Props to Cam Newton

mrt144

Reaction score
storm74":1djmeenu said:
I am not arguing his ability. The guy is a stud. The fact that he has to act like he does actually diminishes his accomplishments imo.

In what way? Saying he's talented and obnoxious isn't diminishing, it's truth.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The entertainment value In the NFL is the marketability of its product through its players. People love characters, personalities, athletes having fun. They want to entertained. The actual game being played is just a part of it. People like Cam because he's entertaining, fun, bit of a douche. Or just aren't bothered by him. Or they love to despise him.

Those that struggle to see the value in all that could use a hard reflection about what it is they think theyre really watching. It's football, a game you can play in your backyard. It's not that serious.

Petulant child? He's an adult playing a kids game. They all are. And seem to have more fun doing it than some watching it.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hearing some of his pregame speech to his guys, I got the impression that he was mature and professional. I still hate the ceremonies from a QB after every play that they make.

I won't claim to have a valid argument, only that I stand by it :)

peppersjap

Reaction score
I don't care for Cam for his actions on the field (just don't like the excessive celebrating and self promotion) but I am very impressed when I hear him interviewed and I think he really is probably a good guy. He had a great year and my hat is off to him.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
Jesus formatting is god awful on this website.

Anyway...

"If Cam wants to be hated and ostracized, he is going about his business perfectly."

Actually, you're wrong.

Cam is in fact doing the exact opposite of being "hated and ostracized". The haters are only making themselves look foolish. Like back in the day when your parents didn't like Elvis or The Beatles.

But don't take my word for it.

"Newton's Celebrity DBI — an index that measures public awareness and impressions of endorsers — has soared this season, according to The Marketing Arm in Dallas.

Seventy-two percent of consumers like him "to some degree," the company said, which puts him alongside mixed martial-arts athlete Ronda Rousey, golfer Rory McIlroy and singer Gwen Stefani."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/un ... story.html

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Cam=Elvis and Beatles (and Gwen Stefani)

This is the world we live in, a world with the Panthers in the Super Bowl.

A world upside down I tell you.

I blame the Seahawks equipment manager... long studs you moron

253hawk

Reaction score
Cary Kollins":3nf999u5 said:
"Newton's Celebrity DBI — an index that measures public awareness and impressions of endorsers — has soared this season, according to The Marketing Arm in Dallas.

Douche Bag Index? It certainly has soared. Probably from ripping off the 'dabbing' thing; everyone and their grandma is doing it without having a clue of what it really means or where it originated. It's the new macarena. Does this clown ever come up with anything on his own?

Newton is just a more successful version of Manziel, nothing more.

253hawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1o9ev76j said:
Newton=Manziel now...

this thread....

Please tell me what my purely subjective opinion should be then?

In terms of attitude and ego, they're extremely similar.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1r7phm3l said:
Cary Kollins":1r7phm3l said:

Explain this please. I'm honestly curious.

The multiple quote thing is a cluster, imo. It's much cleaner on what I'm used to carolinahuddle.com

Also having like 50 posts per page is silly. Would make more sense to have ~15 posts per page.

This is of course nit picky stuff, but mainly it's the quoting system I don't like.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
253hawk":1sbccw1v said:
Uncle Si":1sbccw1v said:
Newton=Manziel now...

this thread....

Not really.

Manziel is a disaster off the field. Literally a spoiled brat. By most accounts he doesn't work hard. He doesn't study the game like a first round QB should.

Newton has been an ideal example for how a NFL player should act off the field. His work ethic and preparation is top notch according to coaches and teammates.

You don't like Newton's celebrations. That's fair.

But comparing him to Johnny Manziel is completely ignorant.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Cary Kollins":3smzami7 said:
peachesenregalia":3smzami7 said:
Cary Kollins":3smzami7 said:

Explain this please. I'm honestly curious.

The multiple quote thing is a cluster F, imo. It's much cleaner on what I'm used to carolinahuddle.com

Also having like 50 posts per page is silly. Would make more sense to have ~15 posts per page.

This is of course nit picky stuff, but mainly it's the quoting system I don't like.

