Quarterback options for 2024

Chawker

Reaction score
We don't need a superstar to win a championship, we proved that with russ.

Just a QB that doesn't turn the ball over and has the will to win. I'd look at Travis Jordan in the later rounds, big chip guy.

Ozzy

Reaction score
We don't need a superstar to win a championship, we proved that with russ.

Just a QB that doesn't turn the ball over and has the will to win. I'd look at Travis Jordan in the later rounds, big chip guy.

Russ was a superstar though even as early as the SB. Add up his rushing/passing yardage, TD/int ratio, passer rating, 4th quarter heroics that year etc and he was a stud. I still think it’s really, really hard to win without an elite or borderline elite QB.

WarHawks

Reaction score
^This. You pretty much need a top five offense and top ten defense to have a good shot to win an owl. There have been a few exceptions, but very few. Hard to have a top five offense without a top five qb.

flv2

Reaction score
Geno is worth, at minimum, a 2nd and a 3rd because his contract is so low related to production. Comparable QBs will be getting $35-50M in 2024.
I strongly dispute this. Smith signed for $27.5M, $22.5M, and $25M as his 3 contract year figures with the potential to increase that through performance bonuses in the 2nd and 3rd years. If he was worth $35M+ per year he wouldn't have signed for such a discount, and he's worth less now than he was last year. $22.5M for 2024 is a borderline decision. I'm not sure any team would be willing to pay more than that, and the amount they'd be willing to pay above that figure is effectively his trade value. Mayfield played for $4M this year and if Wilson is released it'll be because no team is willing to pay him more than $37M over 2 years that would make a trade preferable to a cut for the Broncos. Teams have overpaid for Ryan, Wentz, and Jones so maybe someone else will this time around, but I wouldn't count on it.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Only half decent qb on the free agent market is Cousins and he will cost 50 mill a year..not happening. Probably not in a great position in the draft to take a qb early that could actually start year 1. Bet on either Geno or Lock as starting qb next year unless we do something really stupid and give up huge picks for Fields.

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
If we hire Slowik, then I could see him bringing Davis Mills. I liked him out of college. Slowik knows what he has in Mills, good or bad. If he didn’t bring him, that would speak volumes.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
I say we roll with Lock. We can release Gino save money and have our new headcoach be in line to draft his QBOTF in either this upcoming draft or next year's draft.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I say we roll with Lock. We can release Gino save money and have our new headcoach be in line to draft his QBOTF in either this upcoming draft or next year's draft.
Why do we keep seeing this suggestion? What is the point of 'rolling with Lock' when you don't view him as a QBOTF?

Geno performed essentially in the 11-15 range for QBs. His projected cap hit for next year is looking like #12 for QBs. In other words, we are essentially paying him his 'value'. (And that's if he doesn't restructure.)

We can't really say the same for Drew.

When Geno had his handful of games when Russ went down, he had some metrics where he fell short of Russ (QBR, ANY/A, Sack Rate), some where they were basically identical (Passer Rating, Success Rate) and was better in some others (Completion Percentage, Rushing Success Rate).

Drew was worse than Geno in every single one of those metrics. There were about a dozen backup QBs who had similar amounts of playing time (2-3 starts) and only 3 of them (Drew, PJ Walker, and Jaren Hall) failed to best their respective starter in at least ONE of those categories. Drew was one of the top paid backup QBs in the league and had the 35th largest QB cap hit.

Jaren Hall is on a 5th Round rookie contract and PJ Walker's cap hit across 2 different teams was still less than half of what the Seahawks paid Lock.

Drew gave us bottom quarter of the league backup play for top quarter of the league backup money and because of that Eagles drive that seems to have confused everyone to that fact, he's probably going to command even MORE.

So, the idea to 'roll with Lock' makes zero sense if you don't see him as the QBOTF.

Either you are full blown tanking, in which case you can get Drew Lock level production for much cheaper than Drew is going to cost or you want to stay competitive while keeping someone for your rookie QB to learn behind, in which case Geno makes far more sense than Drew does.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The new head coach would be in line to draft one regardless and the Geno cut later would result in a bit less dead money. Depends on how competitive the next head coach wants to be.

