QB market. Russ + Bucs or (barf) Steelers?

Jville

Reaction score
imnKOgnito":biaiugo8 said:
I see we still have the 'Pete's a horrible coach and hobbling Russ' mindset here. I'd think the last few games vindicates Pete more than Russ. A strong running game and stout defense is a recipe for success for Wilson. Hell... the 49'ers probably win last week AND in two weeks if Wilson is their QB and they run that scheme. If Russell is really worried about his legacy, he oughta buy back in to Pete Ball and win it all again next season.

I can certainly appreciate that view. Better quarterback reads and line calls in 2022 would certainly bring a boost to a 2022 offense. Better individual and group execution would facilitate the chemistry and rhythm that was too often missing in 2021. Lots of room available for realizing potential improvement.

keasley45

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":28r6s2pu said:
How do you explain the team getting outcoached on a regular basis? Especially in the playoffs since they lost 49?

It's funny, we hear from the same people how our talent is awful.... how we can't draft. And yet, with an apparently abysmal roster, we still manage to field a contending team every year. How in the world is that possible with a constantly outcoached HC?

Pick your storyline

The out-coached narrative is tired. I'm pretty sure we are 1st in the league since Pete's been here in loss point differential. Bad coaches can't do that. I also think he's still the winningest coach in the NFC since he's been in the league.

And that ain't because RW is 'saving him' when we havent been great at moving the chains on 3rd down through the air since Russ has been QB. Hass was statistically better even in his last year with the team.... before Russ rescued his floundering program.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
keasley45":31e78ghn said:
SoulfishHawk":31e78ghn said:
How do you explain the team getting outcoached on a regular basis? Especially in the playoffs since they lost 49?

It's funny, we hear from the same people how our talent is awful.... how we can't draft. And yet, with an apparently abysmal roster, we still manage to field a contending team every year. How in the world is that possible with a constantly outcoached HC?

Pick your storyline

The out-coached narrative is tired. I'm pretty sure we are 1st in the league since Pete's been here in loss point differential. Bad coaches can't do that. I also think he's still the winningest coach in the NFC since he's been in the league.

And that ain't because RW is 'saving him' when we havent been great at moving the chains on 3rd down through the air since Russ has been QB. Hass was statistically better even in his last year with the team.... before Russ rescued his floundering program.

Sorry we haven’t been a “contending” team in more than half a Decade.

Jville

Reaction score
We're following team competition.

Isolating a singular target to blame everything on is so simpleton ...... and lazy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
keasley45":157gvarh said:
SoulfishHawk":157gvarh said:

Pick your storyline

I guess it's all about each fans expectations. If you're OK with just contending and getting bounced in the 1st round of the playoffs every year, or not making the playoffs at all? Then oh boy I bet you're glad ownership's giving us more of the Pete and Russ dysfunctional mess show.

But for some of us fans we'd like to see this team get back to NFC Championship games and possible SB's. That ain't happening with the current state of this team and roster.

Also a risk to blow it up. I know that. But once we tasted the Lombardi? Sorry man, I want more. I want more than just hopefully getting a wild card spot and getting our ass kicked by a 3rd string QB no one's ever heard of.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Please show me who is OK with just contending? And just making the playoffs?

Screw that crap. Anything less than NFC Championship isn't good enough. Super Bowl is always the ultimate goal.
But here we are with Pete and Russ likely back. All with Pete trying to sell us on "it's gonna' be different"
Don't tell us, show us.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":xxap1jge said:
Please show me who is OK with just contending? And just making the playoffs?

Screw that crap. Anything less than NFC Championship isn't good enough. Super Bowl is always the ultimate goal.

keasley, he literally just said it.

I also said depends on what your definition of contending is.

Mine is contending for NFC Championships and SB's. Obviously others definition is less.

keasley45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":oyqnv5wl said:
keasley45":oyqnv5wl said:
SoulfishHawk":oyqnv5wl said:

Pick your storyline

I guess it's all about each fans expectations. If you're OK with just contending and getting bounced in the 1st round of the playoffs every year, or not making the playoffs at all? Then oh boy I bet you're glad ownership's giving us more of the Pete and Russ dysfunctional mess show.

But for some of us fans we'd like to see this team get back to NFC Championship games and possible SB's. That ain't happening with the current state of this team and roster.

Also a risk to blow it up. I know that. But once we tasted the Lombardi? Sorry man, I want more. I want more than just hopefully getting a wild card spot and getting our ass kicked by a 3rd string QB no one's ever heard of.

Wasn't making a statement about whether not going deep in the playoffs was ok. Just responding to the outcoached comment. The issues with this team are more complex than that.

keasley45

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":27ozw5dd said:
It's called an opinion. We all have a right to have an opinion still. Don't we?

I thought that was what we were doing? Expressing our opinions?

Jville

Reaction score
Speaking of differing opinions and returning to the 1st post on page 1, I just don't see the Bucs successfully pursuing Wilson. Brady was a very different sort of QB and Bruce Ariens runs a different sort of working environment. They also have some interesting cap challenges on the horizon to work thru.