Are you kidding me? Carolina Huddle's quote feature is broken. Half of the time pictures don't even get included with it, and when you hit the quote button the quote just automatically pops up on your post palette in a random position with no text that allows you to move where the quote begins or ends.

It's so much easier to setup your posts when everything is text based. I'm sorry you're having a tough time counting how many quotes and block quotes you need. Get gud. :mrgreen:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
253hawk":34ttveer said:
Uncle Si":34ttveer said:
Newton=Manziel now...

this thread....

Are they? Give me some examples?

Cam have a drinking problem that he continually avoids, despite how it hurts his career and team? Or lie about skipping practices? Caught on video drinking while under supervision, then lie some more? Manziel give balls to kids after TDs? Has he ever led his team to anything, let alone a Super bowl? which one pretends he's in it for the money with his celebrations while the other, well, is just dancing like he really enjoys himself?

Just because its "subjective" doesn't make it any less ridiculous

You don't like Cam's attitude, but the kid's a winner. Lot to be said for that. You don't win in this league just because your talented.

253hawk

Reaction score
^^^ Where did I say I was comparing them off the field?

Cary Kollins":2k3cm3rd said:
Not really.

Manziel is a disaster off the field. Literally a spoiled brat. By most accounts he doesn't work hard. He doesn't study the game like a first round QB should.

Newton has been an ideal example for how a NFL player should act off the field. His work ethic and preparation is top notch according to coaches and teammates.

You don't like Newton's celebrations. That's fair.

But comparing him to Johnny Manziel is completely ignorant.

I was comparing them on the field, not off it. But thanks for taking the initiative to make assumptions.

Do many QB's threaten to slap the @*()#& out of people though? What a great role model.

[youtube]mS8SdSqrhb8[/youtube]

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hold on.. you said "attitude and ego" and you want to compare them "on the field?"

Should we just look at their stats? Because I imagine that would make the comparison even more ridiculous.

And who said he was a role model? Matter of fact, who looks to the NFL for role models?

253hawk

Reaction score
So attitude and ego don't exist on the field? I'm just referring to their athlete identities, not their personal ones.

If you're going to make a big show of giving kids TD balls, you're going to establish a role model status whether you want it or not.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
253hawk":28f4looh said:
So attitude and ego don't exist on the field? I'm just referring to their athlete identities, not their personal ones.

If you're going to make a big show of giving kids TD balls, you're going to establish a role model status whether you want it or not.

Talk about assumptive... maybe he's just being nice and including the kids and fans in what he does.

All these guys have egos. But you're comparing attitude as well. Which one of the two guys you compared do you think puts the time into his profession? Which one is working really hard for himself and his team to get better? That's attitude as well, not just doing celebrating first downs. It's narrow minded to compare the two players on the field when is one is one of the top players in the league and the other is train wreck laughing stock who has one less than 5 games as a pro. On the field, there is literally nothing similar to these two except that they both celebrate. That's it. And they don't even do that very similarly.

253hawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2sdbquyl said:
253hawk":2sdbquyl said:

Talk about assumptive... maybe he's just being nice and including the kids and fans in what he does.

All these guys have egos. But you're comparing attitude as well. Which one of the two guys you compared do you think puts the time into his profession? Which one is working really hard for himself and his team to get better? That's attitude as well, not just doing celebrating first downs. It's narrow minded to compare the two players on the field when is one is one of the top players in the league and the other is train wreck laughing stock who has one less than 5 games as a pro. On the field, there is literally nothing similar to these two except that they both celebrate. That's it. And they don't even do that very similarly.

I'm not comparing their skills or work ethic at all. You're giving osmium a run for its money as density champion.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
253hawk":27jokmym said:
Uncle Si":27jokmym said:
253hawk":27jokmym said:

I'm not comparing their skills or work ethic at all. You're giving osmium a run for its money as density champion.

Brilliant...

Work ethic is no longer associated with character or attitude...

Two guys celebrate... they are so similar!!

253hawk

Reaction score
You just keep pulling assumptions out of thin air like they are completely static values. David Copperfield's got nothing on you.