Pryor to the practice squad?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I don't understand what the point will be in keeping Pryor.
He will be a FA next season.
It's unlikely he will ever see action this year.

If we keep 3 qb's we lose Lockette or Bates, if we cut him, we probably keep both Lockette and Bates.

Personally I think Seahawks, Pete and Pryor are just wasting each others time.

themunn

Reaction score
Pryor has 15 games of experience at pro level, to think there is not (significant) room for improvement is folly.
If he can get up to a 60% pass completion rate and a 1-1 TD/INT ratio, would he be backup quality? Absolutely.
And add in the extra dimension of his breakaway speed? Kaepernick wins games because he can run fairly fast and teams can't cope with his dual ability - he had a 4.53 40 time at the combine. Pryor ran a 4.38. Faster than all but 3 players at the 2014 combine.

There is no reason not to carry 3 QBs and bring in Pryor for some 4th quarter action when we're well ahead to get him some much-needed experience playing in a decent team (and against tiring players!), but with Jackson the backup for the (hopefully non-existent) situation where Wilson goes down for a few games

drdiags

Reaction score
Anthony!":2j54bgaq said:
drdiags":2j54bgaq said:
Pryor has already stated he wants to start so I doubt he would re-sign here after his contract expires this year. So the idea of him replacing TJack next year is not an option in my opinion. I think the team is going to try to flip him for trade value if he doesn't beat out TJack.

He will nto beat out TJ, and even if he did, so we let TJ go, have TP for a back up, pray we do not need him, and then next year have no backup, when all along we had a backup who knew the offense, had the respect of the players etc.

Not sure what you are saying here but to be clear, the OP's scenario doesn't make sense to me. And as I stated, Pryor isn't coming back here next year even if they keep him on the 53-man roster this year unless he has a change of heart. As for TJack, he is on a one year contract so chances of him coming back next season are iffy as well.

I see the team keeping TJack as the backup this year.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Whatever Pete and John decide about the back-up QB isn't going to affect 2014 imo.

Perhaps in 2015... but not this year.

TJack will be the back-up and Pryor, if kept, will never see the field.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The thing that bothers me the most about all of this is that we likely do lose Jackson. We might also lose Pryor or we keep him and he barely turns into a serviceable backup next year.

Which leaves us scrambling for an effective backup and we end up with something like the Gabbert syndrome that SF has now. Based on what I have seen so far, Daniels looks like he could at least be at least reasonably capable backup.

So I am not sure why we are in such a hurry to run him off.

I guess I trust Pete and JS here but I am scratching my head on why this is even being contemplated.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Largent80":1s4ds7n9 said:
Anthony!":1s4ds7n9 said:
Largent80":1s4ds7n9 said:
There are 2 pre-season games remaining. We already know T-Jack will play a lot on Friday. Do you think it may be possible to objectively consider all the pre-season games and practices before making a judgement.

Look, I like TJ TJ TJ, however, there is this TEAM thing, and the best players need to be on it. I want to see more of both of them and even Daniels, and see them with the 1's and 2's equally.

So far, that hasn't happened. Against SD, I wish they would have taken Russell out after the 1st quarter so more evaluation could be made. To me, that backup spot is NOT nailed down yet.

Counting you that is 1 person that does not think the backup position is nailed down. Unless TP showed close to starting ability, which he cannot, he has no shot at backup. By the way preseason game 3 the starters will go into the 3rd qtr, then TJ. TP will probably not play, and then comes game 4 which matters little.

How is the backup position nailed down in your eyes when the coaching staff is going to let T-Jack play from the 2nd quarter this week.? They are evaluating just like everyone else. There are 2 games remaining PLUS practices. Couple that with the fact T-Jack has a guaranteed contract and I am saying he is anything but secure in that position.

In case you haven't noticed, we have several "keeper" players due for new contracts. With the obvious gargantuan RW contract on the horizon. T-Jack is NOT entrenched into that backup spot with 2 games remaining. He had better make a good showing on Friday.