Someone like Ben Johnson might really want to keep Geno, given the success he'd had with Goff and how analogous Geno is in caliber and playstyle to Goff for essentially the exact same price. These guys aren't going to want to start off losing, they don't have unlimited rope.

ruffENrowdy

Reaction score
Why do we keep seeing this suggestion? What is the point of 'rolling with Lock' when you don't view him as a QBOTF?

Geno performed essentially in the 11-15 range for QBs. His projected cap hit for next year is looking like #12 for QBs. In other words, we are essentially paying him his 'value'. (And that's if he doesn't restructure.)

When Geno had his handful of games when Russ went down, he had some metrics where he fell short of Russ (QBR, ANY/A, Sack Rate), some where they were basically identical (Passer Rating, Success Rate) and was better in some others (Completion Percentage, Rushing Success Rate).

Drew was worse than Geno in every single one of those metrics. There were about a dozen backup QBs who had similar amounts of playing time (2-3 starts) and only 3 of them (Drew, PJ Walker, and Jaren Hall) failed to best their respective starter in at least ONE of those categories. Drew was one of the top paid backup QBs in the league and had the 35th largest QB cap hit.

Jaren Hall is on a 5th Round rookie contract and PJ Walker's cap hit across 2 different teams was still less than half of what the Seahawks paid Lock.

Drew gave us bottom quarter of the league backup play for top quarter of the league backup money and because of that Eagles drive that seems to have confused everyone to that fact, he's probably going to command even MORE.

So, the idea to 'roll with Lock' makes zero sense if you don't see him as the QBOTF.

Either you are full blown tanking, in which case you can get Drew Lock level production for much cheaper than Drew is going to cost or you want to stay competitive while keeping someone for your rookie QB to learn behind, in which case Geno makes far more sense than Drew does.
I'd rather see a qb at least keep getting better lol. Geno is not the answer at all and never will be. The way Drew drove down and scored the game winning td and also his speech after the game was over was amazing. That builds confidence, he should have been the starter the rest of the year at that point. Geno wasn't anything spectacular at all this year, why not try and fire up the team? The defense was done minus a couple players in the last few games.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score

I’d like to draft Bo Nix and roll Lock out of town.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I'd rather see a qb at least keep getting better lol. Geno is not the answer at all and never will be. The way Drew drove down and scored the game winning td and also his speech after the game was over was amazing. That builds confidence, he should have been the starter the rest of the year at that point. Geno wasn't anything spectacular at all this year, why not try and fire up the team? The defense was done minus a couple players in the last few games.
So, your argument is that despite the fact that Geno was much better in terms of actually playing and set the NFL record for go-ahead TD passes in 4th quarter/OT in a season, Drew had better post-game speeches, so he should start?

NFL players aren't fans with weird biases against their starting QB. The defense wasn't going to ball out if Pete Carroll puts in their backup QB for the rest of the season because they'd be inspired. They'd be thinking the team is tanking.

seahawks08

Reaction score
If we truly move away from Pete’s philosophy, we give the control to the new HC to build his staff and choose his players. If I really think like an organization, we have enough talent to make it to the playoffs and lose. If we reevaluate the roster and contracts, they would off load some Safeties and Tight Ends and look for a balance in trenches and fill talent you lost. I would not make a first round pick on QB until I get a feel on the talent and personnel I have that matches my scheme and philosophies. The chance of getting a QB and looking bad in the first round is considered a higher failure than a 2nd or 3rd round pick and failing when I join an organization as a new HC. Just my thoughts.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
You will...Caleb Williams.
I was speaking about what I’d like for the Seahawks.

The Bears will draft Williams. There’s a 70% chance he is Mahomes 2.0. I don’t want to think about the other 30%.

CPHawk

Reaction score
No suggestion to trade us Fields and rip us off Russell Wilson like??
I’d trade for fields. Lock and a 5th rounder. Probably willing to throw in Adams also, but then they would only get a 6th round pick.