2012 v 2022 QB room

chrispy

Reaction score
I know time changes the way we remember history, but I'm curious:
Put yourself in pre-season 2012. In this forum, in every article and every website, there were unlimited threads and posts and opinions predicting doom. Seahawks were entering the season with Matt Flynn (2 good performances as a back-up) and Russel Wilson (huge reach in the draft and way too short to see over the line). This year, we have Lock and Geno. Unquestionably, the '22 QB room has more experience, more NFL wins and knows the system better.

Do you remember pre-'22 and, at that time, would you have traded the '12 QB room for the '22 QB room?

Rainger

Reaction score
I know time changes the way we remember history, but I'm curious:
Put yourself in pre-season 2012. In this forum, in every article and every website, there were unlimited threads and posts and opinions predicting doom. Seahawks were entering the season with Matt Flynn (2 good performances as a back-up) and Russel Wilson (huge reach in the draft and way too short to see over the line). This year, we have Lock and Geno. Unquestionably, the '22 QB room has more experience, more NFL wins and knows the system better.

Do you remember pre-'22 and, at that time, would you have traded the '12 QB room for the '22 QB room?
No, I had all the confidence in the world in RW at the time. You can see my posts back then. I knew he would be great. Unfortunately I didn't think it would go to his head the way it did. I thought he was the ultimate team player. Turns out he is a great politician.

What is a politicians only job??? Answer: To get re-elected. Meaning they are only all about themselves.

Last edited:

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The biggest difference is in 2012 the "asterisk" was in the room... and there's no inexplicable outlier today.

Next year we draft our next franchise QB.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I still remember a lot of posters on here and elsewhere that believed Josh Portis, the laptop stealing QB from the University of California (PA) would be our QB.

Then the little engine that could, Mr Wilson, captivated the hearts of the 12s.
I would much rather have the 2012 QB room than the guys here now

BASF

Reaction score
Anyone who watched Russell Wilson play in college (apparently a lot of people here had not {how they skipped the Wisconsin/Michigan State bowl game I will never know}) knew that he was going to be our starter and would be awesome. I would take that ten times out of ten. I had my schedule changed to where I can never watch college football again, so I don't have a feel for Drew Lock, but I doubt he will live up to what Wilson has accomplished.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The 2012 QB room had:
Tarvaris Jackson who had just gone 7-7 with the 2011 hawks only played 10 games with Lynch. He was ok at times with the Vikings
Matt Flynn 2007 LSU national champion QB who had just thrown for 518 yards and 6 TDs against a 10-6 Lions team in his last start
Russell Wilson who had just led Wisconsin to the Rose Bowl and had a cannon for an arm. He was short, but he was quick and could be something (as all rookies are perceived)

The 2022 QB room has:
Geno Smith who has a 20 interception season on his record and whose team improved from 4-12 to 10-6 after he was benched
Drew Lock who has never started a full season in his career and has thrown 147 fewer passes than Gardner Minshew with 16 fewer TDs and 8 more interceptions
Jacob Easson who throws the ball really hard

The QB rooms are not the same. Depending on how all this shakes out and if the team ads a highly drafted rookie the 2023 room might be more like the 2012 room

flv2

Reaction score
Prior to the 2012 season I thought it would be a battle between Jackson and Flynn. Based on the my perspective of the 3 QBs from May '12 and the 3 QBs from May '22 I would take Jackson, Flynn, and Wilson. I didn't think Wilson would be the immediate answer but there was more about him in '12 than there is about Lock or Smith in '22.

toffee

Reaction score
QB room 2012 vs 2022?
  1. We have the second coming of TJax in Geno, on the scale QB prowess, they ain't too far apart, let's call that a wash.
  2. We are comparing a Lock with three seasons of ups and downs, to a newly drafted rookie Russ.
  3. In 2012, no one knew the potential of Russ, in fact ALL EXPERTS from ESPN to Bleach report judged Russ at best a backup.
I think 12s in 2012 would happily swap Russ for Lock.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
its the single worst QB room in the NFL and its not close.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
We're that fanbase trying to polish the turd at this point. The Seahawks are a turd. There were gaps but a team going from Russell Wilson to dudes who aren't even average NFL starter quality? That's a massive drop in what this team can do. Catastrophic.

Hopefully that changes fast.