QB up the middle

MLTHawk

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying that I loved the improved run defense yesterday. I think Michael Bennett starting at the 5 tech instead of Big Red, might have had something to do with that. Bennett is legit and we need to find a way to lock this guy up next year. His inside pass rush is exactly what this team has always needed.

That being said, I have a nit pick question. For the second week in a row, quarterbacks have had really good success running up the middle for the third down conversion. They aren't exactly the fleetest of feet quarterbacks. What do you guys expect to see in order to counter this?

Oh and :49ersmall:

Hawks46

Reaction score
I will say you have to stay in your lanes as a pass rusher against Kaepernick. He'll be getting 15 ypc against us if we leave the middle of the field that open.

Brees is also a guy who it's better to have a couple of big guys in front of him, like Russell. I'm not worried about him running, but it's better to constrict his passing lanes.

chawx

Reaction score
That was just a smart play by Ryan, instead of forcing a throw, he took off. There's no need to commit a LB to spy a guy like him, and our DL got pushed out to the edges on the pass rush...those are just one of those plays that decent NFL QBs can make, I'm not worried about it.

With Kraeper, you definitely have to stay disciplined on your pass rush and probably commit an LB to spy on those 3rd and longs. I think 71-16 pretty much explains that we know how to play against the run-happy Kraeperdink and the Whinners

Laloosh

Reaction score
Overly aggressive on the outside. Irvin whiffed pretty big on a blitz as well... Ryan literally ran right past him as he came unblocked up the middle.

Personally, I'm better with Ryan having to run for 1st downs rather than pass for them.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MLTHawk":u6d3vdxl said:
That being said, I have a nit pick question. For the second week in a row, quarterbacks have had really good success running up the middle for the third down conversion. They aren't exactly the fleetest of feet quarterbacks. What do you guys expect to see in order to counter this?

This is one of the downsides of playing man coverage, sometimes the middle of the field is cleared out and gives the QB room to run.

I'm fine with it. I'd rather play nasty man to man press coverage and stuff 8 in the box then play zone which might stop the QB scrambles up the middle.

Latest posts