Q: Has anybody ever seen a flag picked up...

renofox

Reaction score
for OPI because the foul happened away from the play?

I thought they picked it up because there wasn't a clear foul, but just saw replay and it was very clear.

Then PC questioned it in his presser, and it got me thinking. I've seen it called away from the pass before, but I've never seen a flag picked up in that case.

xray

Reaction score
Just guessing , but I think have seen at least a hundred or many more flags picked up , for a variety of reasons over the years .

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Your thread title might cause confusion...as seen above. But I get where yr going with this. In my mind, any pass interference is pass interference whether it impacts the targeted player or not. I cant bring in the play you reference but based on your description, I'd question why the flag was picked up as well.

Though I'd personally prefer such calls not be made at all.

Torc

Reaction score
If I understand it correctly, pass interference can only happen in the area targeted by the pass - it's interfering with the receiver's (or CB's) ability to catch the pass. The action across the field could be holding or an illegal block or pick or somesuch.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
If I understand it correctly, pass interference can only happen in the area targeted by the pass - it's interfering with the receiver's (or CB's) ability to catch the pass. The action across the field could be holding or an illegal block or pick or somesuch.
Yeah, I don't think so, as the Quarterback will sometimes choose to avoid a Receiver if he's being draped on.
I've seen flags come out on OUR DB's for doing just that.
Crap Ref's ignoring or just "looking the other way" doesn't negate the foul.

Torc

Reaction score
No sense in debating when we can just look up the rule:

It is pass interference by either team when any act by a player more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage significantly hinders an eligible player’s opportunity to catch the ball.
You've seen flags for defensive holding when it's across the field from the pass. You don't see pass interference calls. That's also why when the ball is ruled uncatchable they'll pick up the flag - the action has to interfere with the catch.

Hawkpower

Reaction score

The act of pass interference just gets called something different if the ball is thrown elsewhere

Yardage differences apply obviously, but the penalty is just titled different for the same act by the defender

TomAAto Tomato :)