First its game 3 so Rw will go to at least half time, so there will be no Tj or anyone in the 2nd qtr. 2nd if the backup was not nailed down Tj would have played more than he has. 3rd TP has shown absolutely nothing to say he can be a backup at this point except how to throw for barely 50%, how to stare down your first read, and run without looking to pass. All things PC does not like. Lastly it make sense, TP is a FA after this year and is not returning at all, TJ is known, respected in the locker room, and if he wants to continue to play will resign as our backup, should we want. Basically what it boils down to is logic, so unless PC does something just to do it, and god help us if he does and Rw gets hurt, because TP could not lead us to 1 victory. TJ will be the backup period. By the way TJ is an FA after this season so keeping him this year will not impact money next year at all.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Largent80":270kvdn1 said:
This should about answer any further questions.....

http://hawkslegacy.com/news/seahawks-ke ... rterbacks/

Not really as there is no quote from anyone from hawks saying this, its just Blount guessing, There are other reporters from other papers saying they do not think TP will be kept. So until there is a quote form the FO or it is official it means little. And again it make no logical sense given TP is also an FA after this year and has already said he wants to start and will not stay if he has no shot, and here he has no shot at all,, barring injury that is.

Anthony!

Reaction score
themunn":3w0h2gph said:
Pryor has 15 games of experience at pro level, to think there is not (significant) room for improvement is folly.
If he can get up to a 60% pass completion rate and a 1-1 TD/INT ratio, would he be backup quality? Absolutely.
And add in the extra dimension of his breakaway speed? Kaepernick wins games because he can run fairly fast and teams can't cope with his dual ability - he had a 4.53 40 time at the combine. Pryor ran a 4.38. Faster than all but 3 players at the 2014 combine.

There is no reason not to carry 3 QBs and bring in Pryor for some 4th quarter action when we're well ahead to get him some much-needed experience playing in a decent team (and against tiring players!), but with Jackson the backup for the (hopefully non-existent) situation where Wilson goes down for a few games

again , why we have no chance of resigning him unless he is given a real chance to start and here he has no chance, that is the part we are all forgetting. So unless PC thinks he can be a QB he can win a SB with, and plans on dumping Rw which would be STUPID, TP will be gone and we will have 2 wasted a roster spot for nothing, right now he is not backup QB ready at all.

Anthony!

Reaction score
drdiags":3qylcxdk said:
Anthony!":3qylcxdk said:
drdiags":3qylcxdk said:
Pryor has already stated he wants to start so I doubt he would re-sign here after his contract expires this year. So the idea of him replacing TJack next year is not an option in my opinion. I think the team is going to try to flip him for trade value if he doesn't beat out TJack.

He will nto beat out TJ, and even if he did, so we let TJ go, have TP for a back up, pray we do not need him, and then next year have no backup, when all along we had a backup who knew the offense, had the respect of the players etc.

Not sure what you are saying here but to be clear, the OP's scenario doesn't make sense to me. And as I stated, Pryor isn't coming back here next year even if they keep him on the 53-man roster this year unless he has a change of heart. As for TJack, he is on a one year contract so chances of him coming back next season are iffy as well.

I see the team keeping TJack as the backup this year.

I agree no sense in wasting time on TP who is not even ready to be a backup and will not resign, while we have TJ who is one of the better backups in the league and we could resign if we wanted

Anthony!

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":za85t6j5 said:
Whatever Pete and John decide about the back-up QB isn't going to affect 2014 imo.

Perhaps in 2015... but not this year.

TJack will be the back-up and Pryor, if kept, will never see the field.

and Pryor will be gone next year, and have used a roster spot that maybe we could have used on someone who might have contributed. That is the whole point.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He's PS eligible but would never clear waivers to get to the PS as some other team would claim him. Think he's being kept as a trade piece and I'd agree the team is unlikely to re-sign him after his present contract is up after this season. Suspect if he isn't cut he'll be gone by the trade deadline or before by a trade to another QB needy team willing to see if they can continue his re-development as a QB.

Uber athlete/marginal QB but very unlikely to ever be a PS candidate at present.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I hope they cut him and I hope the Niners take him.

Can you imagine Blaine Gabbert and Terrelle Pryor on the same football team? That would be worth losing a 7th Rounder. :stirthepot: