Quarterback options for 2024

renofox

Reaction score
Depending on how the combine and stuff go, I'd have no problem taking him in the first round. Getting him in the third would give me the jizzums.
I'd be good with that only if there were no top Edge or OT candidates available at #16 AND they traded the 1st for a 1st and a 2nd or very early 3rd.

This team NEEDS Edge (Sorry, Mafe is bad against the run lately and who knows if he'll progress. He's a.great rotation piece but I'd rather see a higher quality Edge to pair with Nwosu) and OT (my confidence in Lucas' continuing health is <10%).

renofox

Reaction score
I believe how the contract was worked, the Hawks can get out of his contact for nothing?
He has ~$20M dead money that will be hitting the cap over the next 1-2 years whether he is released, retained or traded. 2/3 of his 2023 money was pushed forward.

He must be traded or cut between 3/13 and 3/16 or his ~$10M roster bonus for 2024 is guaranteed.

12forlife

Reaction score
He has ~$20M dead money that will be hitting the cap over the next 1-2 years whether he is released, retained or traded. 2/3 of his 2023 money was pushed forward.

He must be traded or cut between 3/13 and 3/16 or his ~$10M roster bonus for 2024 is guaranteed.
Well then better start putting the feelers out their. See if there is anyone desperate enough for an average aging QB? Be lucky to get a 4th rd pick out of him, even if taking him for is position as a backup.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Lock has a better arm, faster, bigger, and younger than Geno.
Plus, he's cheaper to keep.
The only advantage Geno had over Lock was time in the system.
There will be an entirely new system next year.

Now, tell me...... What advantage does Geno have over Lock now?

renofox

Reaction score
He has a 17M dead cap hit if he's cut. I believe that's gauranteed.
Yep. Once the dead money is on the books it is there regardless of whether the player is retained, released, or traded. Future dead money accelerates into the current season without a post 6/1 designation.

renofox

Reaction score
Well then better start putting the feelers out their. See if there is anyone desperate enough for an average aging QB? Be lucky to get a 4th rd pick out of him, even if taking him for is position as a backup.
Geno is worth, at minimum, a 2nd and a 3rd because his contract is so low related to production. Comparable QBs will be getting $35-50M in 2024.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Lock has a better arm, faster, bigger, and younger than Geno.
Plus, he's cheaper to keep.
The only advantage Geno had over Lock was time in the system.
There will be an entirely new system next year.

Now, tell me...... What advantage does Geno have over Lock now?
You mean besides proven starting-level production, the record for all time go ahead touchdowns set this year, better overall processing, better pocket awareness, and top-half numbers in nearly every regard over the past two years? Plus a winning record on a team with a consistently terrible defense, vanishing running game, and generally bad OL?

Nothin' I guess

12forlife

Reaction score
Geno is worth, at minimum, a 2nd and a 3rd because his contract is so low related to production. Comparable QBs will be getting $35-50M in 2024.
And that is where the trouble is. The league as a whole the QB position as a whole is underwhelming. I believe alot of it has to due between guys like Brady, Roethlisberger, and Brees retiring. Then you add in covid, which led to dead QB drafts in '21 & '22. So now here we are seeing average Joe's making $40+ mil a year, why? Desperation! I'm not an NFL scout, but I see 10+ potential NFL starters entering the Draft the next 2 years. Which are better then the average we are witnessing on Sundays now?

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
If that’s accurate JS should be on the phone now*. I’d bank that draft stock for the new coach in a heart beat.

*yeah I know you can’t legally until March, but…

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
You mean besides proven starting-level production, the record for all time go ahead touchdowns set this year, better overall processing, better pocket awareness, and top-half numbers in nearly every regard over the past two years? Plus a winning record on a team with a consistently terrible defense, vanishing running game, and generally bad OL?

Nothin' I guess
Proven starting-level production, better overall processing, better pocket awareness, and top-half numbers in nearly every regard over the past two years all factors of being in the same system for all those years.

The record for all time go ahead touchdowns set this year just shows that we were down for three quarters.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Who ever the QB is, he needs to have a quick release.. Needs to be able to spot someone open withen 1.4 secs. Our line cannot contain anyone and our previous QB's are and have been slow to setup and throw.
That will totally change with the new scheme and playcalling/audibling etc. We may have better pass blocking that we thought.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Why? He is for sure getting punched by a teammate in the nfl.

At this point we should trade DK, this year 1 and next years 1 to move up and get Williams. Who for some reason has fallen down mock draft boards.
DK is a known quantity. No draft pick ever will be, no matter how high.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The record for all time go ahead touchdowns set this year just shows that we were down for three quarters.
Good things happen, you frame them into a bad thing. All the proof I need that this is mental gymnastics to protect priors. It's transparent.

Also, Geno had a single year more than Lock in the Waldron offense, which is an offense that immediately changed pretty significantly post-Russ.

CPHawk

Reaction score
DK is a known quantity. No draft pick ever will be, no matter how high.
Depends on the next HC. Pete wasn’t utilizing DK, that’s why I thought we should trade him. But if we get a guy who showcases his talents, then I wouldn’t trade him.

GemCity

Reaction score
Definitely depends on the next head coach.

I wanted a QB in the last draft. Thats IF JS liked one. Don’t get me wrong…Spoon is one of my favorite Hawks…maybe THE favorite.

But, as important as QB is, defense is by far and large the biggest concern on this team.

We’d all love to see a mobile gunslinger back there.

As GM and/or coach, would you really invest what it’s going to take to grab a quality QB in the early rounds (1st)? Some of the names mentioned in these forums are likely going to be gone before we pick. Or would you be looking at Edge, LB, Safety….to name a few.

Preferred option - get TB or RW type lucky.

Hard choice. Offensive minded coach comes in, I can see us trading Geno (or at least trying).

Dan Quinn comes in, I wouldn’t be surprised to see mostly defense and an offensive lineman or two.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Depends on the next HC. Pete wasn’t utilizing DK, that’s why I thought we should trade him. But if we get a guy who showcases his talents, then I wouldn’t trade him.
Undrafted players are %100 question marks. There countless stories of highly-touted busts. We should only use picks to trade up. The brilliant JS has never traded players for picks.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
The Vikings had the #2 offensive line in pass blocking, arguably the best receiver in the league, and they play in a dome. Cousins had an excellent start to the season, but statistically, over the last five years, he hasn't been that great.

I didn't say he would'nt be an upgrade over Geno. Feel free to read my post.
I think he'd be at best, maybe 5-10% better than Geno with our roster, but cost way more. All that Achilles tear did was save him from embarrassing himself in the playoffs or at the end of the regular season. Cousins behind our o-line this season would've been no better than Geno and quite possibly worse.

Latest posts