers got screwed on that one.

And then the fumble happened. It was inconclusive as to where Kap fumbled. He very well could have been in. What a gut-punch way to lose.

Game should never have been close and calls were bad both ways....but OUCH those two images below make it tough to swallow.

B1enDm6CQAAe CX

Agreed. The NFL has technology that would make NASA blush, but depend on the eyes of an exhausted old guy standing over on the sideline. I could be wrong but I felt Kap regained possession before fumbling again after he was down.

If I'm elected "Inconclusive" will be another way of saying "do-over". Not we have 6 cameras that couldn't determine the outcome of the event, so we are just going with the snap judgment of that guy standing nervously over there fiddling with a rubber band that he depends on to to count from 1 to 4.

And get some goal line cams for crying out loud. Replay is a marvelous tool and should be used to it's fullest, imo. I don't care about "it slows the game down". Slows the game down for who? The networks? The casual observer? Let's get it right and if we can't, let's do it over. Not a perfect answer to the problem, but change is necessary, regardless, imo.

seahawksflow

Reaction score

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
HansGruber":1zs8jjsb said:
Was just in SF for the weekend. It's back to Giants jerseys and nobody caring about the Niners down there. At least they've got a baseball team worth rooting for, I guess.

Pretty sure this has been covered before, the actual city of SF is more of a baseball town, most of the 49er fans have always come from areas outside the the city itself.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
HawkWow":yox0yoa2 said:
Marvin49":yox0yoa2 said:
45Hawker":yox0yoa2 said:
FriscosFinest":yox0yoa2 said:

B1enDm6CQAAe CX

Agreed. The NFL has technology that would make NASA blush, but depend on the eyes of an exhausted old guy standing over on the sideline. I could be wrong but I felt Kap regained possession before fumbling again after he was down.

If I'm elected "Inconclusive" will be another way of saying "do-over". Not we have 6 cameras that couldn't determine the outcome of the event, so we are just going with the snap judgment of that guy standing nervously over there fiddling with a rubber band that he depends on to to count from 1 to 4.

The only reason it was called a fumble was because Ram player stood up with ball and it was ruled fumble, review has to have enough to overturn ruling on field which they say it did not. Bottom line is Kap broke the plain of the goal with the ball, should have been ruled a TD. Even if later on the find that call was wrong, Refs will just say "Sorry we made a mistake" typical.

We need professional full time refs.

You guys remember the Patriots game last year where Gronk was held in the endzone 10 feet from the ref, no call, no explanation, game ended, later reviewed and said "sorry we make a mistake", it s BS, the NFL makes enough money to hire full time refs.

And get some goal line cams for crying out loud. Replay is a marvelous tool and should be used to it's fullest, imo. I don't care about "it slows the game down". Slows the game down for who? The networks? The casual observer? Let's get it right and if we can't, let's do it over. Not a perfect answer to the problem, but change is necessary, regardless, imo.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Truthfully, LHT, I don't like your team getting hosed any more than I do my own. That's not the essence of sports.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Just for fun, and a 100 posts and two days after the fact, we may as well have the gif.
crabtreecatch.0.0.gif

It's hard for me to see any argument that this is a catch. Ball touches ground; ball moves. Not a catch. EZ. It honestly doesn't seem close to me, at least with this look. Real time, on the field is different, sure. But "upon further review"? It seems silly to even argue, honestly.

And trying to lawyer your way to a TD with, "Well, since they *ruled* it a catch, it has to be *ruled* a touchdown."? That's totally unbecoming, since it wasn't a catch in the first place.

HansGruber

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":2euin1cn said:
HansGruber":2euin1cn said:
Was just in SF for the weekend. It's back to Giants jerseys and nobody caring about the Niners down there. At least they've got a baseball team worth rooting for, I guess.

Pretty sure this has been covered before, the actual city of SF is more of a baseball town, most of the 49er fans have always come from areas outside the the city itself.

So I guess they really ARE the Santa Clara 49ers.

Kinda funny. I was walking around in my Seahawks jersey all weekend in SF and San Jose, and not a peep. The only comments I got were from some hipster douches making jokes about "sportsball" (in a sports bar).

It was like a scene from the Twilight Zone. For the last three years, this forum (and San Francisco) has been filled with hipster douches in Niner jerseys laughing at Seahawk fans, calling us bandwagoners and bragging that they were around to watch Joe Montana win all those Lombardi's back in the 80's. I'd just laugh, and say, "yeah, sure. Haven't seen a 49er fan in SF since the early 90's". But they'd argue with you all day long about how the 12th Man just came along.

And now, I'm back to laughing at an empty room again. Even the SF bartender shrugged his shoulders when I asked where the Whiner fans were at. Amusingly, he said something about the Giants being the only team anyone cared about for a long time. Guess that little blip of "diehards" from 2010-2012 just didn't last long enough to really gain any traction.

Ah well. Why would anyone want to voluntarily watch that clown show? I can hardly blame them. The Whiners are basically the Seattle Mariners of football.

chris98251

Reaction score
That wasn't a catch, the ball was never put away and it was continuously moving. Never had control of the possession.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkWow":e8gmsujf said:

:lol:

So let me get this straight... you would rather have a rule in place, that basically puts a mulligan into play when replay is "inconclusive" .. than to just decide that you can't really decipher one way or the other if the proper call was made and to leave it as called?

How in the world does that solve anything? Kaep fumbled, clear as day... the Rams recovered... clear as day. Just because there isn't a camera angle that breaks down if he had possession for a split second as it crossed the goal-line .. doesn't mean the Rams should be punished for Kaep's mistake.

Here's an easy way to fix this problem for the 49ers and for all teams in the NFL:

Don't fumble the ball on the one foot line.

It's fun to blame the refs for the loss, but just like our ending to the Rams game.. it should have never been in their hands to begin with.

Latest posts